back to article Balancing miners borks blockchains, say boffins

The financial sector's enthusiasm for blockchain technology might be misplaced, according to a pair of Australian distributed computing experts. The problem: if everyone in a consortium trusts each other, they don't need blockchains to protect themselves; if they don't, current blockchain protocols have a flaw that allows a …

1. Sitaram Chamarty
    FAIL

stopped reading at first line of abstract

this is against POW systems only.

I am yet to see any "enterprise" or "banking/financial" blockchains proposing to use POW.

As such, the first line of the El Reg article, ("The financial sector's enthusiasm for blockchain technology might be misplaced, according to a pair of Australian distributed computing experts") is total bollocks.

Blockchain has value. POW does not. And I probably will never understand why academics continue to focus on POW when industry does not (AFAICT) care.

1. hayzoos
      Facepalm

Re: stopped reading at first line of abstract

I cannot see why you had a downvote. I read the article waiting for the relevant application of the attack. I had the same thoughts, POW systems (aka mining) are for digital currency using blockchains. Blockchains are useful for so much more than digital currency and does not require POW mining.

Then I thought maybe some think banks are considering using blockchains for "digitizing" currency. That could be an explanation for the downvote.

2. Mage Silver badge

Also issue is speed

How fast can the blockchain be processed with 700, 7000, 70,000 transactions at once?

I think it doesn't scale and is worse than linear.

3. The Nazz

And in this day and age ...

good luck with finding 50 banks that are entirely trustworthy.

Recent experiences show anything but.

Aside from problems of scalability.

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: And in this day and age ...

Good luck finding two in the same country ...

2. Steve the Cynic

Re: And in this day and age ...

Actually, the problem isn't quite what that sounds like. It isn't about whether *we* can trust *them* (although that is obviously an issue), but whether they think *they* can trust *each other*. (And the LIBOR scandals show that that *is* an issue, of course. As does this paper.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like