back to article China to Donald Trump: Twitter diplomacy 'undesirable'

Incoming US president Donald Trump has been reprimanded by China for indulging in “Twitter diplomacy”. State-media service Xinhua is reported to have run a commentary on Trump’s tweets, saying: “An obsession with ‘Twitter foreign policy’ is undesirable.” The Chinese-language version of Xinhua is reported to have continued: “ …

1. James 51
    Childcatcher

Can someone please create a holodeck and put either Trump or the PRC in it please?

1. Mark 85

Why can't we do both? Plus a few others as I'm sure other commentards will add to the list.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. smartypants

There is one benefit...

It only takes 140 characters of reading to find out how wrong he is.

This is a refreshing change from what normally happens, which is that politicans spout endless reams of bullshit which you have to wade through before being sure that they are idiots. (See Recent Gove report: 'Brexit A new dawn with an endless rain of money and jobs forever' )

1. BongoJoe

Re: There is one benefit...

(See Recent Gove report: 'Brexit A new dawn with an endless drain of money and jobs forever' )

As they say: Fixed That For You.

4. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

I was well aware that the Trumpster does a lot of tweeting, but I'd never really bothered to read what he was actually saying. The material presented in this article, it only reinforced my pre-existing opinion that he really is a bit of an arse.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Trump : Only a bit of an arse?

Really? Methinks that is a gross underestimation. The sad bit is that he will soon have control of the Nuclear codes.

I wonder if he thinks it will be cool to tweet them to the whole world?

I can't help thinking that he'll do so much damage to the USA that it will take 20+ years to clean up the contamination/mess. It could also make the GOP as electable as Jeremy C's Labor party for a good long time.

1. Someone Else Silver badge

@ Steve Davies 3 -- Re: Trump : Only a bit of an arse?

As they say: From your mouth to Ghod's ear.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Trump : Only a bit of an arse?

> "I can't help thinking that he'll do so much damage to the USA..."

You mean worse than the intentional harm Obama the Petulant is attempting to saddle his own country with at the last second of his reign, apparently to teach us voters it's not nice to thwart His Desires?

I'm afraid you Trump haters are going to be sooo disappointed. Trump's Presidency will be vastly more successful than what came before it, at least from a conservative's POV.

It's a safe bet, considering that if Trump merely has a pulse he'll just about pull even with Obama's record, and the slightest sign of competence will vault him far beyond anything Obama has accomplished, unless you count thousands of new, onerous executive regulations Obama signed as 'successes.'

Better count quick tho, because Trump will shortly be deactivating them all in big bunches. Sure hope his pen hand can take the strain.

BTW, I do agree Trump is a bit of an arse, but he's our arse, unlike the America-blaming joke he's replacing.

1. Triggerfish

Protection for Atheists under a religious freedom bill

Banning off-shore drilling in the Atlantic and Arctic

Plans to close the US registry system

Protecting funding for abortion clinics

None of those seem acts to cause harm to the US population.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I'm afraid you Trump haters are going to be sooo disappointed. "

You seem to be assuming that people are polarized into Trump Haters and Clinton Haters.You mighty want to consider that many of the Trump Haters are also Clinton Haters (and vice versa). But there really was no alternative option so the votes were cast for the least hateful of the two. Better to vote for the lesser of two evils than not vote at all since "None of the Above" isn't an option and non-voters are seen as apathetic by the parties rather than protesters. Same applies to your assumption about "Trump haters" feelings about Obama. Being a Trump hater doesn't preclude one from being an Obama hater too.

I'd say the choice was about equivalent to choosing between Ido Amin and Pol Pot to be your new BFF.

There are two huge elephants in the room WRT to US politics. The strong polarization between the two main parties supporters and the permanent hate by the losing side for the winning side. I'm sick of chumps saying "he's not *my* President" just because that voters choice didn't win. Yes ,you dick, the winner *is* your president unless you choose to give up your citizenship and GTFOH.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Okay, "Trump haters" is a bit broad. I suppose I really meant the kind of people who loudly oppose all things Trump because all their friends are doing it. The really serious ideological opponents of the new President are not fooled by the the extreme rhetoric being churned out by the Democrat-arse-lickers running most of the media here. They know full well how dangerous he might be to their long term plans for remaking American society in their own PC image.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Did anyone else see . . .

John Pilger's "The Coming War on China"?

I don't know who I'm more scared of but I'm leaning towards the West.

6. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
    FAIL

Proof Positive

That Twitter is for Twits.

1. Nimby
      Thumb Up

Re: Proof Positive That Twitter is for Twits.

Agreed! The only professionals that should ever use Twitter for anything other than personal use are those forced to by poor decisions made by their marketing department.

2. wikkity

Re: Proof Positive

I think you have a typo there, should be an a instead of an i.

7. Schlimnitz

I actually rather prefer to hear it from the horse's mouth, so to speak, rather than mediated through the hysteria of the press.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think this may have come from the other end of the horse.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The material presented in this article, it only reinforced my pre-existing opinion that he really is a bit of an arse.

That is one of the most diplomatic things I've ever seen written about Trump. You're not an ex-British ambassador to the EU with time on your hands by any chance?

9. wolfetone Silver badge
    1. Someone Else Silver badge

Actually it's more like, "Jinah".

1. Dr_N

It's more like " 'Gyna".

Maybe he just wants to grab it ... ?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

China's record on human rights

#undesirable

1. John Mangan

Re: China's record on human rights

Indeed, but they haven't, so far as I know, deliberately irradiated populations over decades to see what happens to them. While the world whistles softly and strolls away. Ask the Marshall Islanders about 'human rights'.

2. Swarthy

Re: United State's record on human rights

#undesirable

(ref: holding 22% of the world's prison population, with only 4.4% of the world population; warrant-less spying on citizenry; taxing income earned, and spent, abroad by citizens - but not for corporations, etc.)

3. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
      FAIL

While Gitmo exists nobody is going to listen to the US pontificate about human rights.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Locking up all those terrorists in Gitmo was indeed a mistake. They should have been executed on the battlefield as the terrorists they are. But no, Bush wanted to get info out of them, and yes it did save lives, but it also allowed some people to whinge and bleat about the 'inhumanity' of holding such people in durance vile. And it's true. They should not have had to spend so long in jail, they should have been pushing up the daisies.

And now Obama is letting them all loose to go and murder more innocents. I guess that's progress?

1. Crazy Operations Guy

"They should have been executed on the battlefield as the terrorists they are."

No, the mistake we made, and continue to make, is to hold them extra-judicially without giving them their day in court. The United States was founded on the principal that:

"all men are created equal; that they are endowed, by their creator, with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness"

Which means that all people deserve real justice, not a summary execution, no matter who they are. Killing a non-combatant not only goes against the founding principals of the US, but against those of pretty much every religion in existence.

11. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    WTF?

Well this is a surprise

Amazingly I find myself in total agreement with the Chinese!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We've got four years of this?

Alternatively:

I'm trying to work out if six months of this followed by a blinding white flash and all my skin melting off is a worse outcome

1. LaeMing
      Meh

Re: We've got four years of this?

More like 6 months of this, then he gets bored with the whole thing and resigns to go back to pushing money pointlessly around his small part of the economy and making 'celebrity' TV appearances.

1. Mark 85

Well... he is pretty pissed off about the new guy running "his" show on TV. Apparently the ratings have dropped and he blames Arnold. I would think that as President-Elect that he has more pressing issues to sort out than a TV show.

What the hell have we got ourselves into... two equally miserable candidates for President and no matter who won, we'd all be irritated as hell with them.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Anybody know if these people have learned how to do a job properly yet, or whether competent alternatives are available by now:

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/fidel-castros-death/fidel-castro-cia-s-7-most-bizarre-assassination-attempts-n688951

13. Potemkine Silver badge

Fatalitas

The Unpresidented is not President yet but I'm already fed up with all his everyday braggings, half truths and total lies... It's like a Captain on a boat seeing an iceberg ahead who shouts "Full speed!". Everybody (who is not totally brain-dead) sees the catastrophe coming and nothing can be done to avoid it.... the four next years will be very long.

1. wolfetone Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Fatalitas

Sounds like he's got Theresa May's PR guru on board.

14. The_Idiot

I wonder if...

... the man who (for once rightly) appears to have said 'no computer is safe' has considered the potential for a Twitter account known to be some sort of official organ of the US Presidency to be hijacked? We've already seen possible impacts on stock prices from Trump-eets - I'm sure other possibilities suggest themselves.

Of course, it's possible Twitter accounts are absolutely secure, with no possibility of being faked or stolen. And it's also possible I might win the lottery this week - but I'm not holding my breath.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I wonder if...

The noisy tweets from that mop-headed, orange dildo are a smokescreen to distract the easily confused away from the real business of populating his administration with criminals ready to line their pockets with anything and everything they can grab or get away with.

1. Captain DaFt

" the real business of populating his administration with criminals ready to line their pockets with anything and everything they can grab or get away with."

So politics as usual then?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"So politics as usual then?"

It seems a bit more blatant this time around.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

It's quite interesting that any post with even the slightest hist that Trump isn't the incaration of the second coming attracts at least one downvote. How the hell is he going to run a world superpower if he's spending all his time downvoting criticism on these forums?

15. Someone Else Silver badge
    Facepalm

There is a real easy way to put a stop this this:

Just stop listening to this twats...er...twits...er......tweets. (I'm taking to you, U.S. news media....)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: There is a real easy way to put a stop this this:

You are laboring under the delusion that the US corporate media still moulds US public opinion as they wish.

They don't. Thank Ghod.

16. chivo243 Silver badge
    Trollface

He can't articulate his thoughts

"The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive."

to

China has created a lot of pollution, and a large amount of cash doing so without my enterprises.

17. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Trollface

If China wasn't filtering tw*tter

If China wasn't filtering tw*tter... they would object a bit less.

But their diplomats CANNOT SEE THE TWEETS! (because of the Great Firewall)

18. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

How dumb?

Donald Trump level dumb!

19. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

So unfair!

Poor Chinese, they have years of fun with Obama, and then suddenly they have to deal with someone that doesn't "play by their rules"! Gosh, so underhand, using Twatter! If 140 chars gives them this much trouble just wait until Trumpet gives a speech in Beijing (or Taipei!).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like