back to article Well-rested women in danger of bouncing their men into early grave

Older women getting their full quota of kip are far more likely to be getting a full quota of other types of bedroom action too, research by the North American Menopause Society has shown. The news should bring a smile to the face of male partners of more mature women - except that it has already been proven that men who are …

1. Andrew Moore

I think the article might be a little confused...

“men who had sex once a week much more likely to experience cardiovascular events five years later than men who were sexually inactive.”

this would appear to indicate that sexually active men live longer...

1. smudge
      Headmaster

Re: I think the article might be a little confused...

I think what they mean is this: "“men who had sex once a week much more likely, five years later, to experience cardiovascular events than men who were sexually inactive.”

As it is written in the article, it means that the sexually active have to wait an extra five years for their cardiovascular event.

2. JudeKay

Cardiovascular events are a bad thing, I'm told.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

Unless it's your regular heartbeat...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> men who had sex once a week much more likely to

Meanwhile men who don't have died already whether they've stopped moving yet or not.

2. Alexander J. Martin

Eight hours sleep a night!

Phwoar, can you imagine? Retirement is going to be awesome, and it's only about 50 years until I can manage it too!

1. K
      Windows

Re: Eight hours sleep a night!

Way to go PFY... make us BOFH's feel old, only 35 years for me!

1. 's water music
        Windows

Re: Eight hours sleep a night!

>> Retirement is going to be awesome, and it's only about 50 years until I can manage it too!

Way to go PFY... make us BOFH's feel old, only 35 years for me!

PFY? He's probably at least 30. Young for sure but not a PFY any more shirley?

me in my prime-->

3. Ogi

> The study found that older men who had sex once a week or more were “much more likely to experience cardiovascular events five years later than men who were sexually inactive.”

> “Moreover, older men who found sex with their partner extremely pleasurable or satisfying had higher risk of cardiovascular events than men who did not feel so.”

Given the choice, I would rather die due to having too many orgasms, than die later on without having many at all.

I am sure monks live statistically longer than I probably will, but doesn't mean I would want to sacrifice rumpy pumpy for a few extra years.

We are all going to die anyway, might as well die in ecstasy.

As for the older ladies, I guess this is a good argument for having a younger sex partner. Less likely you will make their heart explode due to excessive physical exertion. I guess the cougars had the right idea.

> Phwoar, can you imagine? Retirement is going to be awesome, and it's only about 50 years until I can manage it too!

Lucky! the way things are going, the retirement age for me will be raised into the 90s by the time I am due for retirement. So... might as well have the above mentioned fun instead.

Saying that, I try to get 6-8 hours sleep, I feel more energised and active when I manage a full kip, so probably not an "old person" thing. More like "people who sleep properly have more energy for physical activities". Just so happens old people don't have to get up early for the daily rat race, hence are more physically active.

1. NotBob

Even if you didn't live longer without the fun times, I'm sure it would feel longer...

4. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Trollface

You kip...

...if you want to. This commentard isn't for kipping.

5. tiggity Silver badge

thems the vagaries

“somewhat or very satisfied with their current sexual activity”

Is a bit vague

If we assume a 0 to 100% scale of satisfaction, then presumably anything above 0 could theoretically count as somewhat - a bit more precision on the wording would have been good, with that level of granularity fairly meaningless IMHO

Somewhat - about as vague as you can get.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You kip if you want to. The lady's not for turning over

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about masturbation? Does masturbation could as sex in this regard? I read somewhere than men should ejaculate at least once a week to reduce the risk of prostate cancer.

1. Rich 11

Once a week? I was told it was once a day!

I can take this wrist brace off now. That's a relief.

8. Potemkine Silver badge

Correlation is not causality

The article says "Those getting less than seven to eight hours were less likely to be sexually active compared to younger women" - Wouldn't that be the opposite, sexually active women have a better sleep?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Correlation is not causality

That's what I was gonna say. I'm fairly sure it's the other way around.

Sex -> better sleep

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well it depends what "sexually satisfied" means. My wife and I are are in this age group, and from my wife's perspective (not mine), having little or no sex seems to satisfy her most. This leaves all night for sleeping and 8 hours is easy to achieve. So we have both correlation and causality but not causality in the direction implied by the study.

1. Youngone Silver badge

You are exactly correct, AC. They asked the ladies if they were sexually satisfied.

They didn't ask if they were actually having sex, and I suspect quite a lot of them were quite happy having none, and just answered yes.

9. Chrissy

"If you resolve to give up smoking, drinking and loving, you don't actually live longer; it just seems longer. "

Clement Freud

....and that little old chap maintaining the oil tanks in Waterworld upon seeing his impending death:

"Oh, Thank god!"

10. John 104

OR, you could stay physically active as you get older so your heart is in good shape. I'd like to see information on how much exercise these same blokes got prior to their 'event'.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

well rested women.....

are more likely to spend less time in the kitchen, which implies less healthy high fat, high sugar and high sodium food, which in turn implies greater risk of early heart disease.

so go ahead and plow that "well rested" woman till your 'nads beg for mercy.

you're welcome!

1. Sleep deprived
      Happy

Re: well rested women.....

"getting a full quota of other types of bedroom action too"

If they're well-rested, why stay in the bedroom? There's the patio table, the kitchen table, the kitchen floor, the living room couch, the basement stairs, the workshop saw bench, etc.

12. Herby

I might as well....

Die with a smile on my face. The alternative seems to be terrible. It is kinda like the tombstone that says:

"And I ate all that kale for nothing!"

Me? I like a nice juicy steak, baked potato (with sour cream, chives, AND bacon!). Of course if genetics has anything to do with it, I'll live into my 90's like my mom (still living at 98) and dad (lived to 94!). So, damn the studies full speed ahead.

13. Jess

Needs more detail.

When they say "sex once a week" are they counting climaxes or sessions?

Because someone could easily be well safe or well at risk depending on which they mean.

14. RonWheeler

Gender difference is the interesting bit

The rest of it I can put down to anabolic vs catabolic mechanisms [e.g. https://canute1.wordpress.com/2016/04/16/the-longevity-of-the-long-distance-runner-v-whole-body-factors/}

15. earl grey
    Paris Hilton

so, at this rate i should live forever?

Naw, talk to the hand.

Icon seems appropriate.

16. Santa from Exeter
    Go

Simple answer

It's obvious. The article didn't mention the sex of the women's partners. Get yourself in a nice Menage a Trois and only participate occasionally. Satisfaction and long life all round :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Simple answer

I did, but he's a big black bloke. It wasn't supposed to work out that way!

17. Tikimon

Having exceeded our design specifications...

Consider that humans almost never lived past the age of 35 until a few thousand years ago, and none of our body systems are evolved to last so long. By living into our 70s we're all doing a Mars Rover and hanging around waaay beyond our design spec.

Our base condition as Old Folks is not "normal life goes on". It's more like "old car with worn out parts, lots of rust and dents". I'm impressed that any of us can still shag at that age. Hopefully this kind of research will help us find ways to keep the rusty old clunker running right (so to speak).

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Re: Having exceeded our design specifications...

I'm calling citation needed on that one. What happened a "few thousand years ago" that suddenly increased human life span? I'm guessing you're referring to the transition from a hunter gather lifestyle to agriculture and urban living but why that change should be so beneficial is not at all obvious

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon