back to article Chinese pirates are facing lifelong 'social credit' downgrade

Copyright infringement and use of counterfeit goods in China could downgrade a citizen's "social credit" with lifelong consequences as the country gears up to overhaul its IP laws and institutions. Following the evolution that the United States made in the late 19th century*, Chinese businesses are growing away from their …

1. CAPS LOCK

Chinese IP rights? ...

... Hahahaha. How long before the start complaining of infringements in Cambodia and Bangladesh?

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Mixed bag of emotions right now

On the one hand, obviously it is a good thing that China be cracking down on all the fake Vuitton and the rest, no denying that.

On the other hand though, China is now going to be courted by the likes of RIAA and MPAA, who will no doubt "educate" the Chinese on "proper" DRM measures, trying to continue spreading their infectious influence and brain-dead ideas to the far reaches of the globe. That I appreciate a lot less.

1. PM.

Re: Mixed bag of emotions right now

Oh, no worries here.

I think they will only care about domestic Chinese IP rights, while freely allowing stealing Western IP ...

2. imanidiot Silver badge

I doubt the Chinese are brain-dead enough to fall for the likes of RIAA or MPAA.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The Chinese will tolerate the foreign RIAA and MPAA if- and only if- it serves their own interests to do so, and only for as long as necessary. Most likely until their own national equivalent- and they themseves- are powerful enough to start telling other nations what to do instead.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

On the one hand, obviously it is a good thing that China be cracking down on all the fake Vuitton and the rest, no denying that.

Why is that obviously a good thing? Nobody buying the fakes would pay for the real thing, nobody with the money for the real thing will buy the fakes. Whilst the brand owners will deny it, I suspect that fakes are actually a marvellous form of marketing, spreading the idea that the brand is aspirational, desirable, and worth copying. And as some buyers get older and wealthier, they'll stop buying rip offs and gravitate to genuine products. Conversely, if the hoi-polloi are conditioned that they can't have those brands, they'll grow up like me: Totally indifferent to those brands, to advertising, and joyously ignorant of what the brand owners want people to be buying this season.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: "Nobody buying the fakes would pay for the real thing"

Um, does that mean that if I will never buy a given film, it's OK to torrent it ?

Don't think so.

Now, I do agree that the copycats are indeed giving publicity to the brands, I can imagine that the brands are somehow semi-tolerant of that because of that, and we all know that the flattery is the sincerest yada yada, but those arguments won't save you in court if you're caught selling fake branded merchandise.

3. hplasm
    Mushroom

USA screwed Dickens.

Only fair to screw the RIAA/MPAA & co.

Payback, bitches!

4. Voland's right hand Silver badge

I love the smell of protectionism early in the morning

It smells like victory.

5. Bucky 2

Good luck to them

I'm not sure the Chinese inclination for collectivism and the concept of Intellectual Property are entirely compatible.

This is the country where you call a handyman and he arrives without tools and asks to borrow yours. And if you don't have the right ones, he'll just knock on the doors of your neighbors. And when you ask him why he doesn't have his own tools, he's genuinely puzzled. Why should he, when he can borrow yours?

It's pretty much just the same with the Fauxlex manufacturers. They're not trying to be criminal masterminds. They simply don't see the problem.

6. MattPi

Dickens

Dickens' books are classics here. Maybe someone can help with something: we can't understand why Oliver Twist, the story of a hardworking orphanage keeper, spends so much time talking about one unappreciative orphan. Thoughts?

7. Nat C.

Some Chinese govt official's eBook reader must be on the fritz.

Sounds like it somehow jumbled together a copy of Cory Doctorow's "Down and Out In the Magic Kingdom" and George Orwell's "1984".

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There must be a happy medium

I don't agree with all of the grossly over paid company execs, movie stars, footballs etc... that can effectively earn enough money to retire in a year. Not, saying they are not talented, but I know lots of engineers, doctors and teachers who are talented and contribute to society. These people have to work all of their life (until retirement) where is the fairness of the system!!!!!!!

There isn't any, so I am glad that China/India/wherever gives the finger to the west. I'm glad that people use kodi for streaming content. I'm glad that the knock-offs are of such good quality these days that you just don't need to pay 100x more just some you can feel happy you're contributing to some tosser(s) having the high-life and hiding their profits and not pay tax...........

To be realistic, if the stuff wasn't so grossly overpriced in the first place then there would be no interest in copying it for the real manufacturing costs..... cars, PC, you name it.... watches, I have some still running after 10years. Only cost 20$ and still look fantastic.

I look forward to the hearing how you middle/senior leaders, super-dupper upper top level executive sphincter plugs are are really contributing. Perhaps we need to stop doing the stuff we are good at, refocus are energy and spend a shit load of cash so you can turn a profitable business into one that priced out of the market....... in come the copiers......

been there several times.......

It seems that the buzz bollocks 20/80 (20% customers give us 80% of our profit, so bollocks to you Mr 80% customer... we are not interested) are the only numbers todays managers think about. Long gone is organic growth or just getting the customer happy.

Don't worry at least everyone pension is doing great.........thank goodness for the leaders...

9. martinusher Silver badge

Don't forget Japan

It wasn't that long ago that the source for cheaply made copies of Western good was Japan.

I'd say that time is well past. Its not beyond one's imagination to assume that the Chinese are following a similar path.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Don't forget Japan

Several decades is a pretty long time.

10. ecofeco Silver badge

Yeah, that'll teach 'em!

I'll bet they'll cry all the way to the bank.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

" the social credit evaluation system (which punishes those who deviate and rewards those who act beneficially in the eyes of the government)"

Fuck every syllable of that for a system.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Back on topic

El Reg are a bit late with this story, and the focus on a VERY narrow area of what it will cover doesnt help.

1984 is the best metaphor for the surveillance system the Chinese intend to use against their own people; EVERYTHING they can track will be used to judged a person, what they buy, what they eat, what club memberships they have, how many times they volunteer for government sponsored "social projects", who they communicate with, what films and TV they watch, what books they read, and what music they listen to.

The projected manpower requirements make the million or so people they currently use to monitor social media platforms look minuscule.

Yeay!! Full employment!!

Expect Mrs May to propose something similar soon after it starts.

I would write more, but "Here come the choppers!!" (LWIII)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like