back to article London Ambulance IT system hit by three outages in last year

The IT system responsible for dispatching ambulances across London has been hit by three outages in the last year, it has emerged. CommandPoint is responsible for ensuring ambulances reach their destination within eight minutes of a call for high-priority emergencies such as cardiac arrests. But that system went down for five …

1. TRT Silver badge

I think I've found the fault...

CommandPoint is a .NET-based piece of kit running on Windows Server and Unix-powered machines.

2. lglethal Silver badge
    FAIL

Not a helpful response from CommandPoint

Saying just "3 Outages per year" tells us nothing.

If the other outages were for say 1 minute, then you could conclude the System was working well, prior to the NYE TITSUP (Total Inability to Support Usual Performance).

However, if the outages were each 5 hours long, then the System is obviously not up to scratch.

3. Hans 1
    Meh

1. Ambulance services saved 100 000 people in one year, sadly, one death was due to a bug in the software that contributed to save those 100 000 people.

2. Why .Net, why Northrop Grumman ? Could we not have done it with say, c++ on Linux or, better, FreeBSD ? Less of a head ache when comes time to install updates.... updates for IE/Edge/notepad.exe/mspaint.exe etc each need a separate reboot ...

4. lukewarmdog
    Facepalm

Pen and paper?

"forcing the service's control room to log all emergency calls by pen and paper."

Surely a few mobile phones with a sharing app on them would be a million times better as a solution?

If you had to Facebook an ambulance driver to get to a cardiac arrest victim pronto it would be infinitely better than this. This isn't a cafe, they're not taking your order. How is it acceptable that your backup to computer failure is find a pen, fill in a form.. Mind boggles.

1. Lee D Silver badge

Re: Pen and paper?

Data protection of medical details, reports of abuse, etc. are much stricter than anything that would allow that.

Hell, my school nurses have always complained that I (as database manager) have access to the pupil medical database. The data controller always okays it because it's "necessary for my job", but they hate anyone see medical information, even in passing.

2. Dr Who

Re: Pen and paper?

Eh??

I don't think they were writing the call details on a piece of paper and then having a bloke on a bike deliver it to the ambulance. I think that in the absence of their job recording and routing system, they had to do that bit on paper, and then look at a map, possibly even one hanging on the wall, and contact the nearest ambulance by phone, text, radio or whatever to assign the job.

To me this sounds like a very acceptable fallback. And, as an emergency measure, it appears to have worked.

Still, with the money that's been thrown at that system, a five hour outage is pretty unacceptable. 99.30% uptime on a monthly basis.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmm?

Let's hope this wasn't due to a shoddy outsourced sys admin from overseas.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmmm?

As opposed to a shoddy outsourced local sys admin? What about a shoddy non-outsourced local sys admin? Or a shoddy non-outsourced sys admin who happened to be abroad?

6. Your alien overlord - fear me

Exactly how many people died when the service was working? More than one?

7. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

history repeating itself

When you read up about LAS history of command & control systems, they've faired pretty badly over the years... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Ambulance_Service#Computerisation

8. tr1ck5t3r
    Trollface

I wonder when people will start suing the Govt for the sanctions imposed on Russia, that's led to all this Russian aggression, afterall Russian code was found at a US utility company over Xmas?

If they can hacked America, they can hack anyone including lil'o blighty.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38479179

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Mushroom

Sooo.... your response to being threatened by a bully is to roll over and let them beat you up and take your friends lunch money?

The sanctions were imposed AFTER Russia annexed Crimea and invaded, oh sorry, sent volunteers (with heavy weapons and tanks) to support the "separatists" in eastern Ukraine.

I hate to think which "small" nation bordering Russia would be next on the list if everyone just rolled over and let them get away with attacking whoever they wanted - Poland probably.

1. tr1ck5t3r

Is this Ukraine conflict like the one, where Victoria Nuland says "F*** the EU" when the US orchestrated the coo, and Vice President Joe Biden's son Hunter now heads up one Ukraine's major oil companies? Or like the coo orchestrated in Turkey where the bridges over the Bosphorus Strait were commandeered as this then controlled access to the Russian Black Sea Fleet, which could have prevented Russia from getting the likes of the aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznetsov down to Syria protecting their interests & Syria's regarding a certain pipeline from reaching the EU?

And all because the Ukrainians were stealing gas from the Russian pipeline into EU which forced Russia to turn off the Gas. The fact Germany has now built a gas terminal port to take in Russian gas seems to be missed on you as well. Sure go for fuel security especially as the sun is expected to go into a Grand Solar minimum by 2020-2022 (read Professor Fagan's book The Little Ice Age: How Climate Made History 1300-1850 to get an understanding of the implications of what a Grand Solar Minimum will mean for this planet), the likes of which has not been seen for 500 years well before anything resembling any Met office ever existed.

Is it right to bomb the hell out innocent people creating terrorists which go rogue and bring it to your doorstep?

Be careful what you wish for, in this complicated game of politics and warmongering. The world has become a more dangerous place over the last few decades since the US become Globocop.

Extremism is the result of extreme US foreign policy.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>>s the sun is expected to go into a Grand Solar minimum by 2020-2022 (read Professor Fagan's book The Little Ice Age: How Climate Made History 1300-1850 to get an understanding of the implications of what a Grand Solar Minimum will mean for this planet),

I don't need to read it to realise that you're a loon.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

Wir schaffen das

Don't worry. Germany will protect Poland against any hostile invasions.

9. EnviableOne

providing the other two outages were short (less than 3.76hrs) its still three 9s uptime

10. Stevie

Bah!

Check the EULA. I bet it specifically says that the system s not guaranteed to enable the dispatching of ambulances in the case of a medical emergency.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like