back to article Fitbit plans layoffs – report

Fitbit is to cut some 80 to 160 jobs as the “smart” wearable novelty wears off. According to a scoop by The Information, cuts will affect between 5 per cent and 10 per cent of employees, and are part of a reorganisation designed to take $200m costs out of the business. Fitbit is almost synonymous with the activity tracker, and …

1. James 51

I wonder how many of those people are from pebble or duplicate positions HR, accounts etc etc. Still, doubt I'll be buying a fitbit unless they bring out what is effectively a new pebble and I can turn off the fitness stuff.

1. Law

They should just make the pebble time 2, rebranded to fitbit but using the same pebble software I'd buy 2 (I had backed the kick-starter for 2 of them). I'm sure they'd get most pebble users to convert too.

2. Your alien overlord - fear me

How will they choose the victims - make them wear Fitbits for a month and the slackest get the boot?

1. James 51
      Childcatcher

Possibly the opposite, 'You spent more time away from your desk than anyone else, you're fired.'

3. John 104

Not surpised

Still don't see the appeal of this product. I exercise (mountain bike) and know I get a good workout when I get my heart rate up and sweat profusely. The heart rate monitor on these devices is know to be inaccurate, so no benefit there. Pedometer? I can get one for $20 or use my phone. So I'm left with wearing a slightly unreliable watch thingie that doesn't tell time...?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not surpised

Fair, although I think Fitbit's accuracy has gotten much much better with firmware updates. It's usually within 5bpm of treadmill at gym, if that's to be trusted. It does tell time. And count stairs climbed. The silent alarm is pretty great for not disturbing the other half in the mornings, and I use it as a Smart Unlock for my phone, which is otherwise encrypted with a long password. Necessary? Nah. Convenient? To some. I do wish they hadn't taken a dump on Pebble. I would have gotten one of those, except the pedometer on their new models is comically bad (records steps while you type!)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hard to maintain differentiation...

So Fitbit is fairly easily commoditized. Also, does it offer much in additional functionality- not really.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hard to maintain differentiation...

Yes. I thought I'd try one of these things on the cheap and bought a Chinese band with heart rate monitor. It's accurate enough and it was 1/3 of the price of my wife's similar thing from another manufacturer. The software isn't good but there are add ons available, cheap replacement bands and the like. If it only lasts a few months, I really don't care. The little watch face is occasionally useful. If these things aren't a commodity now, I doubt it will take more than another year.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like