back to article Australia to review effectiveness of ISPs' copyright-defending website blocks

Australia's government will conduct a “future review” into Section 115a of the nation's Copyright Act, the amendment introduced in 2015 that requires internet service providers to block websites. Section 115a requires Australia's Federal Court to rule that a site's primary purpose is piracy. The first case to test the section …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Remember Conroy's 'Great Firewall of Australia'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/nickbryant/2009/03/the_great_firewall_of_australi.html

Only a matter of time before they try again and use piracy as an excuse.

2. Oengus

Typical

Just goes to show that the legislation enacted by our politicians is as effective as they are... (good thing for us in this case).

3. Adam 1

not good enough!

I demand that the government enact legislation to prevent our public road network from being used to transport stolen goods!

What do you mean it can be bypassed by throwing a tarpaulin over the trailer?

1. frank ly

Re: not good enough!

Government legislation will then mandate the use of transparent tarpaulins.

1. Adam 1

Wrong! What is needed is a tarpaulin design that becomes transparent when observed by law enforcement who have a special camera lens but which is opaque to everyone else. I urge the tarpaulin industry to come onboard and help us. We are an innovative country. Why do you keep mentioning physics?

1. Charles 9

Watched The Fifth Element in the past?

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

I can think of at least three different ways to do this that don't break physics. Backdooring crypto is a lot harder than some metamaterials tech.

4. Your alien overlord - fear me

Is the Oz gov't a fan of Spock? "The (copy)rights of the few outweigh the needs of piracy for the many"

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Right to an income - don't think so.

Re: "... people who could demonstrate their income had been reduced by xxx..."

Welcome to the real world, where many peoples income have been reduced by competition, productivity improvements, asset stripping, greedy management etc since the beginning of time.

Right to the opportunity to earn an income - no problem.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Build a wall round the country - it'll be even more effective.

After all, it's the modern solution to everything.

For role models, see China, Israel, Saudi, US and 65 others according to the Daily Hate.

As a bonus, it'll provide jobs for the unemployed musicians and actors...

1. Barrie Shepherd

Re: Build a wall round the country - it'll be even more effective.

....and when the wall is complete fill with water and make a nice swimming pool for New Zealand.

1. JimboSmith Silver badge

Re: Build a wall round the country - it'll be even more effective.

Given the landmass of Oz that might be a good use for all the water that we're going to suffer thanks to global warming melting the polar ice caps.

7. dbannon

Times, they are a changing....

For most of our history, someone with a bit of talent might be able to escape the drudgery of mine or paddock and work in the Baron's court.

Then we had a short crazy period where these people became demigods, rich beyond all common sense. And that happened because technology allowed selling of their talent on media. Maybe that short crazy period is over ? Good !

Technology gives, technology takes away. Adapt.

Silly, unenforceable and unwanted laws are not the answer.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah, is that why....

...I was wondering why I could still access Pirate Bay, just thought they hadn't enacted the change yet, not that I had my DNS set to Google anyway as Dodo were hijacking my mis-typed url's and performing searches from them (then injecting relevant ads by the looks of things).

Google have been far less intrusive, and, as a company, Dodo really need to look at themselves if that phrase can be levelled at them...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ah, is that why....

I'm sorry, but I HAD to give you a downvote for using Dodo. And you lurk on a tech website?

Unless you simply are forced to for financial reasons, in which case accept my sincere apologies.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I am, they're cheap, there is a reason they're cheap, which is very much underlined whenever I have to deal with them, but I can't find anyone else that does unlimited net along with the obligatory phone for less than the $60/m they charge.

(adsl speed is more limited by infrastructure than anything a supplier may offer anyway. I'm happy to be getting just about 8mb out of them as only got 4mb at my last apartment with them and 2mb with optus at the one before - optus being flatmates choice)

1. ScottK

I also use Dodo for the simple reason I am unable to get NBN and they offer a cheap unlimited ADSL service. I am in a fixed wireless NBN area and the installer could not get a consistent signal.

The ADSL is on a telstra line and I can find no difference in performance between this and my previous much more expensive and capped internode connection. The only problem I have had in two years was a Telstra issue. I am using my own router rather than the crap they supply.

I have not had to contact their support, so can't comment on it. However, they did manage to spell both the username and password I asked for incorrecty, so I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

2. Truckle The Uncivil

iiNet negotiate

9. Glen Turner 666

"Effectiveness" is code

Note that the spokesperson is saying that the future review is into the "effectiveness" of the section. In Australian Public Service policy language "effectiveness" is a very different thing from "efficiency". "Effectiveness" is how well the mechanism works _without regard_ to other factors, such as expense or the robustness of the Australian Internet.

This would signal a substantial policy change from the current s115a, which requires the judge to weigh up the competing interests when approving a proposed injunction to block access to the "online location". That is, the legislators desired website blocking to be "efficient" rather than merely "effective". Therefore "effectiveness" should not be the primary criteria for evaluation of the legislation.

It would have been useful for Simon to have questioned the spokesperson on their choice of words. If the response was written then the expectation is that words hold their usual meaning.

10. adam payne

“A future review will consider whether the implementation of these website blocking decisions is operating effectively, and whether improvements are necessary.”

You don't need an expensive review of this. It isn't very effective and can be bypassed by changing DNS settings

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>You don't need an expensive review of this. It isn't very effective and can be bypassed by changing DNS settings

And as far as I'm concerned that's perfectly fine.

Why rock the boat and push for more "effective" techniques to be used?

11. Crazy Operations Guy

Why bother with Google's DNS?

I just configure a script* on my systems to grab "https://www.internic.net/domain/root.zone" once a week, dumps it into unbound's zone directory, then reloads the zone. Essentially making them a local root server.

Yeah, it adds a little extra load to the DNS servers for the various domains since my machines aren't taking advantage of the big DNS server's caches, but that also means I'm not susceptible to someone poisoning those caches. I'm also free from advertisers re-writing NXDOMAINs to instead point to their crap.

[*] by script, I mean a crontab entry for "curl https://www.internic.net/domain/root.zone > /var/nsd/zones/master/root.zone && pkill -HUP nsd"

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But Turnbull and my VPN

I swear I remember Malcolm saying something about VPN's being totally legit (for maintaining privacy) and not being a target of legislation creep, please don't tell me a politician would lie or answer in safe, 'we'll change our minds later' legal speak......... what's the world coming to!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like