back to article Furby Rickroll demo: What fresh hell is this?

Here's your future botnet, world: connected kids toys that will Rickroll their owners while hosing big servers and guessing the nuclear codes. Hacker Jake Davis, once known as "Topiary" of LulzSec, plucked out the work of Florian Euchner, who pulled apart the Bluetooth variant that toy-maker Hasbro uses to update its "Furby" …

1. Andrew Jones 2

I like the suggestion of going into a store and making all the Furbies start talking about building a wall.....

1. Adam 1

You could make me pay for that.

2. S4qFBxkFFg

For some reason I'm reminded of the racist tomatoes from Monkey Dust:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBKq32Fuubo

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

As if Furbies were not creepy enough already... I must admit I like the idea about the mass Rickrolling, though.

1. agurney

.. or Furbies randomly shouting out "Alexa, buy me a Furby" "Alexa, wake me up at 03:00"

3. Voland's right hand Silver badge
    Pirate

Chucky wants to plaaaaaaay

Furbie, sorry Chucky wants to plaaaaay

4. MrDamage Silver badge

Instead of rickrolling

May I suggest getting them to quote Sovereign from Mass Effect?

"Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh, you touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding."

"Your words are as empty as your future. I am the vanguard of your destruction."

"We impose order on the chaos of organic evolution. You exist because we allow it, and will end because we demand it."

5. Adam 1

> Furby Connect World app doesn't bother with niceties like HTTPS for its startup connection

Wow. Even tech news comment sites do that these days!

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

https://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Thumb Down

"with a suitable proxy"

Yes, because 99% of Furby buyers will obviously have the suitable proxy already waiting and configured . . .

1. MiguelC Silver badge

Re: "with a suitable proxy"

I think you got it wrong; the suitable proxy is used to bypass encryption between the AWS server and the doll so as to download whatever you want into it, not to protect from hackers!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Toys-R-Us - Search on entry

Should we now presume that entry to a Toy-R-Us et al store will now be subject to full body strip and search, with signs on the doors stating that Routeurs, Proxies of any kind, Portable Phones, Portable Computers etc are now forbidden from entering this "Think of the Children" area...

I can also imagine the geek that programs one of these things to wake up in the middle of the night, making it emit a screaming, screeching or sublimal message to do some nasty, nasty act.... to parents, siblings, animals or whatever other breathing thing abides in the same home. The lawyers would have a field day....

I did like the hack though, from a hackers point of view, even though the perversions that it could cite might be a little overboard...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Or for those of a certain era....

"Little pigs, little pigs, Jerzy wants to play with you."

1. Scott 26

Re: Or for those of a certain era....

Jerzy wants to finger your entrails.......

have an upvote for the TYO reference.

9. BinkyTheMagicPaperclip Silver badge

Mass rickrolling, but with a five minute delay

Glorious, and oh so tempting.

I'm guessing it's not possible to play the Imperial March and get the Furbies walking in step..

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There's a new Smyths Toys down the road.

....musssst resisssst

11. djack
    Black Helicopters

Spy Furby

Wasn't there some hysteria years ago that furbys might record voice and could be used as a spy device? This got them totally barred from many establishments even though the recording and playback was pretty much uncontrollable.

If you can change it's programming then this one could definitely be used in that way.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Spy Furby

Yes, but equally you could use masses of them to provide a great torrent source :) Many toys can have "extras" stored in their chippery.

Must say I quite like the idea of a Furby marching round the house, swearing at the cats then going out to smoke (at least in someone else's house)

Anyone that's seen the movie Small Soldiers will also have a number of amusing scenarios of home wrecking come to mind.

12. Anonymous C0ward

Just make it yell "CUNT" at random-ish intervals months apart.

1. Long John Brass
      Trollface

missed opportunity

No no no, Get it to teach the kiddies all the bad words.

Mommy: Jimmy where DID you hear that word?

Jimmy: Furby told me

Mommy: Don't tell fib Johnny, tell me where you heard that word

Furby: Tell her <insert victim here> told me

Furby; Teaching kids to swear like sailors since 2017

13. FozzyBear
    Thumb Up

Friggin awesome

I will from now on, instead of the standard playmobile reconstruction, request a furby hack. Need a new icon now too.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge
      Terminator

Re: Friggin awesome

A new ROTM perhaps?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon