back to article Android's February fix-fest flings 58 patches

Android's revealed 58 patches, but good luck getting your paws on them: as ever, owners of Nexus devices may already have the February update but OEM customers have to wait. The 58 patches in android's February 6 Android Security Bulletin includes more mopping up of the Stagefright vulnerability that first reared its head in …

1. WonkoTheSane
    Thumb Up

Nexus 6P owner

Patch arrived this morning.

1. big_D Silver badge

Re: Nexus 6P owner

Nexus 5X, no updates available - they usually take a week or so to get to my device.

1. richardcox13

Re: Nexus 6P owner

> Nexus 5X

Mine updated this morning...

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

What about Pixel owners?

Or have sales been so bad that like many Google products and services launched with a wave of publicity that are later quietly axed when sales/users don't meet their loft internal targets?

We deserve to be told the fate of this latest iPhone killer device.

If there are no patches then it seems that it is destined to go the way of the Kin and Zune, oblivion.

1. WonkoTheSane

Re: What about Pixel owners?

My Pixel C tablet updated to Android 7.1.2 this week. I'd assume that the security patches were part of that.

1. richardcox13

> My Pixel C tablet updated to Android 7.1.2 this week. I'd assume that the security patches were part of that.

Maybe, but check the date of the "Android security patch level". Is "5 February 2017" here.

2. whoelse

Pixel and Nexus are the only ones patched. Do you really think Google would ignore Pixel with the 2 en route? ~I think you're looking for something that isn't there to suit your views.

3. Syntax Error

Security

I guess if security is important to you Android is avoided. Perhaps Google's development and implementation of Android has been so amateurish it seems it is done on purpose.

The security services are not going to complain though.

1. Apprentice of Tokenism
      Facepalm

Re: Security

Perhaps Google's development and implementation of Android has been so amateurish it seems it is done on purpose.

If you cared to look at Google's "2017-02-05 security patch level - Vulnerability summary" you'd see that almost all of the bugs found were either in drivers coming from hardware manufacturers or in the kernel. None of the drivers was developed by Google, the kernel only amended by Google.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If one of these is exploited, do I have a case with trading standards against the manufacturer for not realising the update if I am in the warranty period?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yep already running it. Interestingly, my Sony got a January patch a few days ago, so it's really not that far behind the curve. Sorry if this doesn't fit with the not so hidden agenda this "story" carries.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My Moto G4 ( expected to get Android 7 in Q4 2016 I believe ) has a patch level of July 2016.

1. admiraljkb

"My Moto G4 ( expected to get Android 7 in Q4 2016 I believe ) has a patch level of July 2016."

I feel your pain. Last unofficial word, is that it got pushed from mid-Dec, to mid-Jan, to Febs-whenever, and now out to March-whatevs. Really getting annoyed by the repeated slips and no security updates either in the meantime. Prior generations of Moto G series got updated pretty quickly.

6. BinkyTheMagicPaperclip Silver badge

Blackberry patch landed a couple of days ago, fixes most of the issues listed.

http://support.blackberry.com/kb/articleDetail?articleNumber=000039027&language=None

1. AMBxx Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Blackberry

I'm currently using a MS Lumia 950XL. Love the phone, but have to admit MS are going nowhere fast with mobile. When I'm finally forced to go kicking and screaming to Android, it will have to be a Blackberry.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Blackberry

I wonder what Nokia's going to do with patching. Hopefully something to make the stand out from the likes of Samsung.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BlackBerry Priv owner

The update came on 5 Feb.

8. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

"Nexus owners are sweet."

Baloney.

I own the original Nexus 7. Bought on the assumption that it'd be kept up to date and kept working smoothly. You know, as per the promise of Nexus.

Their SW support of it sucks.

'Nexus' brand has negative value.

PS. Just checked. No updates available.

1. Snowy Silver badge

Re: "Nexus owners are sweet."

Aye should be "Newer Nexus owners are Sweet", two years then you're on the scrap heap as software updates is concerned.

2. uncommon_sense

My Nexus 7 has not had any updates for a LOOONG time.

What was the latest update you got?

3. admiraljkb

To keep them relevant, I had to update both my original Nexus7 and Nexus7 2013 to the current LineageOS 14.1 version since Google EoS'd them ages ago, but at least I have Android 7.1.2 now. Installing 3rd party firmware isn't for everyone though.

(I'm not sure why I still hold onto my original Nexus7 since I replaced it a couple of years ago. Well, actually I do know, I'm a hardware hoarder, but am seeking treatment for it. :) )

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nobody is telling consumers what to expect

Consumers should not buy any gadget with complex firmware unless the manufacturer commit to deliver monthly security and bug-fixes throughout the products expected lifetime. Now there are stacks of products that are abandoned by their manufacturer within a year of its RTM, and that is simply unacceptable. Consumers should vote with their money and avoid certain products, but unfortunately there is nobody informing consumers about what they reasonably should expect. Media has become a one-sided mouthpiece for manufactures and re-sellers, praising every new gizmo that hits the market. Instead they should warn consumers to stay away from the vast majority of these products. That may force the manufactures to change their practises.

10. mosw

OnePlus 3 Updated

My OnePlus 3 just updated with a patch dated Feb 8. Not sure if that includes these latest fixes but it is the second Nougat update in 2 months so hopefully they are keeping up.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like