back to article Operator of DDoS protection service named as Mirai author

The author of the massive distributed denial-of-service attack malware Mirai, which ropes infected routers and internet of things devices into remotely controlled armies, is a New Jersey man, according to journo Brian Krebs. On his website this week, Krebs names a chap called Paras Jha, owner of a distributed denial-of-service …

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Remember the good old days, where you were a tinfoil hatter if you thought anti-malware companies were writing malware?

I mean, maybe they were, maybe they weren't, but there was a certain level of trust that was normalized that I miss. Nowadays for every awful conspiracy theory you can come up with, it seems like it's only a matter of ti-

1. Nick Kew

Aren't you still a tinfoil hatter if you question the Party Line? Especially when that points to a Big Bad Bogeyman like Vlad the Imputer.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Doesn't everything point to Vlad? On the adios speech at UN, the long-suffering Samantha Power was saying that Vald was out to mess up the world the US curated. So I guess Vlad must have transferred money to Anna Senpai via Russian pension funds paid out in the US, we shall find something.

2. Wade Burchette
      Black Helicopters

I find myself enthralled with https://www.reddit.com/r/StallmanWasRight/ more and more. Remember: it is not a conspiracy if they really are out to get you.

1. Mark 85

In IT we're not paranoid, we're pronoid. Or at least we should be.

2. BugabooSue
    Devil

If this turns out to be independently verified, Jha is going to have a Really Bad Day.

I hope!

1. cantankerous swineherd

in prison with luck.

3. bin

Mirai is one of the worst DDoS botnets ever to grace the internet and is fingered for fingered for downing large chunks of the internet, including record-breaking attacks on Krebs' own site.

"So good they fingered it twice"

4. cmannett85

It's well worth reading Krebs' (very lengthy) blog post on how he came to his conclusion.

5. boardbonobo

After reading Krebs blog post, which makes for some pretty interesting stuff in itself, I'm left wondering if Krebs's own thirst for revenege may have tinted his overview a little. Some of the conclusions he reaches are a little tenuous and the evidence is pretty ropey and circumstantial in places.

But having said that he does make a compelling argument and one which it is hard to resist wanting it to be true!

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Whoever the culprits are

They deserve having their life DDOSed in punishment.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not the first

Not the first time I've heard of a DDoS protection company creating a DDoS botnet. Maybe all do.

8. Phil Koenig

False Flag??

The bot master could also be framing the anti-DDoS company to take down a company that undermines their attack effectiveness.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: False Flag??

But wouldn't that mean it wasn't a very effective anti-DDOS company to begin with?

9. Crazy Operations Guy

"That sure is a nice web site ya got there..."

"...be a shame is something where to happen to it."

Seems that the mafia is alive and well in New Jersey and adapting to 21st century technologies.

10. razorfishsl

what sort of moron has matched skills on linkedin & Hackforums........

What sort of a hacker even uses linkedin?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like