back to article Linus Torvalds says Linux 4.10 just 'blew up' as rc6 bloats

Progress on Linux 4.10 has to date been steady. So steady, in fact, that it's not been worth reporting. But that changed on Sunday when Linus Torvalds declared that release candidate six, a previously “small and calm release candidate somehow blew up to not be all that small after all.” Torvalds isn't panicking because he's …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

L8ter

RC Linux bloat does not one’s ire provoke, says sometimes arsey Linux bloke.

2. jason 7

I'm...

..sure this will be interesting to half a dozen or so in the world.

1. Bit Brain

Re: I'm...

It obviously interested you enough for you to click on the article *and* leave a comment.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm...

@jason 7

Bellend.

3. Alistair
    Holmes

GPU and Networking

GPU bloating the RC doesn't really surprise me, given some of the work being done in wine and in HPC, and the HPC GPU code will need quite a number of fixes to networking path code.

That said, its January. Everyone is back at work. So Linus' quiet time through the winter solstice is over.

4. GingerOne

How cute, they still use a mailing list!

1. Hans 1
      Windows

>How cute, they still use a mailing list!

What do you suggest they use, Skype for Business ? ROFL! Teams ? [Pukes guts out and dies]!

It so happens that a mailing list fulfills the task perfectly, has been for DECADES, no need to "improve" what doesn't need fixin' ... next, you'll say they need a nice new tiled touch-only gui to go with it ?

1. dajames

It so happens that a mailing list fulfills the task perfectly...

A newsgroup (perhaps on a private NNTP server) might be better, but not everyone likes to let NNTP traffic through their firewall so a mailing list is a pragmatic choice.

... next, you'll say they need a nice new tiled touch-only gui to go with it ?

Hah! Kids these days ...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

A newsgroup is not better. Mailing lists can be filtered and sorted into folders to the receiver's liking, can be accessed on multiple clients syncing the read/unread/tagged status. A newsgroup requires the same name everywhere without any server-side support for flags and tags.

NNTP is mostly dead. Mailing lists rule.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"What do you suggest they use"

The Microsoft-owned Yammer. Perhaps on April 1st, Linus can announce that move. :-D

2. dbannon

"How cute, they still use a mailing list!"

Yes, they do that because it works. Sometime, working well is more important than gee wizz trendy !

3. Fatman
      Joke

RE: How cute, they still use a mailing list!

And I bet you think that the devs write kernel code in something cute, like Visual Basic?

5. NotBob
    Pint

Isn't it terrible

He seems to be essentially complaining about the amount of improvement work that has been done for this rc. What a shame that more things have been fixed, resulting in a bigger change in the code.

While the world's smallest violin plays, I need a drink...

1. Hans 1
      Stop

Re: Isn't it terrible

> While the world's smallest violin plays, I need a drink...

Same here, although it is not quite Friday, yet ...

2. Munchausen's proxy
      Coat

Shut up, Lennart.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The initial "fixes" ARE a bloat to the size of the codebase, but it can be made smaller, given more time. That is what I gathered from reading the article. If you ever wrote code that is the point of good coding practice; not merely making your thing work, but making it work in fewer lines and less processing/resource usage overall. No? I value "tight code" rather than just "make it work, however large and shitty, and release it like the dump that it is" code. There is a certain level of elegance and clever thinking that goes into really well designed code, even if the code is small like the tiny Atari 2600 games of old. In the larger picture, those bulk of code fixes look huge and need trimming down, according to Linus. And I would tend to agree. Especially where security is involved. For example, fixes for security are going to be top priority and get released right away, yet the code can be cleaned up after the initial vector is closed down saving space or calls or any number of things to improve it.

6. fredesmite

useless releases

BFD .. never ending chase of another meaningless release .

I still like my 3.10 kernel , even 2,6,36 - runs great ; why bother ?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like