back to article Red Hat's OpenShift Container Platform openly shifts storage into the hands of devs

Enterprise Linux biz Red Hat has revised its OpenShift Container Platform to include support for dynamic storage provisioning in local and remote applications. The software is an on-premises platform-as-a-service product that allows organizations to run applications using Kubernetes orchestration and Docker containers. The …

1. Retired-Old-Fart
    WTF?

You have got to be kidding me!!

2 things come to mind here.

1. "In a statement, Ashesh Badani, VP and general manager of OpenShift at Red Hat, said the update addresses "the growing storage needs of both stateful and stateless applications across the hybrid cloud, allowing for coexistence of modern and future-forward workloads on a single, enterprise-ready platform."

WTF how about speaking good English, like what I do??

2. Who will take the blame when cock-ups occur and the systems start falling apart, oh yes, the sysadmin.

I am so glad I am retired and don't have to deal with this shit anymore.

2. Nate Amsden

no mention of chargeback?

How can anyone allow self provision without constraints or at least charge back for budgeting?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: no mention of chargeback?

There's probably a separate license for adding a charge-back reporting framework, unless you roll your own. As for as self-provisioning goes, we're still not there yet. You can't do manual/automated "self-provisioning" if you cannot separate your developer/customer buying "a box and some disks" with "buying some compute and storage." You also can't do it if you have lots of human-centric processes wrapped around resources like IP addresses, host assignment, and storage. Plus, you have to wrap up the automation and the constraints to keep your devs from requesting 10PB for a new VM OS partition, or other nonsense requests. Self-service provision can work, but you can't make it work in a traditional IT shop, and lots of shops still are.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

.. ooh to get to that point

They need to work on getting the development kit usable. 2-3 days to get it working on a corporate laptop is such a waste of time. Can see many giving up before they complete it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like