back to article UKCloud: We ARE cheaper than Microsoft or AWS online storage

British-based infrastructure services-slinger UKCloud says it is “fighting back” against the giants of industry by slashing the price of online storage. Customers looking for cheap online storage with data volumes above 1,000 TB will pay 1.46 pence per GB per month, down 66 per cent, and importantly there are no additional …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just curious how many data centres do they have and what kind of geo redundancy?

1. JonW
      Thumb Up

As a customer...

More than enough, thanks.

2. bradioactive

two UK datacentres, 60 miles apart in Farnborough and Corsham. both 'behind the wire' on secure sites with fibre between the two.

3. kosh

They have two but their standard product doesn't actually do any cross-site replication. For that, you pay extra (!).

There's no triple-site replication like S3, and there is no durability SLA.

Hansford may be conning the gullible schmoes of the public sector, but the rest of us aren't fooled.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

1,000 TB

Rolls eyes and tuts loudly.

1. Zippy's Sausage Factory
      Trollface

Re: 1,000 TB

Just in case someone wanted to argue whether a petabyte was 1,000 or 1,024 TB I suppose...

1. Lusty

A petabyte is 1000 TB. A Pebibyte on the other hand is 1024 TiB. It's really not that hard.

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

Petabyte, megabyte etc with 1o24 as the base have been common use for decades.

Pebitytes or whatever rubbish is something made up by a standards committee trying to make work and only used by a handful of nutters.

1. Lusty

How do you differentiate then? Disk manufacturers, Apple, Unix all use decimal, Microsoft and a few others use binary. Decades ago it was almost irrelevant but now the difference between PB and PiB is in the many Terabyte range which is significant in any calculation.

I'm not a nutter, I'm just better at IT than you are. Many people wrongly interpret the (non existent) difference between a terabyte and 930 gibibytes as "formatting losses", you think they are the clever ones?!

3. wolfetone Silver badge

I'm struggling to remember the last time a race to the bottom worked out well for the little guy?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Well, in this case, we know they are not a US company or have a US parent company so are not subject to NSA data grabs and I'm sure that despite Safe Harbour 2.0, they are making that a primary selling point when pitching to customers.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Pint

No, jusrt GCHQ datagrabs, but that's your bunch so no problem there, right? Except the 5Eyes love capturing anything in transit anywhere and I continue to pick up worries in the crypto community about the NSA, at the least, readily cracking HTTPS. {Shrug} Oh, they all like to share.

Nowadays, the only hope is that I'm not proctoscope worthy. I think. Maybe?

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"they are not a US company or have a US parent company ... I'm sure that despite Safe Harbour 2.0, they are making that a primary selling point when pitching to customers."

It depends on where and who those customers are. If they're in the EU or UK customers intending to hold data of EU data subjects it's not going to be good enough post May's reneging on ECHR.

2. Gerhard Mack

What race to the bottom? Amazon is expensive.

The trick is that they break the charges down per item so you don't realize what the cost will be until you get the bill.

1. Michael

real time costs

You can get real time costs if you put a little effort in and try something like Netflix ice:

https://github.com/Netflix/ice

Although pricing estimates can still be somewhat confusing.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That's no really the problem. I already know my data cap with Comcast so everything else falls out from that. My problem with Spideroak was that there was no way in Hell I could keep synchronized backups beyond 1.2 TB, the bandwidth simply wasn't there.

Unlimited backups isn't relevant without thick pipes.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Amazon pricing...

is pretty impossible to predict. I have done lots of work with AWS and when trying to convince a typical customer that some kind of cloud based service will be better for them, "how much will it cost" is not an unreasonable question. The answer is always "it depends" but even more so with AWS, even trying to estimate a price for matching a current setup elsewhere is just that, an estimate and still has a whole heap of "it depends" attached to it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Amazon pricing...

How on Earth can you think "...that some kind of cloud based service will be better for them,..."if you can't even price it up? FFS

I on the other hand, spend my time trying to undo the sales spin, and remind customers it's "simply someone else's servers" and expensive ones at that, and they'll be at the mercy of price hikes, currency fluctuations, gouging, etc.

I'm hoping you really know IT, because you REALLY don't know business! ROI? NPV? P&L? Ringing any bells?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ukcloud

Yes they might be cheap but they are a bunch of incompetents who will cost you more in downtime than you save in initial cost.

6. Milton

By now, a very old trick

The mobile phone networks and cable providers long since mastered the art of creating elaborately complex pricing plans designed for one single reason: to make it nigh impossible for customers to make informed price comparisons.

We avoided deliberately deceptive services from American owned provider, and purchased services from a Netherlands company which charges a fixed rate with clear specs and SLAs. Not that hard. It just works.

7. andypowe11

The question of whether it is better to put government data and services with a UK SME or a global public cloud provider is an interesting one but I don’t think that UK or non-UK ownership of the parent company has much to do with it any longer. That’s just continuing FUD. In any case, the long term ownership of whoever you choose to put your data with probably comes down at least as much to who buys them in the future as anything else.

Cost is more interesting… but if cost of storage is your driver then you may not be starting in the right place. You also need to consider breadth of functionality, long term resilience of service and various other factors. Yes, AWS and Azure pricing is complex – they are complex services with lots of flexibility… why wouldn’t the pricing be complex? You’re only going to get the most out of them by embracing that complexity and by taking advantage of the pricing and service features that allow you to control your costs sensibly. If you can’t, or won’t, do that, again, maybe public cloud isn’t for you. Which is not to suggest that doing so is trivial.

8. bertvdlingen

The lowest Amazon AWS price is in fact $0.0125 per GB ( above 1000 TB for a fair comparison )

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like