back to article This 'cloud storage' thing is going to get seriously big in 2017

The waistline of Azure's storage service continues to expand, with Microsoft upping the size of the Binary Large Objects it can define. Redmond's cloud can now support BLOBs of 4.77 terabytes, up from the previous 195 gigabytes. Block sizes are also up, from four megabytes to 100. And you can commit 50,000 blocks to a single …

1. Joerg

Stick with RAID and LTO instead.

Any business relying on cloud services for data storage needs to have the management fired along with the tech guys. RAID-5, RAID-6, RAID-50, RAID-60 and LTO tape drives are the only proper way to store data in a reliable way.

1. ArrZarr Silver badge
      IT Angle

Re: Stick with RAID and LTO instead.

I'm glad that you can say that with such confidence for all possible applications of data that your solution is perfect.

In fact, why does El Reg bother anymore when Tech has been Solved?

2. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Not always - not everybody can have the resources for RAID5/50/6/60. And there are other storage technologies that can be used in lieu of RAID5/50/6/60.

Data storage as well as data retention is going to be the biggest headache going forward for a lot of sysadmins.

I have the feeling that LTO will be making a comeback.

1. Loud Speaker

Data storage as well as data retention is going to be the biggest headache going forward for a lot of sysadmins.

Though obviously less so for those who don't care about security or privacy.

2. TheVogon

"Not always - not everybody can have the resources for RAID5/50/6/60"

If you can't afford 1 or 2 extra disks, then your problem is probably resources / budget not strategy.

"And there are other storage technologies that can be used in lieu of RAID5/50/6/60."

Not that are more efficient with the same level of protection. Generally the alternative is multiple copies of the data.

"I have the feeling that LTO will be making a comeback."

Cloud based solutions like StorSimple are more likely the future imo...

3. Wilco
      Coat

Any business? What about, say, a big online retailer? There's one beginning with A that might disagree. Or that large search engine beginning with G.

The old ways are the best, aren't they? Young people today, they don't know they're born, what with their tattoos, and their beards, and their hyperscale resilient distributed architectures. And you can't tell if they're boys or girls. And their music, it's just thump thump thump ...

1. IanMoore33
        Mushroom

HEY - YOU KIDS !

GET OFF MY FUCKING LAWN !

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Wilco

Are you my dad reincarnated?

Cheers... Ishtiaq

3. Nate Amsden

Amazon? The company that built themselves on the back of oracle databases and hitachi storage?

4. Daniel B.
        FAIL

Any business? What about, say, a big online retailer? There's one beginning with A that might disagree. Or that large search engine beginning with G.

You'll find that those companies won't disagree, because they're in fact the ones propping up all that 'cloud infrastructure' in the first place. Which means they're actually using it.

4. TheVogon

"Any business relying on cloud services for data storage needs to have the management fired along with the tech guys"

Anyone with such outdated views would be lucky to get a job these days.

Public cloud is by far the cheapest and simplest way for most companies to get multi regional data fault tolerance. If your data access is highly critical and you don't trust one vendor, you can always choose to use 2 or more providers...

2. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

So they can scale upwards.

Expect funny issues to scale upwards as well, and cause problems big-time.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

4.7 Tb blobs .. over a 1g ethernet at best

All this cloud blob storage is done over slow ethernet .. good luck with that blob upload.

1. Rainer

Re: 4.7 Tb blobs .. over a 1g ethernet at best

You can send-in HDDs and SSDs.

I've heard that they also send-out HDDs and SSDs for recovery-purposes.

1. P. Lee

"Yeah? Well I've got a thousand DVDs! Ner!", said the MS engineer as he picked up his ball.

2. TheVogon

"over slow Ethernet"

You can get multi-gigabit connections direct to Azure these days....

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Redmond's Windows Cloud?

Isn't that Windows Cloud limited by the scalability of Windows Server? Or is Microsoft secretly running Linux on their Cloud, with their Linux switches?

1. TheVogon

Re: Redmond's Windows Cloud?

"Isn't that Windows Cloud limited by the scalability of Windows Server?"

That's a pretty high limit. See https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-docs/compute/hyper-v/plan/plan-for-hyper-v-scalability-in-windows-server-2016

"Or is Microsoft secretly running Linux on their Cloud

They certainly run Linux on their cloud (~30% of VMs). If you mean does their cloud run on Linux then that likely would limit scalability. There are plenty of benchmarks that show that Hyper-V outperforms say KVM.

"with their Linux switches"

The SAI API is, in principle, cross-platform, defined for both Windows and Linux, but much of the vendor switch hardware is supported best, or even exclusively, in Linux. Hence why Microsoft used Linux for network hardware.

5. suz7863

Choices

I don't believe cloud storage is for every company. Small businesses benefit from the service but large companies with IT departments will fight tooth and nail to keep their data local. Sure some of the data can go to the cloud but with security such an issue I am finding people feeling safer keeping it local.

6. suz7863

Not for everyone

Many large companies still want to keep their data local. Security is such an issue and companies that can afford to have their own IT department will keep as much local as possible. Small business however could greatly benefit from the ease and cost.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like