back to article Motivational speaker in the slammer after HPE applies for court order

A "serial entrepreneur" Brit who compared himself to Nelson Mandela and whose solar power company is alleged to have defrauded Hewlett Packard Enterprise out of $17.5m in discounts has been jailed for 18 months by London's High Court following an application by HPE. During a court-ordered dawn raid on his home in Leicester, …

1. Bogle
    Paris Hilton

What does M'Lud mean by that?

"her skills lie altogether elsewhere"

pray, do tell!

1. BillG
      Alert

Re: What does M'Lud mean by that?

The most dangerous people in the world are charismatic incompetents. People that are very charming, fun to be with, but have little to show for their lives except a long line of debts and a string of excuses

2. Hein Behrens

Re: What does M'Lud mean by that?

Studied Footwear Design at University of the Arts London - London College of Fashion

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Nice story. Not quite in the Prenda Law league but nice.

It's amazing what a little self-confidence can achieve.

1. DNTP

a little self-confidence

Well when nerdy social anxiety somehow becomes a capitalistically important trait then I'm all set for success to quietly leave the room before anyone notices.

3. Dabooka

Any explanation on how it cost HPE £17m

I'm just curious as to the fraud implied as it's not really mentioned anywhere

1. Justicesays

Re: Any explanation on how it cost HPE £17m

Maybe something similar to this case?

https://arstechnica.co.uk/tech-policy/2016/07/hpe-wins-high-court-fraud-fight-international-computer-purchasing-ltd/

Basically grey marketing HP kit against their wishes.

Might perhaps upset the narrative to show HPE as some kind of grasping, evil corporate monster though.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Any explanation on how it cost HPE £17m

It hasn't! HP only 'alleges'...

Putting aside the tabloid style defamation, what is concerning about this is that al this is happening before HP allegations have been put before a court.

Yes, the guy might appear to be a bit shady, in ignoring various court orders obtained by HPE on the strength of allegations, but he may be totally innocent of whatever HPE is alleging! Remember HPE are alleging misuse of discounts, that HPE obviously honoured for it to have cost HPE money, not non-payment for equipment shipped...

4. Hollerithevo

Classic sociopath

Charming, convincing, ultra self-confident, dishonest, a liar, often blatantly, holds himself above normal standards, thinks himself a superior being. Checklist pretty much complete.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Classic sociopath

He should have run for elected office instead.

2. Wyrdness

Take a look at his list of 'achievements' on his site. I wonder how many of them are fabrications - petersage.com/about/

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Take a look at his list of 'achievements' on his site. I wonder how many of them are fabrications - petersage.com/about/

That all needs to be updated, with words like "Peter Sage is now a member of a select community of multi-million dollar international criminals" and "Achievements recognised and rewarded by the UK's High Court". And maybe he can add some photographs of himself in the slammer. And report that due to massive demand for his time, he only has the most limited availability for the next nine months, and probably a lot longer. Also, he needs to update the contact details as well for Wormwood Scrubs.

But I see that he invites people to connect on Facebook - anybody care to try it, and post details of his unfortunate lack of availability? Maybe connect on LinkedIn, where 500+ unwise mugs are now touting their connection and endorsements for a convict:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/petersage

1. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

Connect on Facebook? Connect on Linkedin?

Bah. That's so passé. ButtPlugg is where real connecting is going on! At least that's what Aleister Dabbs and Hank Waggenburger III were telling us.

www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/15/something_for_the_weekend_double_entendres/

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Connect on Linkedin? Bah. That's so passé.

Indeed. But well worth looking to see whether anybody you personally know has been daft enough to "connect" with him. If you do know anybody like that, it'll be fun to ask why they're connected to a convicted criminal under further investigation for a multi-million pound fraud.

2. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

What I don't understand, is how anyone he's done business with hasn't read that, and realised it was horribly self aggrandising, and sought out some references from people he'd done previous deals with.

It smacks of 'salesy bullshitter'.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sorry - was that Trump or Farage?

4. TheDillinquent

Sage or HP?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is he an MP?

Sounds like an MP to me, if he isn't there's a by-election in Stoke-On-Trent, he couldn't be worse than Farage MKII.

6. H in The Hague
    Thumb Up

Judge with a sense of humour

"This self-confidence no doubt makes him a powerful teacher and presenter, but – in the absence of genuine insight – has the tendency to make him an unconvincing witness," Mr Justice Jay said."

Brilliant.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Judge with a sense of humour

Despite the widely held opinion to the contrary Judges are sharp individuals and usually have a good way with words, having come up through the ranks of the barristers. If you get on the wrong side of one you'll find they're well able to express their opinion.

1. John H Woods Silver badge

" If you get on the wrong side of one you'll find they're well able to express their opinion." -- Dr Syntax

During an epic divorce/residence battle that went all the way to the High Court, my ex-wife's solicitors were somewhat untruthful. Unfortunately for them I had evidence of that which I was permitted to present. The almost unimaginably eloquent ire that was then directed at that side of the court room was so intense I *almost* felt sorry for them.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"The almost unimaginably eloquent ire that was then directed at that side of the court room was so intense I *almost* felt sorry for them."

And the lying lawyers were promptly struck off, in recognition of their sins, right?

Thought not. Business as usual among the monied classes and/or those with shared interests.

Still, as long as it's all on the square...

7. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

international and serial entrepreneur, author, philosopher and teacher

Are you sure this shouldn't be filed alongside the 'Bong!' columns?

8. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Colour me interested...

So what are Lorraine Thea Thorpes key skills exactly?

I'm reckoning blowjobs and spending other peoples money on handbags.

1. hplasm
      Happy

Re: Colour me interested...

"So what are Lorraine Thea Thorpes key skills exactly?"

She can make garlands of flowers? (In Thai...)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Any relation to the accounting software package?

1. Anonymous Coward
  10. stefek99

Difficult to defend on "Legal Aid" against megacorp. Why not ask United Nations if "Space Energy" was fraudulent or not?

11. Stevie

Bah!

'Dodgy Col' sounds like a character from "Only Fools and Horses". He should get another six months for making the court say that name out loud.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bah!

But I wonder why these people are allowed to change name.

12. TonyJ

Hmm....

Are HP at all capable of any kind of due diligence?

Next up, someone sold them a bridge...

1. 's water music
      Windows

Re: Hmm....

Well, to be fair losing USD17.5M is a massive improvement on the Autonomy deal so the trend is good

HPE director?---->

2. Roland6 Silver badge

No! it would seem to be part of the culture, see this link: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/08/14/hp_recovers_1_8m/ (source: linked in the comments of the ARSTechnica article Justicesays references in their comment here).

Reading between the lines of the 2003 article, it would seem that even having determined the order was fraudulent, HP still shipped kit, invoiced, received payment and then claimed they had been had!

1. TonyJ

"...Are HP at all capable of any kind of due diligence?"

No! it would seem to be part of the culture, see this link: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/08/14/hp_recovers_1_8m/ (source: linked in the comments of the ARSTechnica article Justicesays references in their comment here).

Reading between the lines of the 2003 article, it would seem that even having determined the order was fraudulent, HP still shipped kit, invoiced, received payment and then claimed they had been had!

LOL...it was a rhetorical question!

13. mstreet
    Trollface

Perhaps...

It's possible he made the Mandela comparison because he had no idea who Mandela was?

Wouldn't be the first time...

http://globalnews.ca/news/1715103/bernier-embarrassed-after-saying-nelson-mandela-was-athlete/

14. cd

Why hasn't HPE hired him as CxO? He clearly has the goods. What a waste, and he'd fit right in. Maybe Oracle should be alerted, in case something happens to Hurd.

1. The IT Ghost

The way Oracle's going, it won't be around when the first 9 month jail term is completed

15. Aaiieeee
    Holmes

Our Core Value

To be authentic, humble and inspired Leaders.

To be an open channel for higher wisdom

To magnify the greatness of others

To leave people better for having crossed our path

http://petersage.com/our-vision/

1. IsJustabloke
      Facepalm

Re: Our Core Value

Just reading that shite would have rung all kinds of alarm bells for me, at the very least he'd have been declared a knob Jockey 1st Class. (He could always add it to his list of "achievements")

16. Len

Better put this on hold then...

http://www.mrandmrssage.com

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Better put this on hold then... (@Len)

http://www.mrandmrssage.com

Errr, what the flipping heck have you found there?

It's nearly beyond belief (do have a look, seems to be largely SFW).

Heavy duty sickbag recommended.

I particularly liked this bogpost:

"Standard Post Example

3 years ago

theasage0

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, ad mollis probatus iracundia cum, perfecto antiopam perpetua est ex. Ut sit graeci aperiam complectitur,…"

See also:

http://www.tedxkl.com/peter-sage/

Marvellous. You can see why HP(E) would be impressed, can't you. (Not saying *you or I* would be impressed, but HPE...).

17. VulcanV5

Surely, anyone who admits to being "a motivational speaker" should be behind bars anyway? A minimum term of 3 years with an extra 5 for being a member of LinkedIn.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@VulcanV5 re "motivational speaker"

There's motivational speakers and motivational speakers.

This one has publically discoverable connections to Tony Robbins so not only deserves the 3 basic points, plus another 5 for being on LinkedIn, add as many more as you want for being a Tony Robbins disciple.

On the other hand, once upon a time a couple of decades ago I unexpectedly had the great pleasure of listening to an Apollo astronaut (Aldrin? Armstrong? sorry guys, it was a long time ago) address a sales conference for a techy company.

*That* was inspirational.

1. elkster88
        Pint

Re: @VulcanV5 re "motivational speaker"

>On the other hand, once upon a time a couple of decades ago I unexpectedly had the great pleasure of listening to an Apollo astronaut (Aldrin? Armstrong? sorry guys, it was a long time ago) address a sales conference for a techy company.

>*That* was inspirational.

Years ago I had the good fortune to meet Buzz Aldrin on board the USS Sequoia, as a guest of Textronix, who had engaged him as a speaker. It was a works jolly for test engineers attending ITC in Washington DC. Everyone was given a signed copy of his book "Men from Earth".

It's not something I am liable to forget. But I probably stopped after only a couple of glasses of champers...

Mr Sage, on the other hand, sounds eminently forgettable, with or without the aid of alcohol.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Sequoia_(presidential_yacht)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like