back to article Samsung battery factory bursts into flame in touching Note 7 tribute

The factory tasked with producing and later recycling the batteries for the self-detonating Samsung Galaxy Note 7 has itself fallen victim to a fire. Defective batteries and other faulty hardware stored in a recycling center went up in smoke at the Samsung SDI facility in Wuqing, Tianjin, in China. No injuries were reported, …

1. thondwe

Fake News

Surely this can't be true can it?!

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Fake News

It is very true.

C.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

The link says a minor fire. If it needed 19 fire engines I'd hate to see their idea of a major fire.

1. Shooter
          Joke

Re: Minor fire

That's what is known over here as a Chinese fire drill.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Minor fire

> That's what is known over here as a Chinese fire drill.

One of those caught fire on a train yesterday.

http://news.sky.com/story/overheating-drill-sparks-fire-on-train-at-dalston-kingsland-station-10760072

2. Tom 64
          Mushroom

"The link says a minor fire. If it needed 19 fire engines I'd hate to see their idea of a major fire."

A Major fire in China would look something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO1q3HwB0y0

1. BillG
            Windows

A Major fire in China would look something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO1q3HwB0y0

Looks like somebody rear-ended a Pinto.

3. Bitbeisser
          Mushroom

>The link says a minor fire. If it needed 19 fire engines I'd hate to see their idea of a major fire.

Something like this probably will qualify

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Tianjin_explosions

4. Richard Boyce

It's possible the 19 were required to prevent it becoming major.

5. Pat Harkin

Well, they're lithium batteries. When the first engine sprayed water on the minor fire it sort of didn't go out so thet got a second unit, then another 2 and another 4 and another 8 and then they ran out of engines.

1. AndyS

Pat, li-ion batteries don't go on fire when they get wet, and the recommended action in the case of a li-ion fire is to douse it with large amounts of water (or place it in a bucket) to cool the surrounding cells and any other combustibles and stop the fire spreading. See the FAA document here.

There is this odd urban myth that just because it has lithium in it, it will spontaneously combust when it gets wet, but this simply isn't true. The quantities of metallic lithium are very small, and very well sealed in plastic etc.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Pat, looks like the local firemen are down voting your comment.

2. BillG
        Flame

PLEASE... El Reg... give us an icon for irony!

1. Blitterbug

Re: give us an icon for irony!

I agree - closest we have is facepalm. Close but no cigar.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It is very true.

Nah, I still don't believe it - just too perfect to be true.

2. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

It looks as if it is highly Current.

3. Colabroad
      Joke

...and don't call me Shirley!

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You couldn't make something like this up!

1. Rich 11

You couldn't make something like this up!

Challenge accepted!

5. macjules

Wait until tomorrow. Tomorrow they are going to announce that the company making the iPhone screens had all its windows broken in an unexpected earth tremor. The official spokesperson said "it was as though someone put our factory in their back pocket".

1. dmacleo

HA well done, kudos

2. JamesSmith1

This guy may have been involved. http://www.techtree.com/sites/default/files/2016/9/11.jpg

1. veti Silver badge
      1. Pedigree-Pete
        Happy

Billy Joel.

Thanks for the link veti, also caught the follow on "Piano Man". Clearly a slow Friday. PP

3. David Webb

Confused

Is this an actual case of Irony which can be explained to Americans?

1. cd

Re: Confused

We understood Tony Blair, what's the concern?

1. Number6

If you understood him then please explain all, as none of us did.

1. David Webb

You can explain Tony in one word made from the letters of his surname, Liar. Though I did laugh at Number6's comment, I may be obtaining a sense of humour.

2. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

"We understood Tony Blair, what's the concern?"

Irony, and a bad joke are not the same thing!

2. DNTP

Re: Irony

As an American I understand irony very well, which is ironic because many Americans do not understand irony, despite the irony of irony itself being a trendy means of expression although ironically, it is often interpreted as a counter-cultural viewpoint.

1. paulll

Re: Irony

"As an American I understand irony very well, which is ironic because many Americans do not understand irony,"

Somewhat ironically, that's, "peculiar," not, "ironic."

4. ma1010
    Joke

More corporate arrogance?

...Samsung has now seen its phones, washing machines, financial losses, and factories all explode in various ways. Also execs were caught in a massive corruption scandal.

I've heard that arrogant corporations have a tendency to self-destruct. It looks like Samsung is taking that to heart and in a rather literal fashion.

5. Oengus

Ironic

To see this just 48 hours after seeing a commercial for Samsung batteries advertising how much effort they had put into research and development to make their batteries safer...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ironic

They are! This is a high stakes game of probability, and they made the first move with an in-house fire. By having a great disaster themselves, the probability that further occurrences of similar events is greatly reduced. It happens all the time. I once missed getting hit by a speeding small truck that blew through a stop light, and the car directly behind me was T-boned. I just laughed and unhooked my seat belt for the remainder of the ride, because; luck was with me and the probability of having another accident on the way back was now a HUGE improbability.

It's maths, baby. Get you sum!

1. Adrian 4

Upvoted for poorly appreciated sarcasm

1. Unicornpiss
          Coat

Li-rONic.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Pre-disastered batteries...safest kind.

1. lglethal Silver badge
              Joke

Just to be clear for all the Americans, when we mention Irony, we arent talking about the Iron content of the batteries. Just wanted to make sure we are all on the same page here...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I wasn't great at math, but I do remember from the Probabilities course that the probability at a throw of a dice is not influenced by the previous throws. Likewise, avoiding (or having) a car accident does not change the accident probability for the rest of the journey.

Unless, of course, you unbuckle your seatbelt, which will DEFINITELY increase your risk of injury should you have an accident.

1. David Nash Silver badge

probability at a throw of a dice is not influenced by the previous throws...

Yeah, you shouldn't need to explain that, especially here!

2. veti Silver badge

However, for all we know (to the best of my knowledge there's no good research on the subject) - unbuckling your seatbelt may also drastically reduce your chances of having an accident.

When I was in school, I had "roadcraft" lessons given by an insurance investigator. He liked to say that if you really wanted to cut the accident rate on the roads, what you should do is (1) ban all drivers'-side seatbelts, and (2) mandate instead a six-inch spike sticking out of the steering column at the driver's chest. That, he opined, would cut the total accident rate by at least 90%.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Yeah, you shouldn't need to explain that, especially here!

You might. I got 6 upvotes for badly quoting from the Robin Williams film The World According to Garp (in the film he was looking at a house to buy and a cropduster flew into the front of it fucking the appearance, but possibly not the structure (it was a big wooden house) and he said something along the lines of "Great...it's been pre-disastered; we'll take it"). Someone -correctly- pointing out that this roll of the dice has exactly the same chance as the last roll of the dice got one upvote. Maybe you really do have to state the obvious these days.

veti- your point is valid; but different...it's about risk assesment and that people will assume the same amount of risk...so if you make them safer in one way they'll act more dangerously in another to bring risk levels to "normal"...I forget the theory name. Add seatbelts, people will drive more dodgily. I was in the transition period and I tried seatbelts a couple of times; self-assessed that I drove like a cunt when I felt cocooned and safer and left them off thereafter, preferring to feel and -let's face it be- more at risk and therefore drive better and not have the accident in the first place. Also I was driving lorries at the time and stepping out of a cocoon into a vehicle with no seatbelts and an acre of glass to plummet through just felt stupid.

1. Unicornpiss
              Meh

Pre-disastered

My experience with things of this type is that your first impression is usually going to reflect a trend. For example, if you are test-driving a car and you get a flat tire, you're probably going to have nothing but trouble with it.

I know it isn't statistically sound or logical, but it seems to ring true, at least in my life.

6. Palpy
    Joke

In other news...

...choking fumes envelope Volkswagen's Wolfsburg headquarters; and in Stonington, Monsanto workers are devoured by rogue GMO primroses. Because we need more irony.

1. Rich 11

Re: In other news...

...and Donald Trump drowns in his own bile.

2. Aladdin Sane

rogue GMO primroses

Triffids, surely?

7. Captain DaFt

And?

Company makes defective, explodey batteries.

Company piles rejects in an area out back.

Company now on fire.

Somehow, I'm not surprised.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If I was cynical which I am, I would guess a fire at a battery plant for note 7's would be a really good way for Samsung to avoid liability on future note 7 fires where the owner keep hold of the device. Any claims of not knowing about the problems would potentially be null and void.

If anyone needs an explanation of irony as noted in previous comments then please listen to the classic "Ironic" by alanis morissette, when you can explain the song then you fully understand irony.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife.

That's irony. Not exploding batteries.

1. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

"It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife.

That's irony. Not exploding batteries."

Isn't that just bad luck?

2. A K Stiles

Ironic

The only ironic thing about that song is that all the things she listed were unfortunate circumstances or coincidences but not really irony...

<edit> beaten to it! </edit>

3. tiggity Silver badge

Ten thousand spoons and all you want is a fork

.. oops different subject entirely

2. Baldrickk

Ironic - isn't

www.isitironic.com/alanis-morissette.htm

One of many discussions / rants about this.

e.g. Ed Byrne: "The only ironic thing about that song is it's called 'Ironic' and it's written by a woman who doesn't know what irony is. That's quite ironic."

Unless of course, this is exactly what you meant by "explain the song"

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Ironic - isn't

Spot on Baldrickk.

2. Valerion

Re: Ironic - isn't

Love that Ed Byrne sketch. Saw him do it live back in the 90s.

My favourite:

"A traffic jam when you're already late"

"No, that's just annoying. It would only be ironic if you were a town planner, on your way to give a lecture on how you'd solved all the traffic problems in the city".

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If I was cynical, I'd say that tooling is expensive and accidental fires lead to insurance payouts.

But I'm not, so I won't.

4. genghis_uk

Except Alanis Morissette did not get irony either. Most of the song lyrics relate to annoyances rather than ironic events

<also well and truly beaten to it - oh, well!>

9. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

I accidentally bought a phone (LG G3) with a removable battery.

Now I realise that there are benefits to having a battery with it's own (thin) case, that sits in a dedicated space, not squashed in, glued, bent or otherwise mishandled. Apart from being able to change it in 10 seconds. Long live my new (old) G3! (The quad HD display is magnificent too.)

It has a new LG battery, BTW.

10. Steve Aubrey

Recursive

Next, the fire engines are going to catch on fire.

And me without a recycling icon . . .

11. Unicornpiss
  12. Paul 129
    Black Helicopters

Conspiricy theory [Joke}

I believe the Kerbals have taken over battery processing at Samsung.

13. temporial

It was probably the storage facility used for the Galaxy S8 batteries :).

14. The C Man

Can't help wondering how good their insurance cover is and whether they will claim for the loss of the Notes that were attached to the batteries.

15. Arctic fox
    Trollface

Ladeez and Geeentlemen put your hands together for the Galaxy Note 7.

The gift that keeps on giving!

16. seanj
    Go

Reminds me of Monty Python and the Holy Grail...

"Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked."

17. CPU

It seems the Universe does have a sense of humour.

18. ElectricFox
    Mushroom

Pissup in a brewery?

Sod that, I'm trying to organise a BBQ in a Samsung battery facility...

19. Lotaresco

Reality bites

I wonder if any of the Samsung GN7 fanbhois who were claiming that exploding batteries were "fake news" last year have changed their minds yet? There's been rock-solid evidence that the battery design was not fit for purpose and now this proving that there really is a problem.

20. David Lewis 2
    Happy

Irony?

I don't know about irony, but I submit this is incontrovertible proof that Karma is real.

21. Chris 239

I see they got same team that designed the batteries to dispose of them!

Hmm? I know lets get a few million of those things that have a million ot one chance of bursting into flames, pile then all up together and see what happens!

Well, Duh!

1. jelabarre59

Re: I see they got same team that designed the batteries to dispose of them!

Hmm? I know lets get a few million of those things that have a million ot one chance of bursting into flames, pile then all up together and see what happens!

I'm sure there's a film vault full of nitrate-based films they could store them in instead...

22. David Pearce

Wait until electric vehicles become common. Massively larger batteries, suffering vibration, extreme temperature cycling and many years of service is asking for trouble

23. the future is back!

It's all in the lucky numbers, ironically

Nineteen fire trucks? Samsung's "offshore" battery op has run smack into Chinese reality. 7-4-8 is legendary in China. That magic number = 19 and means Samsung overlooked best practices and suffered the inevitable consequences.

"748: "七四八" In Mandarin this number is pronounced "qī sì bā". If these numbers are stated in certain tones, it has a meaning which roughly translates into: "Why don't you go die?" "去死吧" This combination is more commonly used as an insult to others, or rather, an indirect death threat. Youngsters can jokingly tease each other by saying "你去死吧!". Depending on the mood, place and way of saying this sentence it can confer meanings ranging from joking to insulting or provoking. On the other hand, any 3 digit number that ends with 48 sounds like "wealthy for X lifetimes" (世發) (e.g. 748[七世發] is wealthy for 7 lifetimes"), thus is generally considered lucky, with 448 and 548 being the exceptions since they are also homophones of "死先發"(Wealthy on death) and "唔洗發"(no need/not going to be wealthy)."

Extra credit: "qi" most awesome word in scrabble.. Garçon, more coffee!

24. This post has been deleted by its author

25. Mpeler
    Coat

Money *cough* laundering?

Near the village, the peaceful village, the Li-ion burns tonight...

(Well it IS a recycle center - gets me flameproof coat, AGAIN).....

26. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

I think it was Graeme Garden who once remarked that sometimes, life is very well written.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like