So, the new font, then

This topic was created by Dan 55 .

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Megaphone

So, the new font, then

I am not liking it. It's a little too squished, wasn't necessary, I have my system font set up just nicely without having a downloadable one forced on me, probably doesn't pass the "Grey technology" test, etc... etc...

Just thought I'd get that in first.

1. DaLo

Re: So, the new font, then

Arimo

Arimo was designed by Steve Matteson as an innovative, refreshing sans serif design that is metrically compatible with Arial™. Arimo offers improved on-screen readability characteristics and the pan-European WGL character set and solves the needs of developers looking for width-compatible fonts to address document portability across platforms.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

It looks better on a mobile, it looks squashed with not enough spacing between letters on a Windows 7 laptop.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

I have to agree, it looks surprisingly different on my PC to my iPad.

Now I admit that Mr iPad has the "retina" display, and Mr PC has a 1600x900 23" monitor on Win 10 - so obviously the iPad would be expected to look nicer.

But the font is definitely a bit vertically squashed on the PC. Just checked on the Win Phone 8 Lumia 735 - and that also seems to be a bit taller.

I'm not sure how much I'd have noticed if I wasn't comparing the two though. But I'd definitely say there's a difference, and I've no idea whether it's a resolution issue, as I don't think I've access to a PC with a better screen.

2. drewtest

Well, I suspect that very few people have noticed as Arimo is very similar to Arial - but a bit cleaner, a bit more readable, so I am told.

However... the next step is to increase base point size from 14px to 16px. And that will improve accessibility for all, surely.

2. whitespacephil

I kind of like it. Well, on an iPhone on the mobile site.

3. Rimpel
    Thumb Down

I dislike it

Stylish to the rescue...

4. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

The font seems OK to me. It just makes 1s look a bit odd. But then maybe that's because I'm so used to stupid fonts that make it impossible to tell the difference.

On the other hand, we do seem to have a few representatives of the font taliban on here. Which is a subject I'm mostly ignorant of and have no strong feelings about. I should care, given my poor eyesight.

I did actually complain last week, when filling out an accessibility survey for the Guardian. Who decided, in their wisdom, to consult on accessibility of their website in light grey 8pt Times New Roman. So I can easily read their page, but was struggling to proof my own submission... I thought serif fonts were out of favour for a reason. And it's particularly odd, as the rest of the site is in a nice, clean sans serif.

5. Mark 85

When will you embiggen the font? On my Win7, no matter what browser, it's tiny and giving me eyestrain. Applies to both articles and forums.

1. Baldy50

The old Opera browser had an auto fit to screen but a zoom slider too so you could override the resolution and make the page bigger, don't know if any other browsers have this?

All I do is hit Ctrl + and it zooms in using Linux, also use old 42" TV as your monitor.

2. Marco Fontani

When will you embiggen the font?

Possibly Soon®

Meanwhile, you can always zoom in (CTRL+ or CMD+); most browsers will remember and use the zoom preference per-domain.

The site uses relative sizes for all its parts aside from the base font size, so zooming in/out literally makes everything bigger or smaller, with the same ratio.

1. Marco Fontani

When will you embiggen the font?

Possibly Soon®

Font size has been embiggened on both article body and forums posts.

1. jake Silver badge

And emsmallened again here.

But without bitching and griping about it.

6. Aebleskiver

Glad someone made a post about this... font strains the eyes, especially in the comments sections. Change it back...

7. andy gibson

don't like it

Looks terrible on my screen too, please change it back.

8. wolfetone Silver badge

What's wrong with serif?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Too big

Can we configure the size, I preferred the smaller size, and zooming out on the site isn't really an option (as it makes everything else smaller).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Too big

16pt is pretty standard for minimum / base text size these days, especially for any site that is responsive (as we are planning to do).

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
        Coat

Re: Too big

If I may add to the relentless thanklessness of your task, it now looks better on a Win 7 laptop and too big on an iMac.

10. Mark 85

Much better on these old eyes... Thanks.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon