back to article The rise, fall, and rise (again) of Microsoft's killer People feature

Microsoft has removed the much-anticipated "People Experience" from current beta builds of Windows 10, and will release it later this year instead of this spring. News of the postponement accompanied the latest bleeding edge code drop, build 15014, which appeared yesterday. Released into the "Fast Ring" of the Windows Insider …

1. ArrZarr Silver badge

Talking to people at the computer

If there's one thing I'm not interested while on the computer, it's talking to other people. Keep this crap out of the OS and keep it in Skype or whatever so that it will turn off when I tell it to. </rant>

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Talking to people at the computer

That is a fair point, but unfortunately Windows now seems to be aimed at those who are more used to a tablet or phone UI and who's main use for a computer of any sort is for "Social Media".

For most, Win10 seems to be little more than an extension of their phone. Perhaps Microsoft have come to the conclusion that for business use, people are more and more switching to linux and everyone else just wants to use their pc as an extension of Facebook so are heading that way.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>That is a fair point, but unfortunately Windows now seems to be aimed at those who are more used to a tablet or phone UI and who's main use for a computer of any sort is for "Social Media".

In many disciplines, from engineering to admin there is a need for collaboration with others, by phone, email, shared storage, text, document control, whatever. It isn't just 'Social Media' as you put it. Really, there are a great many jobs cannot be done by just one person. Even jobs that are largely done solo require an initial brief and meeting with a client, regular updates, submission of the work, billing and perhaps some after sales communication.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Dave 126

What does that have to do with a UI that looks like it was designed for 12year olds to make it easier for them to chat with their BFFs?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>What does that have to do with a UI that looks like it was designed for 12year olds to make it easier for them to chat with their BFFs?

Collating communications by contact as opposed to application. If you look at my post, you'll see that whilst I acknowledged that some people work alone, I also observed that some many people's job involve a lot of communicating with other people. It really isn't hard to see that in some circumstances a chronological list of past messages - regardless of whether they done by phone, email, text or document update - would be useful.

The OP, on the other hand, said that because it didn't suit that way he worked then the feature should be removed - he expressed his problem as being the with the concept itself, not the appearance of the implementation.

Hope that's clearer for you, AC.

1. a_yank_lurker

@Dave 126 - The problem with many contact management apps and applications is they do not really address the work flow through an organization and its various groups. What might work well with the sales team might be a total disaster for the project management team or the programming team. This is because or the very different work flows within each group and the nature of the work each group does. In my group we never talk to an outside customer and irregularly talk to our internal customers.

1. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

"apps and applications"

These are two different things?

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"Hope that's clearer for you, AC." - Clearer, but that doesn't make what you particularly valid.

And of course, none of this has ever been possible before the advent of Win10...

2. Dabooka

Of course you could just not use it?

1. hplasm
        Facepalm

Re: Of course you could just not use it?

Wow, what a massive house you have!

Yeah, but most of the rooms are full of people I don't know and stuff that isn't mine and I don't want, but I can't shift, so I don't use most of it...

2. AMBxx Silver badge

Some people (like me) have jobs at a computer that involve interacting with people too!

I like this CRM-lite approach to contacts.

Now can I just have InfoCentral back?

1. PTW
          Pint

Wish I could up vote you more for reminding me of InfoCentral!

Have one of these on me ---->

3. Dave 126 Silver badge

>If there's one thing I'm not interested while on the computer, it's talking to other people. Keep this crap out of the OS and keep it in Skype or whatever so that it will turn off when I tell it to

Many people do have a workflow that involves communicating with others (especially those people who use Windows and Office etc), from the brief through to final invoice, so having information and documents summoned by a contact is not an unreasonable idea. If your way of working is more solitary, that's fine - but I believe the article addressed why such integration won't work as a standalone application.

1. Robert Forsyth

I really love those emails with instructions to open the (Word) attachment, so I can read a paragraph of text - in a nice font.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>keep it in Skype or whatever

Bundled version of Skype is well borked in Windows 10, many it find it never connects even on home networks - you have to resort to the web client or install the old version. It's such a common fault with clients (easily 1 in 5) we no longer use it other than at their suggestion. 18 months ago it was defacto and used in 80/90% of (online) meetings.

1. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

I stopped using Skype gradually, but never, ever used it after MS bought it.

Just pleased to hear they f*cked this one up too. Can't be long now...

5. Mark 85

I would suspect that this also will give them more "telemetry" for targeting ads.... both to you and to your contacts.

6. Captain DaFt

"Keep this crap out of the OS and keep it in Skype or whatever so that it will turn off when I tell it to. </rant>"

Hear hear! Send me a message on IRC* if you want to communicate.

Text keeps communication (relatively) succinct and to the point, unlike voice, where once someone starts talking, they forget how to stop!

* Yes, I'm that guy.

7. largefile

Sounds to me like you don't really understand what the feature is/was all about. With one basic OS on both your phone and computer, along with an aggregation of contact information from every social source you may have friends in....it was all there and pretty damn slick. I'll welcome it back when/if it gets reintroduced.

2. monty75

People Killer

Read that as People Killer and thought Microsoft had finally released something I could use.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge
      Terminator

Re: People Killer

Seems you forgot to add an icon to your post, Monty!

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: People Killer

I read it as killer people - they were sending out death squads to visit Windows refuseniks.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows Phone ?

Wasn't that something that used to be around, like a Blackberry ?

4. Martin 47

It was an excellent feature on the windows phone however, how much of that was because it was on a phone? Quite a lot I suspect.

When will Microsoft realise that people use different tools for different jobs?

For most users a phone is for keeping in touch with people a PC is for work.

1. Can't think of anything witty...

it was (and still is) an excellent feature on the phone, but i can see how it would work well on a PC too - for example, use it to collate all the contact from a colleague across email, IM, skype etc...

Also, as this will also roll out to phones as well, lets hope it makes it back there too...

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

That doesn't make any sense though

At work, I am interested in conversations on a subject. Never conversations with a specific individual.

I'll have many conversations on the same subject with several different people. Often groups, not always the same groups.

I'll also talk to the same person about several different subjects.

Over in Sales they are usually more interested in people than subjects, however they also talk to hundreds of people - that is not going to fit in the taskbar!

5. 0laf

[sigh]

I had call to switch on my old Nokia Lumia 920 the other day to possibly give my mother as a spare phone. That WinPho User Interface was/is bloody brilliant. I was in seconds able to resize the icons from my old multitude to 3 large buttons of the few things she would use.

The phone was too heavy though.

I've an iPhone now, the UI sucks although the compatibility and app range is excellent. The opposite of WinPho.

1. Candy

Re: [sigh]

"UI sucks although the compatibility and app range is excellent."

Exactly my experience transitioning from WinPho to Android.

2. Zippy's Sausage Factory
      Windows

"UI sucks" - exactly most people's experience with moving to Windows 10 from, well, almost anything really.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"exactly most people's experience with moving to Windows 10 from, well, almost anything really."

Thank you. It boggles my tiny mind when the "cool kids" rant about how the brand and tech leader sucks so much, yet that's what they have in their pocket. Strange times. Everyone copies the IOS UI because it leads the pack. Show me one UI that eclipses it in any way? There aren't any because I've already seen them all. That was a rhetorical question, you see.

"This thing sucks!" *buys 100 of them* -- idiots

True, I strongly disloke the iOS interfaces. It makes for a good poster but a poor UX - and it gets worse as the screen size increases.

Android is much better, but it's still got some annoying things. My main one is that it's too easy to rearrange things on the Home screen - I really would like a lock-items function.

The other Android annoyance being that carriers can change it. That is one thing Apple got right.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: [sigh] @Richaard 12

Then can I suggest you install a different home screen app on your Android phone. Lots to choose from, many of high quality and usability...

Re: [sigh] @Richaard 12

And that would be why Android will always be superior.

That said, it is also a minor problem because I have no idea how to find a good Home screen app.

6. Adair Silver badge

If this could be...

developed into something efficient and sensible, so that Outlook could finally be taken out the back and shot, I would be eternally* grateful.

* where "eternally"="employed_hours"

1. Zippy's Sausage Factory

Re: If this could be...

Yes please.

Is it just me or have they made a concerted effort to make Office 2016 more cluttered, less usable and far, far, far more buggy than usual?

7. Sporkinum

Same as it ever was

Excellent bit 'o snark..

" So it pulled the People feature into a standalone app, and invited services to write to a new API. Nobody did, and so the People app became a neglected shadow of its former self.

Without really trying to, Microsoft had just snuffed out Windows Phone's "killer feature". But last October, Microsoft announced that platform-level contact integration would return to Windows via a "universal contacts database". There would be a new API and Microsoft invited developers including social media services to write to it."

Same as it ever was

8. Steve Knox
    WTF?

So how is this going to actually work this time?

Developers who take advantage of the People API in Windows 10 get the opportunity of a huge promotional boost, as Microsoft will promote People-compatible Store apps in the contact cards themselves.

Which is only a benefit to developers who haven't got a huge customer base to begin with. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, et al. won't care about this "promotional boost" because they don't need it. In fact, So why should they invest in using People API?

And without the big guys on board, people won't find People useful enough to use it.

It's the same issue that killed People last time, and Microsoft doesn't appear to have solved it.

9. marekt77

That feature was removed from Windows Phone due to Facebook and others I believe being not happy with it. It was brilliant, because at the author pointed out, I could go to a contact and see all of their social updates, and respond to them right from that place. At the time, I almost NEVER used the actual Facebook/Twitter app. See the problem with this? If I don't use the App, I don't see any of the ads or sponsored content. FB does not make money. So this had to go. :(

1. TotallyInfo

"At the time, I almost NEVER used the actual Facebook/Twitter app. See the problem with this? If I don't use the App, I don't see any of the ads or sponsored content. FB does not make money. So this had to go. :("

Ads? What are those? Does FB actually have ads on the web interface - how quaint! I Never see them of course, why take the risk.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who wants an OS where a "store" pokes you incessantly?

Frankly, I don't really want one. Ok for a store where I could go myself to look for something I need - but if I start to see ads continuously while I'm trying to perform a task I become really irritated...

And it really reminds me Idiocracy when the guy looks at a TV (while sitting on a WC IIRC), and the TV is full of ads around what he's watching.

Thank you, MS, for quickly leading us there. Hope someone will deliver a "StoreBlock" application.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Who wants an OS where a "store" pokes you incessantly?

Well said!

This is precisely the wrong way to go with this type of interactivity. I can't imagine how irritated (or irradiated) I would be if my contact app started suggesting things to me, like; what my contact's favorite apps are, or where they are, or anything other than the basic info and maybe the last email/chat/text. Maybe a post from a service of import, but never their high scores or other non-essential stuff. I get that marketing creeps like to force-feed the unwashed masses. What good does this do? None. It must be useful, and relevant, and almost like it were not there until I need it. How hard is that?

11. Dinsdale247

Only thing better than BB Hub

The people feature/feed aggregation in Windows 7.5 was the only thing that I have used that was better than BB Hub to organize communications with people. It fell apart in Windows phone 8. I loved Windows Phone. RIP Windows Phone, RIP. <sob sob> :(

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Re: Only thing better than BB Hub

I too love my Winphone. And am not in any rush to switch. More to the point, there isn't anything to switch to.

iOS. Far more expensive than it's worth.

Android??? Why no commentard howling about the way Google examines and stores every last byte of data they can even sniff?

That being said, long since ceased being a Microsoft fan;

"What then followed is a classic and all-too-familiar Redmond tale."

Microsoft's uncanny ability to work out what the users most value and then replace it with something they'll hate.

1. nijam Silver badge

Re: Only thing better than BB Hub

> Why no commentard howling about the way Google examines and stores every last byte of data they can even sniff?

I expect it's because they all know Microsoft does exactly the same.

12. Brett Weaver
    IT Angle

Range of comments..

The range of comments on here highlight an issue in the audience. When The Register started, you could expect that the audience could all write a program or complex script and had technical knowledge. Now people who work *with* computers like Project Managers and Service Desk types have become involved.

Attitudes to the products being discussed are going to be different because the worlds they are existing in are different

13. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

It's all academic anyway.

Windows 10 can't be trusted any longer.

Heck, MS as a whole can't be trusted any longer. I dare not update my Windows 7 HTPC because I'm worried MS will sneak in Windows 10 and bork it forever. Security hole? Probably. Thanks to MS.

What effing plonkers.

14. John Sanders
    Holmes

PC Companies do not want to get it.

People know what a computer is, how it and looks like, and how it behaves, stop trying to find innovative ways to mess it up, no one appreciates it any more.

But they will not listen would they?

15. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge
    Stop

"Microsoft will promote People-compatible Store apps in the contact cards themselves"

And that's not going to cause problems in the hands of a skiddie or other malicious person[1] eh? I'm sure that nothing could go wrong with it.

Especially nothing like writing and uploading a store app that has a trojan/worm built in (after all, Windows has so many ways to be exploited) and then embedding that in a fake contact card for someone popular..

[1] Corporations are people too! Or at least they are in backward plutocracies or corpocracies..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like