back to article Microsoft swallows up AI language biz Maluuba

Microsoft reckons it can advance its efforts in conversational AI by today acquiring Maluuba – a Canadian machine-learning startup trying to “solve artificial general intelligence” through language. The financial details of the deal remain undisclosed. Founded in 2011 by CEO Sam Pasupalak and CTO Kaheer Suleman, who were …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Terminator

Maluuba demonstrated deep learning algorithms

"Maluuba .. showed its deep learning algorithms could answer simple questions from small chunks of text:"

It would be more impressive if the algorithm constructed its own answers. From that demo, the algorithm is selecting from multiple-answers supplied by the questioner.

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: Maluuba demonstrated deep learning algorithms

I saw a video about AI. There are two approaches - treating AI as a solution to an engineering problem or trying to mimic human intelligence. The first approach leads to "intelligent" robotics that are very capable for a narrow range of problems. The second has problems with what exactly is intelligence and how to model it.

2. Captain DaFt

Cynicism... rising

'literate machines that can think, reason and communicate like humans'

After perusing the news while in a bad mood, I've come to the conclusion that that is AS*, not AI.

Computers are built on logic and concise communication , let'em use it.

*Artificial Stupidity

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cynicism... rising

Having seen some humans on twitter etc, I think their mission needs to modified to be

"...think, reason and communicate like polite rational humans"

3. Paratrooping Parrot
    Joke

Microsoft and AI

Considering how badly Microsoft software crashes, e.g. Blue Screen of Death, I have a feeling that Microsoft based robots will for no reason suddenly fall over crashing everywhere.

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Being bought by Microsoft isn't always the route to success. Even if EEE wasn't the intent there's also the Nokia fate.

5. Dwarf
    Joke

Rebranding

Will Cortana now be re-branded to have a surname

Cortana Maluuba ??

6. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    FAIL

Wouldn't most of us settle for Windows actually helping you do things rather than allowing you?

I watched the 1968 video done by the guy who invented the mouse.

5 decades on with 3000x more instruction processing 2000x more memory and and Windows is nowhere near that functionality.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: Wouldn't most of us settle for Windows actually helping you do things rather than allowing you?

In other words 'Clippy 2017'.

Do we want MS 'helping us' even more?

By 'we' I mean the experts who read and post here.

Personally, I think MS has been getting in the way far too much for far too long.

All these moves by Satbad seem to point towards the 2001 model 'I'm sorry Dave I can't allow you to do that' but with the extra

"but for an extra $100 per year I can unlock the features that will allow you to do that once a day".

MS becoming more irrelvant to the IT world every day.

Is Satnad the new Nero?

7. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Stop the Presses. Here be Hot Stuff Zero Nonsense with its EMPowering Beauty lies in your Disbelief

The world as you may know it, and as it is presented to you by mass multi media moguls and IT systems, is already fundamentally and radically changed and still changing, for change allows perfect enough security, by that and those communicating as if machines, with humans observing and commenting on the results in their stupendously simple spectator role.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

MSFT playing catch-up

Isn't Linux Mint already self-aware?

9. Justthefacts Silver badge

Is that really the best that they can do?

I'm genuinely surprised this deep learning is so weak. Perhaps they aren't really that bleeding edge -

Firstly, it's fairly easy to select between four given answers. The underlying signal-to-noise feeding into the Bayesian probabilities can be terrible and still give the correct answer.

Secondly - it's easy to answer "what did Ron do", because the text contains the explicit answer if not in the correct word order.

A proper test would be "who did Ron sit next to, and what did he sit next to." Then it needs to understand concepts of location, that collapsed is sort of a synonym for sit, and the difference between people and things.

1. P. Lee

Re: Is that really the best that they can do?

A.I.

Is great for a canned demo and marketing.

Is not the ship's computer from Star Trek.

10. zen1

And they expect it to run on Windows?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like