back to article Nadella calls for AI sector to move beyond 'worshipping' a handful of companies

The tech sector is currently "worshipping" a handful of artificial intelligence companies, but is yet to show how it will make the technology accessible to and useful for its human end users, Microsoft head Satya Nadella has said. Speaking at the DLD technology conference in Munich, he said: "The way at least I have defined AI …

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Will nobody rid me of this turbulent priest?

See title.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

every human computer interaction is AI-powered.

and what he isn't saying is

and all those interactions will go through our servers and be use to data mine your activities so that our Partners (Advertisers, FBI, NSA etc) and follow your every move with their AI systems just in case you are planning an illegal act or thinking of buying something.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: every human computer interaction is AI-powered.

"and what he isn't saying is"

add to that...

"ONLY use OUR tools that ONLY work in Win-10-nic and leverage everything in our favor"

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Really??

This AI nonsense is really about replacing humans in Production jobs, in order to cut costs, lay people off, and make managers look better at their jobs than they really are.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Really??

Not really.

2. Gray
      Facepalm

Re: Really??

Nadella called for AI that helps build on human capability and creates more trust in technology from a security and privacy point of view

More trust? Security? Privacy? RUN! ... do not look back, do not stop to save anything... just shutter the ol' homestead, load the blunderbuss, and head for the hills! Nadella seeks to unleash the Flying Monkeys!

4. Mage Silver badge
    Devil

AI

Maybe the reality is that "real" AI doesn't exist. What we have are nicer interfaces to 30 year old "Expert System" type programs using larger datasets (mostly human curated), often designed to exploit consumers by capturing our choices and behaviour.

Android on Phones, Tablets and most evil Android voice controlled TVs you can't even tune/install without agreeing to Google's coercive contract.

Amazon Echo.

MS Cortana

Apple Siri

AI isn't needed actually for voice control, and it's an unsafe and unreliable method of control.

Exactly what examples are there of real AI and how do it/they benefit humanity compared to clean drinking water, pollution free energy, proper toilets (I use my bathroom to wash), food not full of added water (ham, bacon), added sweetener (real or artificial), added fat and added salt.

Well, this is the guy that runs MS, and they have totally lost the plot anyway.

IBM: Don't look behind the curtain to see how Watson really works.

AI is an interesting goal. However after many years of study I'm more in doubt as to why we need it. Do we need to make silicon based gods in our own image and give up our free will to them? Is it indeed even possible? We don't understand Corvid or Chicken intelligence much less Human, so how can we create a program today to simulate it?

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: AI

Good point.

There is no spoon AI.

(Yet?)

5. getHandle

AI? I'd settle for for an OS that just worked...

Windows 10 laptop spontaneously decided that while it could still see my wifi, it wouldn't do dhcp. Fiddled with settings, uninstalled/reinstalled driver, rebooted numerous times. Then it suddenly did ask for an ip address and connected.

None of the various "would you like windows to try and find a solution to this problem" options did a damn thing. Fortunately all the other boxes in the house are linux-based. Not without their problems but nothing so bloody-mindedly, stubbornly intractable as the win 10 POS.

I'd get rid but the other half needs it for work...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: AI? I'd settle for for an OS that just worked...

Nutella's quote was misunderstood by the press.

When he said "yet to show how it will make the technology accessible to and useful for its human end users", he was referring to Microsoft and Windows 10.

1. Mark 85

@Ledswinger -- Re: AI? I'd settle for for an OS that just worked...

There's another quote that was misspoken... He added: "In the next phase, to me, [is] how can we democratise this access, versus worshipping the four, five, six companies that have a lot of AI.

I believe it was supposed to be: He added: "In the next phase, to me, [is] how can we democratize monetize this access, versus worshipping the four, five, six companies that have a lot of AI.

I'm hoping all this hype about AI just falls into the marketing toilet of "dead buzzwords". Until a machine can actually think about it's actions and have some ability to create/invent things, it's not intelligent. As my mentor pointed out to me decades ago... "A computer is only as smart as the person who programmed it. It can't change what does anymore than a tree can get up and walk to another forest."

1. nijam Silver badge

Re: @Ledswinger -- AI? I'd settle for for an OS that just worked...

I think AI has somehow transcended the "dead buzzword" phase and has uncomfortably become a zombie buzzword instead. It's certainly been lurching aimlessly and incompetently around the industry for the past 40 years.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well I would NEVER settle for Windows (10 or any other) on my Laptop.

You are, of course, right. Since I moved to Linux in 2008 I have had far more control over the processes that run on my laptop. I don't have to put up with shit I don't want, but have to have because the cunts that put it on have used secret or hidden tricks to make sure their crap never goes away, even if I say I don't want it.

Similarly with my phone. I have CyanogenMod on there. I don't sign up to Google Play (they want to know my phone number -- why?) so I avoid all the spyware you get via the advertising apps they push out.

Simples.

1. Adrian 4

"I don't have to put up with shit I don't want, but have to have because the cunts that put it on have used secret or hidden tricks to make sure their crap never goes away, even if I say I don't want it."

I used to think that, but then there was systemd.

3. nijam Silver badge

> ...but the other half needs it for work...

They really don't, you know.

Plus, if it's a work-supplied laptop, BTW, the correct solution is to call the office IT helpdesk, not get you to hack around with it. Just saying.

6. Kernel

Ok .........................

".................. creates more trust in technology from a security and privacy point of view,"

That'll be a mass uninstall of Windows 10, then.

7. JLV

Ooooh. Pick me! Pick me!

Nuff said.

8. Captain DaFt

"Nadella calls for AI sector to move beyond 'worshipping' a handful of companies"

"Hey guys! WE can do it too, honest! So quit following the industry leaders and follow us! We'll have something almost working any day now, scout's honor!"

When did Nadella suffer a blow to the head and started thinking he was Ballmer?

1. HmmmYes

About 20 years ago I was at an industry presentation where Ballmer was spouting some crap about NT.

It was a specific sector, so someone put their hand up and asked when a specific protocol was to be supported. Ballmer assured us that MS were working on it and a release was imminent.

20 years down the line and still no sign. I did ask someone I knew in MS. He said they had looked at it but backed away as they did not have the skills. And thats when MS managed to recruit people.

2. SVV

Well, that's all true, but what he really meant wad "Stop worshipping these heathen gods and return to worshipping the One True God - Microsoft! Microsoft! Microsoft!

I'll be intrigued to see how the AI driven command line works. Because that's a way of interacing with compouters too. Maybe it'll chide you for sloppy coding, or suggest that you also go and buy something from the Microsoft store when it runs.

9. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"how can we democratise this access, versus worshipping the four, five, six companies that have a lot of AI"

Translation: "How can we get a monopoly on it"

10. HmmmYes

Its like watching a 55 years old divorcee trying to pull 20 year old women at the local night club.

He babe. Dig the crazy Cliff Richards sounds.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes, instead he should be hanging around outside Evans or SimplyBe with a big bag of donuts.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Coat

I do this regularly, I also try to hipfully use SnapChat but am not really managing.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like