back to article Trump lieutenants 'use private email' for govt work... but who'd make a big deal out of that?

Senior members of the Trump administration have been accused of blatant hypocrisy after it was revealed they are continuing to use personal email accounts. Key advisors to the president, Kellyanne Conway and son-in-law Jared Kushner, as well as press secretary Sean Spicer and chief strategist Steve Bannon, all have accounts on …

1. Deltics

"It's not known whether the top lieutenants are using the accounts to discuss White House business outside official channels"

In other words at this point as far as anyone appears to know, this isn't hypocrisy but simply some people - not holders of cabinet posts or even close - using personal email accounts for emails which as far as anyone is prepared to say at the very least *could* be personal in nature or at least not related to government business.

Am I wrong ?

1. jamesb2147

I would not call them "personal" email accounts

We're not talking about Gmail here.

These are RNC email addresses that staffers are likely using for campaign purposes (at least, that's what they're intended for...). There is literally no evidence in the article to support any claim that they are being used otherwise.

And don't get me wrong, I want to skewer Trump as badly as anyone. This just isn't the way to do it. His administration already has so many gaffes... pick one of the actual mistakes to run an article on, El Reg. Perhaps a series on FCC Chairman pick Ajit Pai, the less qualified of the existing 2 Republican commissioners who basically ran a PR campaign on behalf of Verizon while at the FCC despite Trump rhetoric about "draining the swamp"?

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: I would not call them "personal" email accounts

Trump rhetoric about "draining the swamp"?

As someone said on the register a few weeks back. He is draining it all right. You can see all the loverly reptiles out on dry land ready to engorge themselves now.

1. Alistair
          Pint

Why thank you VRH.

2. tekHedd

That's not really the image I wanted right now

"You can see all the loverly reptiles out on dry land ready to engorge themselves now."

"gorge", "engorge", small but significant difference there.

2. Peter K

" that staffers are likely using for campaign purposes (at least, that's what they're intended for...)"

this is similar to what happened during the Bush admin. The RNC set up a separate email server to comply with the Hatch Act. The Hatch Act says you can't use government equipment for political purposes

2. Olius

You're not wrong at this time.

But you are using some serious mental gymnastics to maintain your dogma to a level not usually seen outside of organised religion.

You need to be careful you don't peak too soon - save something back for when it turns out that these email accounts are indeed carrying fairly important govt business information.

1. Deltics

Um, I kept *everything* back, merely pointing out that at this time there is no evidence of any "wrong doing", just evidence of people using certain email addresses with no information about *what* they are using them for. Hence, no possible suggestion of impropriety let along law breaking.

The people who should be holding back are those waving the pitchforks already and baying for the blood of alleged hypocrites.

1. Lotaresco
          FAIL

"The people who should be holding back are those waving the pitchforks already and baying for the blood of alleged hypocrites."

Nope. This is a blatant disregard of public sensitivities about the arrogance of government officials who use email inappropriately. Using a party email account when in government is blatant avoidance of putting on record the communications that should be on record. That's before we get to the fact that the GOP is not an organisation I would trust to run an email server let along a *secure* email server.

The mahoosive hypocrisy of shouting "lock her up" and then doing *exactly* the same thing she was accused of is missed by no one other than those fitted with political blinkers.

1. Old one

She apparently reset the bar - she ain't locked up so the rules and laws no longer apply to "high gov't officials".

2. Lotaresco

"merely pointing out that at this time there is no evidence of any 'wrong doing'"

There is already evidence of doing wrong.

Officials are subject to the “Disclosure Requirement For Official Business Conducted Using Electronic Messaging Accounts," 44 U.S.C. 2209. If White House staffers have already used the RNC email system for White House work, they must copy or forward those communications into the government system within 20 days.

Clear so far?

The RNC has stated that it has deleted the emails of Bannon, Kushner and Conway.

So they have no intention of filing those emails in a government system.

That, right there, is a Federal crime, the wilful destruction of evidence that leads to a further Federal crime of failing to comply with 44 USC 2209.

1. Eddy Ito
            Facepalm

There is already evidence of doing wrong.

Officials are subject to the “Disclosure Requirement For Official Business Conducted Using Electronic Messaging Accounts," 44 U.S.C. 2209. If White House staffers have already used the RNC email system for White House work, they must copy or forward those communications into the government system within 20 days.

Clear so far?

Sounds clear to me. What you are really saying is they don't have to do a damn thing for nearly another two weeks.

I'm guessing you're one of those who will swoop across three lanes of traffic just so you won't be second in line at the traffic light.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Technical failure @Loaresco

Deleting account != Deleting contents

3. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
            Happy

The RNC has stated that it has deleted the emails of Bannon, Kushner and Conway.

And created emails for "not-Bannon", "not_Kushner" and "definitely_not_Conway"?

3. itzman
      Paris Hilton

yes, you are wrong..

because all those thumbs down are a consensus and as we have proved from climate change, a consensus is by definition right, in a post truth, 'truth is relative to culture', world.

If enough people stop believing that the sun will rise, it won't. if 97% of democrats believe that the world will come to an, end it will.

In fact, the signs are that for them, it has.

So There

1. Just Enough

Re: yes, you are wrong..

"a consensus is by definition right,"

No, a consensus is not by definition right, and you won't find anyone suggesting it is, so please put away this strawman.

But a consensus is most likely to be right because it has arisen through multiple independent experiments and research results that are all broadly in agreement. Therefore the consensus best fits what our best understanding of the real world is. Consensus can change, but only in the light of other experiments, research and verification. This is what we call "science".

Contrast this with "I don't believe consensus simply because I don't like it". A position you are welcome to take, but doesn't really withstand much analysis and fools no-one but yourself.

4. Charlie Clark Silver badge

It's really quite simple: employed office holders are banned from conducting party business.

1. Dr Stephen Jones

Not in the US they're not.

2. Old one

That has to be the funniest comment I have read in a week. Staffers do party business everyday. Anything that promotes any one congressperson promotes that person's party -- see what this repub can do for you or see how this demorat helped you....

I can easily say that the rotten two state senators only follow the party line and refuse to vote for a bill that could help millions of citizens. They will follow the party line even when doing so is clearly detrimental to the state that they supposedly represent. That makes them party lackeys and their staff back up the party's "official line of bull". I have written to a senator on Homeland Security and get a response on global warming... do you think that makes me want to support anyone of that party?

5. Lotaresco
      Devil

"In other words at this point as far as anyone appears to know, this isn't hypocrisy but simply some people - not holders of cabinet posts or even close - using personal email accounts for emails which as far as anyone is prepared to say at the very least *could* be personal in nature or at least not related to government business."

This is very easy to resolve. Fortunately Trump has put the tools in our hands with his first one-on-one television interview since being sworn in as president. We can get the information from his lieutenants in the manner he approves of. There's probable cause in that they are using non-official channels for communication and that shows they have something to hide. So, let's get them on the rack, break out the hot irons and get the information out of them in a manner which they fully support. A process in which there needs to be only an accusation and someone willing to watch the screaming and attempt to make some sense of it.

It's all good folks. All good. This is going to be tremendous. Tremendous.

6. Halfmad

Never as clear cut as that.

One of the problems I've had is people using gmail etc for personal e-mail which then over the course of the conversation includes work related stuff, this should be request-able via FOI and should only be on work e-mail servers - it's a surprisingly common problem.

7. HausWolf

I say the only way to be sure is for them to turn over the emails.. lets see how many they say are private and non essential.

2. dmacleo

1-it is a big deal and should be addressed

2-clinton used her own server not just her own personal email address.would think a tech site would understand the implications there.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Mrs. Clinton was caught with many many classified government documents attached to her illegal private emails, making her a federal felon. Many of her friends an associates also had such access.

No such crimes are being alleged here, not even by the author of this hit piece.

1. Blank Reg

All of a sudden you need facts now? The unfounded allegations of the idiots of the alt-right and republicans was good enough up until now, why do others require facts to back up claims?

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

John, please explain 'Illegal private emails'

As far as I am aware, government officials are not required to preserve private emails. Perhaps you could provide a link to the law making private emails illegal.

I think you could also benefit from reading the FBI's press release. As is well known Comey ignored FBI procedure in a scandalous effort to influence the US elections. His obvious bias shows throughout the press release, giving many scary short quotes suitable for twitter, which he promptly backs away from at the end of the paragraph.

So lets look at Comey's final summary: "Although there is evidence of potential violations of the statutes regarding the handling of classified information, our judgment is that no reasonable prosecutor would bring such a case."

Not "evidence of violations", he said "evidence of potential violations". This is a partisan government employee going out of his way to abuse his position to influence an election, and the best he can come up with is some weasel words that at best imply an unreasonable prosecutor has half an excuse to continue this witch hunt.

Comey 'excused' his behaviour by claiming he was pressured to disclose by republican senators who had received leaks from his subordinates. Perhaps these leaks containing sensitive information were sent by email to private emails from government officials to senators. Why have these people not been locked up?

1. Potemkine Silver badge

Re: John, please explain 'Illegal private emails'

Comey 'excused' his behaviour by claiming he was pressured to disclose by republican senators

To be pressured you need to be initially opposed to the pressure. Looking at Corney's actions and the fact he will be maintained in his position by the Unpresidented, serious questions occur about his opposition to Republican influence.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@BJ

Mrs. Clinton was caught with many many classified government documents attached to her illegal private emails, making her a federal felon. Many of her friends an associates also had such access.

I guess being formally cleared for no less than nine times after Republicans kept re-triggering the same investigation in the hope of finding something, ANYthing is not allowed to register in your world of alternative facts.

You know what they say about doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different outcome..

1. Stoneshop
          Devil

You know what they say about doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different outcome..

"Being stuck with a Windows habit"

2. Old one

She was NEVER cleared. She just was not prosecuted and could still be IF enough congressional reps wanted to hold her to the standard that US Military has been held to. If anything she had a higher role to be an example of exemplementry conduct and not lying before a Congressional Committee. She committed

the crimes and then perjured her testimony making it two different sets of crimes. Yet she walks free. Only FLOTUS to have been officially charged with perjury while POTUS was in office and she gets away with it again. Remember Travelgate that she ruined many lives with her lying allegations? ALL allegations were found to be false... She has never been charged with the theft of over $200K from the WH furnishings when they moved out nor the theft of $27k from the State Dept for furnishings that were moved to her private DC residence. She single highhandedly has lowered the overall standards of honesty in gov't official positions to lows only equaled by banana republics.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

She was NEVER cleared

Really? Since when do they allow a new investigation to start when the old one into the same topic hasn't even finished yet?

4. nematoad

Wait.

"No such crimes are being alleged here..."

Give it time.

5. netminder

No, there were not "many", there were 3 & at least 2 of those were not classified until AFTER they had been sent.

Please try to follow the information provided & not the BS of one party

Remember the Republicans investigated this issue NINE TIMES and could find no evidence of wrong doing or the mishandling of classified information,

6. HausWolf

When was the indictment, trial and sentencing? If none of those happened, then she is by definition, not a felon.

3. rfrovarp

Twitter

Saw an article this morning indicating that the official POTUS and similar Twitter accounts were being backed by gmail accounts.

1. Stevie

Re: Twitter

How is this possible? Mayor 911 is in charge of cyber security.

I disbelieve Mayor 911! No, wait! The other one!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Twitter

Well, if the accounts pre-date holding office, that makes perfect sense. Can't have a .gov (or whatever) email address if you're not in the gov.

Might be an idea to change that ... can one change one's twitter email connection?

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Wow this article is really reaching

Someone from the Trump administration is doing something. It's probably unethical and non-liberal.

Apart from that...

Whether the current crop of White House staff has decided to be as conscientious or whether they consider email policy to be another of the official policies they are not obliged to follow, only time will tell.

Implying there are "other official policies they are consider they are not obliged to follow".

Like what?

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: Wow this article is really reaching

Speaking the truth.

That's one of the actual laws that they decided not to follow within a few hours of the inauguration.

While they can of course refuse to answer, it is illegal for the Executive to lie to the US public.

As their first press statement contained multiple obvious lies, we cannot believe any other they will ever make during the rest of the Trimp Presidency.

This private email server may be entirely innocent, mostly innocent with several significant mistakes (like Clinton's), very suspicious with uknown mistakes because it's illegally wiped (like Bush's) or may be a complete and total disaster waiting to happen.

Given the known behaviour of Trump's team, which one would you bet on?

1. Stevie

Re: Wow this article is really reaching

Not lies. Alternative facts.

Do keep up.

5. jamesb2147

The return of the high horse

All shall bow before His Highness. Once again, Kieren is intent on taking the moral high ground and from his perch deigning others guilty of crimes in his court, much like the Queen of Hearts, or Nancy Grace.

Certainly there is potential for abuse, but White House staff are prohibited by law from using WH email accounts to carry on the business of campaigning. So, it is not at all surprising that they might still be finishing up campaign business and using rnchq email addy's. Bush's staffers often uesd them as well, and probably broke the rules in the same way as Clinton did. Unintentionally and in shockingly small numbers.

Now, as to why that was a big deal for Clinton and not Bush? That's a fine question, though we only discovered it with Bush after he'd been re-elected, IIRC.

Get off your damn horse, Kieren. It absolutely ruins your writing. I don't know why the editors allow this through.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The return of the high horse

Those of us the normal world are interested in the hypocrisy of those idiots you are quick to defend. If the tory/republicans are not these things, please clarify because the rest of us see this nonsense everyday and just shake our heads at the juvenile complaints about unimportant issues and other issues settled decades ago that can't be let go of(abortion, immigration, mail servers, taxes, etc.) by these pretend business leaders. And proclaim on every fucking mountain top and at everyone within unfortunate earshot.

Let's see. Tories and Republicans are:

Afraid of science, and yet use any and all available products of science everyday, and still deny it

Prone to pray to unprovable deities, and then claim all other religions besides their own are false

instinctively unable to admit blame on any issue

unable to compromise and sees that as a sign of weakness to be exploited

people who help their neighbors, as long as their the same race as them and they can claim it as charity

complain loudly about taxes, yet consumes all benefits provided and then some

complain loudly about taxes, yet drives on my roads and other "socialist" products

wants a smaller government, but one that will keep down individual freedoms they don't agree with

In the US only; they are all from immigrant families, wave the flag of the immigrant nation, and want to build a wall to keep out people who are actually indigenous to this land.

So, no, fuck those guys and you too for supporting or being one of them. Torys and Republicans are shit people doing nothing good for society, just for themselves and atop as many "lesser people" they can step on on their way to the "top." Garbage and not actually very human. Hypocrites, each and every one. I know, I have them in my family. Just coasting until death. Eating fried foods and wondering with they look like shit. I know them VERY well. They mostly claim to have read one book, the bible. That's where the problems start. :)

1. Deltics

The problem (for your diatribe) being that *at this stage* there is nothing but a speculated possibility of hypocrisy. The actual facts at this stage - as reported - are that some low/mid ranking officials who have legitimate prima face need to conduct party business are using email accounts provided by their party. But we don't know what those emails relate to so they a) could represent improper use of private emails for government business or b) entirely appropriate emails for the conduct of party or personal business.

Once you have *actual* hypocrisy to complain about, let's talk.

As for the conflation of religion with the right wing, frankly, most people I know who pray to unprovable deities are quite definitely on the left of the political spectrum. Which isn't to say that right wing extremist don't also claim to believe in those same deities, only that they don't hold the monopoly on that particular delusion.

2. PTW

You know what Tories and Republicans don't do?

Smash shit up when they don't get their own way! Or spout vile nonsense along side chants of "hope not hate"

And just listen to yourself in the last paragraph, mind you don't choke on your quinoa.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: You know what Tories and Republicans don't do? Smash shit up when they don't get their own way!

No, they have various underlings to do that. Doesn't make them any less guilty. The police assaulted the miners and travellers during the 80s, do you think they did that off their own backs?

And what about the wilful destruction of the NHS by the "free market"? Or selling off all the council housing stock? That's more wilful destruction. A few angry people smashing windows is really not significant in comparison.

1. PTW

Re: You know what Tories and Republicans don't do? Smash shit up when they don't get their own way!

You know full well I was talking about voters, not those in Government. But, when the facts are against you just change the whole argument, you're all the same.

FFS "the miners"!? Still blaming Maggie? Right on Comrade! Hahaha!

2. Lotaresco

"You know what Tories and Republicans don't do? Smash shit up when they don't get their own way!"

The Tories and Republicans have shown no hesitation in smashing things. Often it is people they smash, physically shooting or battering workers who dare to ask for decent pay and working conditions, for example. There are many examples on both sides of the pond. Smashing people by putting them on the street. Smashing the homes and possessions of those they disagree with. At present the Tories are trying to smash social medicine and social institutions. They are also trying to smash the European Union. There's much evidence of the desire to ruin things.

Trump is now trying to smash healthcare for people who cannot afford it.

1. PTW
            FAIL

Really, Tory and Republican voters take to the street to smash things up!?

3. goodjudge

"You know what Tories and Republicans don't do?

Smash shit up when they don't get their own way! "

Have you looked at any pictures of Iraq recently? Like, in the last 14 years?

4. Stevie

Re: The return of the high horse 4 PTW

You know what Tories and Republicans don't do?

Smash shit up when they don't get their own way! Or spout vile nonsense along side chants of "hope not hate"

A joke, right? Because eight years ago I watched an entire television network turned over to wild allegations and outright (and outrageous) lies concerning a jumped-up dark skinned man who won himself the presidency in a landslide despite protesters turning up to his rallies with - and I am not making this up - rifles because they asserted, and continued to assert in the absence of any evidence over the course of an eight year presidency, that "Obama was coming for our guns".

And let's not forget the "birther" movement, whose figurehead and spokesgit in chief was ... oh, it's on the tip of my tongue, never mind it'll come to me later.

Or the Do Nothing Congress. Or the Do Nothing Senate, whose publically stated goal was to commit all it's efforts to preventing President Obama from getting anything done. And the, what, 60+ attempts to repeal the Affordable Care Act just because, and with no planned replacement for "the worst legislation in American history".

No, I see it now. You are absolutely right.

1. PTW

Re: The return of the high horse @Stevie

Nice comment, but turning up at rallies with rifles or inflatable peanuts for that matter, or telling lies DOES NOT EQUAL smashing shit up because you lost the vote.

And as in my previous responses, which you chose to ignore, I was talking about voters, not politicians, so why bring Congress into the argument?

So I guess you're trying to... what exactly? Claim the moral high ground whist

1. supporting riots?

2. supporting hate?

3. not actually counter any of the points I actually made?

1. Stevie

Re: The return of the high horse @Stevie Right Back @ PTW

You didn't write "voter" you used the more inclusive "tories" and "conservatives", and I class running roughshod over the constitution, wantonly overturning legislation in the face of solid reasons not to do so and abrogating a publicly-funded public duty as "smashing shit up".

So I'm afraid that I'm going to have to put you in the FOAD box there, PTW.

In you go.

5. Mike Moyle

Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building

Austin Texas IRS Office Attack

Malheur National Wildlife Refuge

Planned Parenthood clinics in Sioux Falls, SD; St. Paul, MN; Grand Chute, WI; Bloomington, IN

...just off the top of my head.

The difference, as the Kennedy brothers and Bill Clinton on the left, and Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush (among others) on the right showed us, is that Democrats screw people RETAIL, while Republicans screw people WHOLESALE.

1. PTW

Re: The return of the high horse @Mike Moyle

All committed by mobs of rioters Mike? Thought not, good and bad in all groups, but following your logic all muslims are terrorists? And don't confuse religion with politics, PP attacks are by religious nutters.

Show me where conservatives have turned out mob handed like Democrats and rioted because they lost a vote, please, I'd love to be more informed.

Downvote away folks, we [I] know you fucking hate facts :D

1. Mike Moyle

Re: The return of the high horse @Mike Moyle

"All committed by mobs of rioters Mike?"

I wish I could post that photo of the football referee calling an "Illegal goalpost move".

You said, and I quoted in my reply:

You said that (conservatives) don't smash things. I showed that they do. You didn't mention "mobs of rioters", so I didn't address mobs of rioters. I refuted the claim as stated.

Also: "...following your logic all muslims are terrorists?"

I hope you don't smoke, P. (May I call you "P"? "PTW" just seems so formal and since we're apparently on a first-name basis, and all...) I understand that those straw men can be awfully flammable.

How did you get wa-a-a-a-a-ay over there from my pointing out that conservatives DO, in fact, smash things when they feel like they don't get their way? Note that I did not say "ALL conservatives", but merely pointed out examples where conservatives had smashed stuff -- and on a grand scale, in some cases! So, again; answering the claim as stated.

"And don't confuse religion with politics, PP attacks are by religious nutters"

Which of the cases I mentioned were committed by liberal religionists? None of them, you say...? They were all acts by conservatives with a religious bent? (Religiously-bent conservatives...? Oooooh; kinky!)

Then whatever their proximate motivations, the perpetrators were conservatives who tried to "(s)mash shit up when they (didn't) get their own way."

2. Orv Silver badge

"The difference, as the Kennedy brothers and Bill Clinton on the left, and Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush (among others) on the right showed us, is that Democrats screw people RETAIL, while Republicans screw people WHOLESALE."

That, and Republicans (so far) tend to be far more heavily armed. The left has some catching up to do.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Dr Stephen Jones

@anon

I would not vote for Trump even if I could, and there is plenty of hypocrisy to go round. But:

Your comment is self-righteous, intolerant and ignorant.

Don't you get it yet? You are one of the reasons Trump won.

1. HausWolf

I am tired of those on the right claiming that the left is the reason the short fingered vulgarian won. He won because far too many on the right are party over country.

You enabled and voted him and his lies in, you are responsible.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Kieren has been posting these propaganda pieces for a few months now, but since the election they seem to be arriving daily, and they're getting more shrill and baseless at the same time.

Someone should check his blood pressure or something.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Maybe he forgot the blood pressure meds.

Social Justice Warriors are throwing their toys out of the pram everywhere. Not all get to pretend to be journalists.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Virtue signalling.

From a post truth faux news soshlist.

Yawn. Where's me toast ?

4. Lotaresco
      Devil

"All shall bow before His Highness. "

"When the Jews return to Zion and a comet fills the sky, and the Holy Roman Empire rises; then you and I must die. From the eternal sea he rises, creating armies on either shore, turning man against his brother, 'til man exists no more."

Has anyone checked Trump's head for the number of the beast? There has to be a reason why he has such a ludicrous covering of starched hair.

PS: 666+666+666+6+6+6 = 2016. Just sayin'.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

> PS: 666+666+666+6+6+6 = 2016. Just sayin'.

Numerology was so last year, dahling!

6. Schultz
    Go

Important government business ...

is communicated by twitter. If it's not on twitter, then the Donald probably didn't read it and, ergo, it's not government business. Simples.

7. TRT Silver badge

Well, if they are using it for official business at the start of the new administration...

it sets a bad president.

1. Mark 85
      Pint

Re: Well, if they are using it for official business at the start of the new administration...

Nicely done... have a cold one for that.

8. Hardrada

Is Conway even subject to FOIA?

Not all white house staffers are: http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/235900-white-house-exempts-office-from-foia-regs

Also, neither Conway or Kushner have any security clearance.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The outright worst thing that Hillary did

Was help Donald Trump win the primary because she thought he'd be easy to beat.

Stop the world. Getting off now.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Re: The outright worst thing that Hillary did

Yep, it's all Hillary's fault. No need to mention the other 21 contenders who also failed to beat Trump.

[Chafee, Lessig, O’Malley, Sanders, Webb, Bush, Carson, Christie, Cruz, Fiorina, Gilmore, Graham, Huckabee, Jindal, Kasich, Pataki, Paul, Perry, Rubio, Santorum, Walker]

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: The outright worst thing that Hillary did

Nobody said that. Pay attention.

It's the fault of everybody who voted for Trump and everybody who helped Trump's campaign.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If anyone is looking for some pro-Trump propaganda from 'ordinary' citizens then look no further than the comments of ANY Trump related video featured on LiveLeak.com. The level of Trump support from commenters there is sickening.

I find myself refraining from commenting on those videos because I know the downvote button on my comment would be descended upon like a pack of starving rabid dogs. Trolling them would be easier than shooting fish in a barrel if you're not worried about your account getting banned etc.

The comments section of this site is like a breath of fresh air amongst the gas-bags of Trump supporters polluting the internet with their proud unabashed ignorance.

So glad this site exists.

1. Lotaresco

"If anyone is looking for some pro-Trump propaganda from 'ordinary' citizens then look no further than the comments of ANY Trump related video featured on LiveLeak.com."

Last night on BBC News they showed three women from California who called themselves the "Trumpettes" and who sing (badly) of their love for Murika and Trump. They did lots of finger pointing during their songs (such as pointing at the floor when they sang "This land is my land". In this they reminded me of the Protestant Orange Order who used to caper bizarrely in parades, wearing white gloves and pointing at things. I suppose it's appropriate that they should look like orange men.

Anyway... they quoted some Bible text as justification for Trump. It was Ezekiel 22:30 which they cited as: "I looked for someone among them who would build up the wall" They thought this was brilliant and we were treated to the sight of three seriously overweight matrons giggling and rolling around like toddlers who have just said "pants".

I note that the King James Version, you know the one that the rightards claim is the "literal word of God" (their capital) makes no mention of wall, it says "hedge", that might be nice, a close clipped Leylandii or yew hedge along the border. Perhaps with a few signs saying "Welcome neighbor, nice to see you!" I dissemble...

They didn't finish the quote, doing that usual thing of picking some words from the Bible in the hope that listeners will consider those words to be authority for whatever stupidity someone dreamed up.

From the New International Version:

"I looked for someone among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I would not have to destroy it, but I found no one."

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Hedging my bet

"... it says "hedge", that might be nice, a close clipped Leylandii or yew ..."

I reckon box might be what Trump would make a grab for.

11. Guus Leeuw

Why editors allow this through?

Because there are no editors at the register... many years of evidence to back that claim up....

Guus

12. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Coat

As they say in Russia, to my frieds everything, to my enemies the law.

And I think The D has shown he understands that idea quite well.

As for "Well it's not important let it lie" the fact The D's inauguration was not quite the once-in-a-universe turnout he expected, or the fact he lost the popular vote by 3 million and claimed (with no evidence shown) that was the number of illegal votes cast, suggests he's not very good at letting anything lie.

I'm still pondering which one I would feel safer with. A 9YO girl holding a loaded pistol with the safety off or The D with nuclear launch codes.

Silly question really. He's already got the codes and you cannot take them away from him.

1. Tom 64

Re: As they say in Russia, to my frieds everything, to my enemies the law.

Not so, you could introduce the big D to the 9YO girl.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Childcatcher

"Not so, you could introduce the big D to the 9YO girl."

I cannot contemplate what the merest hint of a suggestion of the implication of that proposal might say about The D without risking a possible jail term.

As we know The D is great lover of family, as witnessed by this charming portrait shot

I keep thinking there should be a shared thinks bubble above them saying "'Yo just jealous"

2. Lotaresco

Great, I'll have the full English. I love fried breakfast especially when it has everything. Can you make sure I get fried bread as well as hash browns, keep the beans away from the eggs and it's Bury black pudding not the awful southern thing. Thanks.

3. nematoad

" ...you cannot take them away from him."

I think that you will find that Section 4 of the 25th Amendment to the US Constitution does in fact allow for the President to be relieved of his duties.

So if Trump throws a wobbler then the Vice-President and Congress could step in

1. Mike Moyle

"So if Trump throws a wobbler then the Vice-President and Congress could step in"

You're... Not making me feel any better.

4. Haku

Re: he's not very good at letting anything lie

To quote a better man than I:

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

13. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

No Surprise

Considering all the insane, evil executive orders Rump is firing off, this is just a comic side show - and to think monster May is talking about closer relationships. I'd be getting as far away as possible. Who wants to be on the train when the driver is going full speed for the land slide?

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge

Re: No Surprise

Speaking of executive orders, how come they were bad when Obama was making them but suddenly OK now?

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: No Surprise

Speaking of executive orders, how come they were bad when Obama was making them but suddenly OK now?

Who's complaining about them? All presidents make them with the knowledge that the next one might undo them. But if you want details then Obama's orders were usually made after he couldn't get something through Congress, Trump is currently signing ones largely for show: nearly everything still has to go through Congress.

Trump reminds me of Mussolini: he likes to be in front of the camera doing something. We can expect a lot of this for a while but at some point he's going to have to deliver and the constitution deliberately makes that difficult.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Unhappy

"and to think monster May is talking about closer relationships. "

Simple.

If you have no backbone you make friends with the biggest bully in the playground.

And Trump looks like he may have read "How to make enemies and alienate people" closely.

14. Marshalltown

Trump

I just wish the idiot would quit all the mouth motions and lip pursings. He seems to be trying to look like a horse's ass with haemorrhoids. And, he pays someone to do his hair that way. It looks like a horse holding its tail off to the side. The sole legacy that Trump may have is the divisiveness he has unleashed. That effect is second only to the Civil War and may very well culminate in the same yet.

1. nematoad
      Thumb Up

Re: Trump

Up vote for correct spelling of haemorrhoids.

15. CheeseTriangles
    Unhappy

Megalomania ?

This is from Wikipedia.... does it sound like a description of Donald Trump?

"People with narcissistic personality disorder are characterized by their persistent grandiosity, excessive need for admiration, and a disdain and lack of empathy for others. These individuals often display arrogance, a sense of superiority, and power-seeking behaviors. Narcissistic personality disorder is different from having a strong sense of self-confidence; people with NPD typically value themselves over others to the extent that they disregard the feelings and wishes of others and expect to be treated as superior regardless of their actual status or achievements. In addition, people with NPD may exhibit fragile egos, an inability to tolerate criticism, and a tendency to belittle others in an attempt to validate their own superiority."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Megalomania ?

I couldn't think of a better description of Hillary.

One thing NPD people dont have, is a sense of humour.

Trump must have, because he has been taking the piss out of the Left since the campaign started.

1. nematoad

One thing NPD people dont have, is a sense of humour.

Trump must have, because he has been taking the piss out of hairdressing since the campaign started.

FTFY

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
          Coat

"because he has been taking the piss out of hairdressing since the campaign started."

Just wait.

Someday the fox that's been sleeping on his head will awake....

2. Mike Moyle

"One thing NPD people dont have, is a sense of humour."

Of course they do. They have the BEST sense of humor. Absolutely the best. No one has a better sense of humor! Even comedians tell them -- and they know the BEST comedians, really; top-notch comedians, not like those losers on SNL... Not funny at all... Sad...

But THEY can make fun of, or laugh at, ANYONE! That, to them, proves that they have a great sense of humor. What they DON'T have is any sort of self-deprecating sense of humor, for obvious reasons.

16. AnonymousSs

This article borders on propaganda. Some carefully chosen words such as 'personal emails' yet the domain is that of the Republicans not gmail or some other personal account domain.

The click bait headline also claims they are using private email for government work, but then goes on to say that there is absolutely no evidence to suggest this.

It's speculation/propaganda.

There is also no evidence to suggest Russian bogeymen hackers have hacked this server, only a 'suspicion' but again it is mentioned to tie in with the anti-Trump narrative and the propaganda agenda.

It's very sad that even sites like The Register are not immune to this sort of blatant misrepresentation and misleading article which just add to the disinformation out there.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

There's a huge distinction between speculation and propaganda…

17. Lotaresco
    Devil

Lock him up!

Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up!

Isn't this how "debate" is conducted in the People's Republic of Trumpistan?

1. codejunky Silver badge

Re: Lock him up!

@ Lotaresco

Unfortunately you are right that debate is now pretty much at that level. And of course saying something simple yet unrelated like that to shut down opinions that differ from the prescribed 'view' has resulted in people being unable to critically think about issues and realise that there are trade-offs to decisions and real world consequences.

For example the 'lock him up' could be in response to 'racist', 'xenophobe', 'bigot' or many other examples of lowering the debate for many years now. Hopefully some day both sides will step up the level of debate but I see little evidence of it yet.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

it's fake news

alternative facts are REAL. Don't listen to the fake news. Alternative facts are REAL. Don't listen to fake news. Alternative facts are REAL. Don't...

19. Rocketist
    WTF?

What? Hypocrisy?

"Senior members of the Trump administration have been accused of blatant hypocrisy"

Seriously now, El Reg, since when is that news?

20. Potemkine Silver badge

If there are suspicions of bad behavior, maybe an inquiry should be started with a search into rnchq.org servers and archive, to check if GOP members did exactly what they accused Clinton to do.

I wonder if the FBI will ask for a warrant.... not.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I wonder if the FBI will ask for a warrant...."

To save time they can just ask Putin.

1. Philip Lewis

NSA has everything already

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Be outraged if they're still doing it in six months, wasn't clinton running her server for a year or so?

22. unwarranted triumphalism

No hypocrisy

There is no evidence that the administration or the President is doing anything wrong. Why won't you let him do his job without the constant sniping?

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: Why won't you let him do his job without the constant sniping?

Like you did with Obama?

1. unwarranted triumphalism

> Like you did with Obama

Nothing to do with me. I never made any comments about his unfitness for office, or his incompetence.

1. Philip Lewis

How many articles pissing on and/or praising Barrack Obama appeared on The Register during the 3 months either side of his first election?

Inquiring minds would like to know

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The problem was not that Hillary used a private eMail account for govt business.

The problem was the compromise of classified national security information.

There are literally hundreds of thousands of Federal employees that use private non-secure eMail in the course of conducting government business on a daily basis, and as long as classified information is not compromised it is not a problem.

Hillary's actions were unambiguously criminal.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Hillary's actions were unambiguously criminal.

Apart from nine investigations finding that they were not criminal.

24. kmac499

Spin Doctors vs Couldn't give a....

Illegal or not, what this really shows is either the political naivety of the new administration; which the likes of Alistair Campbell would've had their bollocks off for, or more likely a just sense of superiority and no need to comply, cos' we're the good guys.

Anyone else seen the memes comparing Donalds appearance, mannerisms and 'oratory' style to Mussolini. Some nice side by side photos of 'Il Duce' and 'Douche'. aka Mr President.

I think they've missed a trick he should be nicknamed "El Douché" much more err... Spanish?

25. All names Taken
    Joke

Never! I don't bleev it!

It looks like their civil service is as bad as ours (uk I mean).

C'man ABC and Sen XYZ are sending things that we cannot look at!

More realistically: who leaked the story?

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Status Quo

By not prosecuting Hillary Clinton the US establishment have condoned the practice of using private systems for official business. The practice has been normalised.

Only if they continued to use private systems AFTER Hillary was prosecuted would they be hypocrites.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The Status Quo

If I criticise you for something I'm doing it's only hypocritical if a judge agrees with me?

What bollocks.

27. Stevie

Bah!

LOCK THEM UP! LOCK THEM UP!

28. Dr_N

Bush II Iraq & WMDs

Same servers (RNC ones) the Bush administration used to hide what they were up to during the build-up to Gulf War II.

Avoiding any of the damning evidence ending up in the federal archive.

29. Alistair

Yeeeeeeeeeeesh.

Well Kieren;

Looks rather like you're going to suffer the AO situation. You certainly have opened up the floodgates of debate between the opposing ends of the commentaryatti.

I'll chip in. Just for fun.

The article indicates that it is possible that there are members of Prez.Tweeter.Trump's staff who are using non White House email addresses. Its possible that this is perfectly acceptable as there is no indication that they are using said email accounts for WhiteHouse business, and they could still have obligations to the RNC.

Prez.Tweeter.Trump made quite an issue about using non-governmental email servers while in the White House during his campaign.

(straight facts there)

Is it hypocritical of TeamTrump? This is possible. That they have not come back immediately with a concrete statement of policy regarding this situation is possibly due to the fact that TeamTrump is too damned busy finding things to be done via Executive Order that will make sure that Prez.Tweeter.Trump is seen on TV every single day doing something.

-> Disclosure: -> I'm Canadian. American born, but a Canadian citizen by choice. I'm white, male, well employed, reasonably well educated, a father and a home owner.

I've gone on record pointing out that neither Clinton nor Trump were presidential during their campaigns and in fact that the 2016 election was a choice between possibly the two worst candidates available. As for B Obama, he did the job, the same job presidents have done for the last 40 years, with grace, style and class. He did try to change a couple of little things along the way. Still and all, the swamp is draining and it has been made abundantly clear that they need to "rebrand" that country. United States of Goldman Sachs.

I'm hoping that they make *THAT* an executive order.

30. Gis Bun

Republicans are all hypocrites.

Oh. There is no way of knowing if the party's server is more secure than Clinton's server.

Meanwhile, according to hacker WauchulaGhost [who claimed to have hacked 500 pro-ISIS accounts], the Twitter accounts for Trump, Melania Trump and Mike Pence are more vulnerable to hackers because of a basic Twitter security setting they're not using. With a little bit of work "he" figured out that the Twitter account for Pence is a associated with a less secure Gmail account and both Trumps also use Gmail accounts.

Trump also using a non-government issued Android phone for his personal use still.

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"[...] the Twitter accounts for Trump, Melania Trump and Mike Pence are more vulnerable to hackers [...]"

That would allow plausible deniability for an alternative fact too far. "Not us - we wuz hacked"

32. Mahhn

Question

Question, does Reg endorse their employees use their work Email for personal use?

That's against the rules where I work.

Soon as they get caught doing any Gov secret data on private Email, please run a news story on it, I'll join in on the bashing then, but not until.

33. Orv Silver badge

You have to understand how it works here. There's one set of rules for Republicans, and a much stricter set of rules for Democrats. This is enforced by the mainstream press, which are so terrified of being called out for "liberal bias" by Republican talk radio hosts that they lean heavily in the other direction. In all elections the Republican is treated as the default, and the Democrat as a heavily-scrutinized interloper who has no right to pursue public office.

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fuck I am glad I got out of IT

Why is it that every time I go to Ars Tec or The Register I am exposed to this bullshit - crap left leaning fanboy articles written by tech hacks who now see it as their right to bomb us with their personal political agenda/opinion using no facts - just as long as it has some peripheral IT angle.

Really, I can live without this stuff.

35. All names Taken
    Joke

Another factor in the mix?

Given the President's outspoken-ness and honesty that would make him a "loose cannon" in UK civil-service-speak. Basically implying he is beyond acceptable Whitehall influence.

If on t'other side of pond US civil servants are taking a similar approach then all of these leaks have to be considered that US civil servants, like ours in the UK, first priority is personal interest, second priority mutual self-interest, third priority is extended mutual self interest, ... and at the end of the line: doing what the job entails.

And if that supposition is true aren't they acting as traitors? Undermining a new President and abusing powers to do so? It is totally un-American I tell you?

Daft as it seems unless something appears otherwise the President is the will of the people in action. I don't like the choice they made byt t'President is t'President isn't he?

36. Peter K

mountain out of a molehill. apparently you can't see the distinction between a private email server that no one knew about to one that is known.

I suspect that like with most organizations the folks in the Trump WH have not been provided with training on when and why to use a particular email account. also if government business is done on this private server they should have been informed that such messages must be forwarded to their government email account something that wasn't done by a former Secretary of State and her minions.

also don't forget that the previous administration was notorious for establishing anonymous government email accounts in order to avoid complying with FOIA requests

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like