back to article Vivaldi and me: Just browsing? Nah, I'm sold

Some time late last year, without most of us really noticing, the Vivaldi browser became genuinely, startingly useful. I’d met the Opera Software founder Jon von Tetzchner two years ago when he unveiled Vivaldi's technical preview. Jon has always one of the more thoughtful and engaging founders you meet. But what was he doing …

1. Michael Jarve
    Thumb Up

The way it should be...

I've been using Vivaldi since version 1 was released, and it became my default browser this past summer. While most browsers seem to be dumbing down the UI, and taking settings away from the users, it's refreshing to use one that allows virtual micro-management of the UI and settings. When this morning I fired it up, and it offered v 1.7 I had no hesitation to download and install it.

It's stability has been the only sore point in my experience, with random, inexplicable CTD's, the built-in HTML 5 video player crapping out and requiring a page reload to get going again, and some other little odds and ends. It's snappy enough on my circa 2011 TOL DAMMIT rig, so I'm not sure why it would seem slow on Orlowski's much superior I7 system, although it does not start up as quickly as IE 11.

Frankly, it puts me back in the mindset of Safari back in the OS X 10.5 days, which I still use on a Volvo 240-like Power Mac G4. It's good to see power being handed back to the people who want it.

2. Baldrickk

I used Vivaldi for a bit last year - went back to firefox after a bit, because it was lacking with something... I forget what.

I should give it a go again. I did like it, but it was not quite the browser I wanted. - like Firefox on Android - while Google realised that people want to use their phones one handed, and added tap+swipe to zoom in and out to the OS, firefox mobile doesn't have that, so I need to use two hands to have the freedom to pinch to zoom properly.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Developer Tools

Does Vivaldi have anything like the Firebug tools for debugging web pages?

1. joeW

Re: Developer Tools

It uses the Chromium engine, so the dev tools are pretty much identical to Chrome's. It can also install quite a few add-ons from the Chrome "store", if that takes your fancy.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"It uses the Chromium engine, so the dev tools are pretty much identical to Chrome's."

Does it also have the Bluetooth snooping?

2. Steve Evans

Press F12 and you get Chrome-devtools, although the window title very quickly changes to remove the chrome reference.

A bit of further digging (and the fact it has Chromium PDF viewer plug-in pre-installed) revealed it's based on Blink, which is a fork of Webkit used by Chrome/Opera, so it should render pretty much the same.

It seems pretty quick, and I rather like the look of the theme I picked, so I might actually give this a go for a while, although the coordinated tabs between my desktop browser and mobile browser is a bit of a must-have, so I'll have to see if that can be done.

Posted from my Vivaldi browser window.

4. Updraft102

"Opening a link from Windows 10’s mail client or a Store app will randomly invoke the Edge browser..."

Well, don't do that then!

Preferably because you don't use Windows 10.

5. Mr Dogshit

"Microsoft’s Edge browser keeps stealing the default browser setting"

I've been running Windows 10 for as long as everyone else, and this is NOT my experience. Just doesn't happen.

P.S. Does Vivaldi 1.7 still phone home to Google like earlier versions did? (What with it being just yet another fork of Chrome)

1. Nik 2

Re: "Microsoft’s Edge browser keeps stealing the default browser setting"

IME, the behaviour is as described, but not as in the headline {= FAKE NEWS!!!}

Some links will open in Edge (Help files from Office, I think), but Edge doesn't actually change the OS setting to make itself the default browser for everything. I suspect that the excuse is that these web pages need to guarantee that the browser used has certain capabilities, and that only by making that Edge can MS be sure.

Sounds like rubbish to me, but in this world of iEverything and Google, the monopoly abuse complaints of yesteryear seem relatively trivial.

2. Palpy

Re: Fork of Chrome?

Or based on the Chromium engine? I wouldn't expect the Chromium engine to phone home; I expect Chrome does. Just curious.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: "Microsoft’s Edge browser keeps stealing the default browser setting"

Perhaps you need to unset the Google options in Tools > Settings > Privacy?

(Or just type Google in the settings page search box to get all the Google options, which is nice.)

4. Arctic fox
      Windows

Re: "Just doesn't happen."

Has not happened here at Arctic Fox Towers either. Both La Señora and I run Surface Pro 3s running Win 10 Pro and use Firefox as our default browser. The behaviour that Andrew describes in the context of Vivaldi simply does not happen here. What the issue is I do not know the implication that this is some kind deliberate try-on against third party browsers does not accord with our experience.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Closed-source browsing?

Considering the things we nowadays do in our browser (banking, taxes, etc...), would you really want to use a browser that refuses to let you take a look under the hood?

1. gv

Re: Closed-source browsing?

Nope.

I've been playing around with https://minbrowser.github.io/min/

7. LionelB Silver badge

Tab stacking

Nice to see the old Opera's tab groups reincarnated as "tab stacking" - that was one feature I sorely missed. To be honest, I never noticed it was there the first time I tried Vivaldi.

Am seriously considering making the switch.

8. Rob G

Interesting this comes up today as I was just re-visiting Vivaldi last night. I want to use it over Firefox but unfortunately I still find the font rendering under Windows too blurry for my taste (a problem with all Chrome-like browsers since they ditched the GDI font rendering, forcing DirectWrite).

1. Steve Evans

if you think that's bad, you should see if via a RDP session! **shudder**

9. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Looks interesting. Must have a play with this.

10. Updraft102

Still need more

I tried Vivaldi, but for all the talk of how customizable it is, it's still not nearly customizable enough, at least through normal means (changing options in menus).

Firefox with a full complement of addons of my choosing is my baseline and the standard against which all others are judged, and the Chrome addons I saw don't match what can be done with Firefox's. Take a look at the breadth of the options available in Mozilla's Classic Theme Restorer... it's got everything. Well, not everything, but still, a huge, huge amount. That's just one of my addons; there are almost 30 others. My browser is exactly as I want it, and it bends the pages I see to my will, not that of the site's creator. I won't have it any other way.

Of course, Mozilla seems hellbent on continuing their suicide by taking out all of the customizability that made them what they are and instead becoming a fourth-rate "me too" Chrome wannabe, because being indistinguishable from Chrome will make people who already like Chrome... keep using it and not something that gives them no reason to switch? That can't be where I was going with that. Why is it that every piece of software I like is eventually sabotaged from within by its own devs?

1. Martin Gregorie

Re: Still need more

Agreed: I don't like the single, zoomable text size control: its too imprecise. Being allowed to choose both font and point size, as used by Firefox and Opera, is preferable.

However, I'd be happy if Vivaldi never got the promised e-mail agent added to it. I have always preferred programs that do just one thing and do it well and have no problem with using a separate e-mail agent (such as Evolution) and newsreader (I use Pan).

However, this is all rather moot since the Vivaldi package has vanished from Fedora and I didn't like it well enough to have looked for more direct ways of installing it. Maybe dropping it as a supported package was a response to discovering the Chrome renderer's phone-home sneakiness? If so, hats off to Red Hat for giving it the chop.

FWIW, my browser of choice is currently Pale Moon. This is a Firefox clone that omits a lot of the recent bloatware and is subjectively faster.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Still need more

One thing that's surprisingly missing in Vivaldi (or I haven't found it) is the web page language settings. Not even Firefox has knocked that on the head yet... touch wood.

Why is all software sabotaged by its devs? Perhaps there's no handing down to new programmers of 'things we rejected because we found out they were crap'. Then 20 years later we get Windows 10.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Antitrust

"It’s hard to believe that so many legal battles were fought over IE and Windows default settings, for so many years, only for Microsoft to revert to this behaviour so soon after its antitrust consent decrees expired."

Unfortunately, no it isn't- quite the opposite.

It's why the antitrust consent decree was- and is- required. The leopard does not change its spots.

12. John H Woods Silver badge

"Why is it that every piece of software I like is eventually sabotaged from within by its own devs?" -- Updraft102

FTFY

13. SVV

Best gag of the week

"It’s hard to believe that so many legal battles were fought over IE and Windows default settings, for so many years, only for Microsoft to revert to this behaviour so soon after its antitrust consent decrees expired."

Ha ha ha,. Good one Andrew! Hard to believe! Ha ha ha. Erm, you were joking.........right?

14. Baldy50

just tried it on a good but nine year old machine and...

'Vivaldi still isn’t perfect – it takes forever to load a new window even on modern (2016) i7 hardware. But using anything else is now painful.'

Starts up as fast as chuff and the same goes for a new window, don't know what you are on about?

Actually loads a new window faster than Firefox TBH.

15. Whitter
    Boffin

Per-site permissions?

Does Vivaldi use old-opera's per-site permissions setup out-of-the-box?

That was my fav feature of Opera back in the 6.2 days!

16. Sil

Like it

I like Vivaldi very much, use it often, but I went back to Edge, mostly for 2 reasons:

- it does not support touch well;

- it does not play well with many sites when using an ad blocker: it becomes unresponsive, on generally has to select another tab or make the windows small then expand it, to be able to scroll again, click on a link, ... Somehow, I don't have the same problems with Google Chrome & the same ad blocker.

In the mean time, Edge has improved a lot, and while its still missing features, it's highly useable.

Vivaldi is still my goto browser for viewing 4K videos, since I assume Google is making it so that Edge is limited to 1440p.

17. Barry Rueger

Customizing

Yeah, I used to spend hours fiddling with all sorts of settings on my computer, and spent hours tuning my '67 Impala for that little bit of performance.

Eventually though you reach a point where you just want to get work done, choose a stable platform, and get on with it. For me that has been Mint Cinnamon for several years, with exactly two settings to change: turn off Caps Lock and change the wallpaper to something NASA.

That's also why I stay far away from Windows 10.

Chrome is popular because it's simple, and "just works" out of the box, and because it stays the same from one version to the next. For the vast majority of users that consistency is more important than stacked tabs or command line interfaces.

18. Wyrdness

Importing certificates

I'm trying it now. Can't figure out how to import a certificate into it, so that I can use it for work. Does anyone know?

1. DeathByDenim

Re: Importing certificates

For some reason that part doesn't seem to be linked to any of the menu options. I'm guessing work in progress. Anyway, you can manually access it by putting this in the address bar: chrome://settings/certificates

19. John 110
    Windows

Luddite here

I really want to like Vivaldi (long term opera user here), but snappy though it is, I don't like the flat interface paradigm. Oh and call me old-fashioned, but I like bookmarks in a proper menu.

Oh, and +1 for Pale Moon (where I went when opera chromified)

20. armyknife

Pretentious Marketing department.

Received this somewhat pretentious marketing email from them within the last hour.

And when you try to unsubscribe, the page generated is a 404 error message.

I think I'm justified in calling them knob-heads

"Hey Customer,

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Sed varius, leo a ullamcorper feugiat, ante purus sodales justo, a faucibus libero lacus a est.

Sed varius, leo a ullamcorper feugiat, ante purus sodales justo, a faucibus libero lacus a est. Aenean at mollis ipsum. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Sed varius, leo a ullamcorper feugiat, ante purus sodales justo, a faucibus libero lacus a est.

Cheers,

Team Vivaldi "

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Opera user here. Have only minimum amount of RAM and Opera uses less memory than it's competitors. It rarely hangs. It uses Chromium engine but more trustworthy than Google.

Also want a review about Brave browser someday.

22. Michael Jarve
    Happy

An addendum

One more thing to note with the v. 1.7 release: The Windows task-bar correctly activates when set to auto-hide, and Vivaldi is has a maximized window! When I was running the previous release under Windows 10, with the task-bar set to auto-hide, it would only intermittently display if I moved the mouse to the bottom of the screen. With Windows 7, it just would not display at all unless I minimized to task bar, or did a restore-down. Huzzah!

1. Tannin

Re: An addendum

That has been a persistent problem with Chrome for quite some time. As of a couple of days ago it still wasn't fixed. Haven't noticed it on Opera or Vivaldi but I seldom use those two.

(I'd be happy to use either or both if they ever get the interfaces fixed, but so long as they keep on pretending to be Chrome, I might as well just use the real thing or (as I mostly do) Pale Moon (has simple options fo fix interface), Seamonkey (good straight out of the box), Firefox (good provided you have Classic Theme Restorer), and real Opera (truly ancient, can't be used on many sites these days, but still the best browser UI of all time, and still has killer features you just can't get anywhere else).

1. Captain Badmouth
        Unhappy

Re: An addendum

Upvote for real opera, really badly missed. Much prefer if Vivaldi was to use that old engine (updated, of course).

23. Tannin

Not ready for prime time

It's been around for a couple of years now and there is still no single close-tab function. It's a shame as many other things about Vivaldi are great. But it is nuts that they still don't have this simple, useful ergonomic design feature where so many competitors do, including Pale Moon, Seamonkey, Firefox and even the original Opera.

Fair go chaps, you practically invented this useful feature back when Opera was the trendsetting pioneer. Get with the program.

1. eldakka

Re: Not ready for prime time

"there is still no single close-tab function."

Maybe I am misunderstanding your point, but for me ctrl-F4, middle-clicking on the tab from the list, hitting the 'x' on the tab, or right-click 'close tab' all work.

24. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Android

Hurry up with the Amdroid version....

I haven't yet found an Android browser without some annoying issue.

I'm prepared to be enlightened, though!

25. PTW

Can you kill WebRTC yet in Vivaldi?

As per the title and another +1 for Pale Moon

26. Glenturret Single Malt

Default browser

Running W10 Pro here; the only times I have had my default browser switched back from FF to Edge were at the big update last year and one occasion when I got things into a horrible mess and did a clean reinstall.

I might try Vivaldi again having had a go with it in the early days of its introduction.

27. eldakka

I like Vivaldi and use it as my default browser.

However I do have some issues with it:

- no tree-style tabs (see the Firefox plugins)

- when you multi-select tabs, pressing a hotkey (ctrl-F4 to close, F5 to refresh) does not apply to all the selected tabs.

And that's about the extent (at at least the often-encountered annoying one) of my problems with it.

28. Ian 55

Speaking of dodgy default settings

Gmail on Android has started opening links in its own version of Chrome, rather than your default browser / asking which it should use.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like