back to article 2016 just got a tiny bit longer. Gee, thanks, time lords

Most people are over 2016 - although god knows what next year has in store. But unfortunately they'll have to endure it bit longer: one second longer to be precise. This year the National Physical Laboratory (NPL) will insert the leap second before midnight, in order to keep the timescale based on atomic clocks in sync with …

1. Alister

Peter Whibberley, senior research scientist at the NPL

It's all Whibberley Whobberley, Timey Wimey...

1. tiggity Silver badge

I'll be festive & give a Dr. Who related up vote

2. Andronnicus Block

Don't Blink!

Not allowed to vote yet but an absolutely brilliant comment.

For those not aware, the statement is part of a line in the Dr Who episode "Blink" - one of my favourites, featuring the Weeping Angels - in which the Doctor (David Tennant) gets trapped in 1969. When trying to explain how time works to Carey Mulligan he struggles and is reduced to saying

"People don't understand time... it's not what you think it is - its' complicated, very complicated.

People assume that time is a straight progression from cause to effect, but actually, from a non linear, non subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff."

Absolutely brilliant - and another virtual up vote from me.

3. Doctor_Wibble
      Happy

And rather appropriately the time between between the message being posted and me seeing it was Seven Days.

2. Martin Gregorie

I don't see what the fuss is about

Leap seconds are not a big issue and should not be a problem for any system designer or developer who is paying attention to what they are doing.

The C tm struct, used when converting between UNIX time (seconds since 1/1/1970) and human readable time has defined the seconds field as containing a value in the range 0-61, this allowing for leap seconds, since at least 1996 so nobody can complain that this is a new issue that they don't or won't unserstand. Similarly NTP, the Internet Time Protocol, has always handled leap seconds.

Any OS worth the name will have its own implementation of UNIX's ntpd (the client interface for NTP) and should also provide time manipulation functions equivalent to the POSIX set as part of the supported language's standard libraries.

All this means that there should be no need for applications code to handle leap seconds. Ever.

1. wellthen

Re: I don't see what the fuss is about

Hopefully no one rolls their own time functions these days. The problem is when you use the time. You might find things happening twice, or two events having the same timestamp or causality appearing to be broken (if time went backwards briefly). Depending on your system this might be "super bad".

I think the crux of it is you tend to assume time goes inexorably forward. It doesn't do that with a positive leap second (if you convert out of UTC).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This. We've got very good at handling these now. In fact a lot of installations don't bother to do the 61st second any more. Rather than risk bad application code screwing up with the unexpected second, the underlying system applies a smudge factor to all the seconds around the leap second, spreading the impact over minutes or even hours. No unexpected second for badly written software to screw up with but you stay in sync just as effectively. Quite a graceful solution, all told.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Thing is, slewing time give the wrong time. It might avoid such time-steps, but the real answer is to apply a leap-second forwards and backwards every 10 minutes to software developer's machines so they get the message - test and fix your damn code!

1. JeffyPoooh
          Pint

PC suggested, "...to software developer's machines so they get the message - test and fix your damn code!"

I like your approach. It's got a bit of 'The Art of War' to it.

Just wonderful.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"The C tm struct...has defined the seconds field as containing a value in the range 0-61"

That would allow for 62 seconds. It's actually 0-60.

Tricky, these off-by-1 thingies.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So the conversion routines will now need to know about and account for the new leap second? And all those old Unixes unaware of it will be off one second?

So the conversion routines will now need to know about and account for the new leap second? And all those old Unixes unaware of it will be off one second?

You are wrong on both accounts. Firstly you have to understand the various concepts of "time" that are in use, and that suggests you don’t. We have:

Calendar time, this is what time_t and similar operates upon and what most people think of, and here each day ALWAYS has 60*60*24 = 86400 seconds, and the calculation of date is based upon the Gregorian calendar for leap years. The application of leap seconds has absolutely no impact upon such calculations, in effect it is just a step adjustment of time-of-day to keep it within 1 second of mean solar time as defined from the Earth's rotation and orbit. The difference in time between points is computed ignoring leap seconds, so it is actually "wrong" if you need an accurate time difference across such an event.

Ephemeris time and all of its variants (GPS time, TDT, etc) where you have some defined epoch and time is measured in fixed seconds based on atomic time from that point. Each of such systems has no leap seconds and no discontinuities, so time differences are always right. However, to equate such a linear time to calendar time you do need to know the history of leap seconds and for that you would need a table of data. For web-connected machines you can get it from here along with the finer details of the Earth's orientation:

http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/earth-orientation/eo-products

Finally this is exactly the same for any OS, it is just that historically UNIX has handled time in a sane and correct manner (e.g. system clock on UTC, NTP adjustment slewing time normally to avoids steps and to minimise the error w.r.t several time servers, NTP signalling leap seconds before they occur, etc) even if code monkeys sometimes get it wrong. However windows has had pretty poor ways of doing things (e.g. CMOS clock keeping local daylight-adjusted time, time steps once per week by default based on just the MS time server to keep the lock within minutes of correct time, etc).

1. Charles 9

"Finally this is exactly the same for any OS, it is just that historically UNIX has handled time in a sane and correct manner (e.g. system clock on UTC, NTP adjustment slewing time normally to avoids steps and to minimise the error w.r.t several time servers, NTP signalling leap seconds before they occur, etc) even if code monkeys sometimes get it wrong. However windows has had pretty poor ways of doing things (e.g. CMOS clock keeping local daylight-adjusted time, time steps once per week by default based on just the MS time server to keep the lock within minutes of correct time, etc)."

That comes from the MS-DOS days when computers were completely standalone so had nothing but internal reckoning to work with, so they used local time due to the KISS principle. IIRC, NT-based OS's internally use UTC now. It just doesn't set the RTC to UTC because it doesn't really have to; timezone setting is done during setup and it can keep track from there.

But still, there are applications that require BOTH calendar and ephemeral time to be both accurate and precise, putting them in a bit of a bind.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"It just doesn't set the RTC to UTC because it doesn't really have to"

Which makes it a poor neighbour on a dual boot machine. I'm not sure how this stupidity works on a portable device taken across timezones.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"historically UNIX has handled time in a sane and correct manner ...However windows has had pretty poor ways of doing things"

What you forgot was that the A/C obviously comes from the Windows world where everything from Redmond, BSODs & all, is perfect so the Unix way must be wrong.

5. macjules

One more second gives [insert deity here] enough time to kill off at least 1 actor/musician.

3. kryptonaut
    Boffin

Manipulating time

"I'll just slip in an extra second. What could possibly go wrpossibly go wrpossibly go wrpossibly go wrpossibly go wrpossibly go wrpossibly go wrpossibly go wrpossibly go wrpossibly go wrpossibly go wrpossibly go wrpossibly go wrpossibly go wrpossibly go wrong?

ong?

possibly go wr

ERR: 31 Dec 2016 23:59:60 - Temporal buffer underflow - Rebooting Universe...

1. Rob Daglish

Re: Manipulating time

Have you been at that Terry Pratchett again? (I'm re-reading Hogfather,and I seem to remember +++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++ is from that isn't it, although I haven't got that far in the book this time round? (ducks under table to avoid incoming flames for getting the book wrong))

4. storner
    Pint

It's the IERS who determines such things ...

not the NPL. You got it right when it was first reported: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/10/10/2016_leap_second/

But hey, it's Christmas and beer o'clock so who cares if they are reusing old news. Cheers, have en eggnog on me!

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Joke

Re: It's the IERS who determines such things ...

"But hey, it's Christmas and beer o'clock so who cares if they are reusing old news. "

It may be old news to you, but it's my first time trough this loop.

5. harmjschoonhoven

Love it.

Here we are only allowed to set off firework(bomb)s between 18:00 CET 2016-12-31 and 02:00 CET 2017-01-01. Not that anybody is paying any attention to that, but the extra second may be quite handy.

BTW. Scheduling the transition from 'wintertime' to 'summertime' v.v. has been a problem in broadcasting ever since the transmissions went 7/24.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Love it.

I work in the field of TV and I can honestly say I've never had a problem with wintertime/summertime changes,

On a short day you just need to schedule 23 hours of programmes and have software that is aware of the short day.

On a long day you just need to schedule 25 hours of programmes and have software that is aware of the long day.

In the last 20+ years I've been on duty for most of the clock changes and I've had my feet up drinking tea.

Buy better software my friend, there is stuff out there that works...

1. TheProf
        Joke

"schedule 25 hours of programmes"

That'll be one new hour long programme and 24 hours of repeats then?

Coat

"That'll be one new hour long programme and 24 hours of repeats then?"

If it's a US channel, that'll be 10 minutes of new programming, 25 mins of recaps/coming up and 25 mins of ad breaks.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Look on the bright side!

It's now that much longer until The Donald becomes leader of the free world!

7. Alistair
    Windows

The Leap Second

A) I've seen what can happen with 8 year out of date BSD.

B) NTP, and "drift" is the solution where you have (sadly out of date OS)

For a couple of years we had a swat team floating around for leap second events, *just* in case -- lately though, we know where the hiccups are and we have notifications designed to make people pay attention - there is one DB that gets halted (still) since it *still* does stupid things when the slew starts underneath it. I'll not talk about certain networking OS companies that still haven't fixed clustering software to cope with slew/skew and inline adjustments that they implemented in other parts of the OS....

8. Tom 7

There have been 27 of them since 1971

"they have to be manually programmed into computers and getting them wrong can cause loss of synchronisation"

Shit even I would have worked out the wrinkles in any automation code to do that - even if I had to do it at whichever midnight on new years eve was appropriate. Surely in 2017/2016/2017 no-one runs anything serious that relies on a manual time change?

Shirley?

1. VinceH
      Coat

Re: There have been 27 of them since 1971

Surely in 2017/2016/2017 no-one runs anything serious that relies on a manual time change?"

Well, there are a couple of ordinary analogue clocks here. I'm going to have to adjust those manually.

But being serious, it seems to me that inserting the extra second before midnight - hence your 2017/2016/2017 point - is not optimum, precisely because it could affect multiple points in the date and time in any software that reads the date and time.

Surely the more logical thing would be to insert the extra second 59 seconds earlier, so that the change only affects one component of the time when looked at as a string.

1. the spectacularly refined chap

Well, there are a couple of ordinary analogue clocks here. I'm going to have to adjust those manually.

But being serious...

That's perfectly serious for me. I make a point of keeping my wristwatch within one second of the correct time so there is never any debate about if something is late etc. It's easy enough to maintain in practice since it naturally gains at a known rate of ~200ms per week. I do need to specifically account for leap seconds though.

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge

No, they only need programmed in to stand-alone computers, anything using NTP gets the updates automatically as NTP announces the pending leap-second for 24 hours before it happens.

Similarly if you get time from GPS it has a field that tells you of the coming leap second for days, maybe months, before it is due. Assuming of course you don't have some shitty GPS receiver that hides the information from you because the firmware monkeys just don't understand it...

9. KHobbits

Google smear

Google have released their smearing ntp servers to the public, for people who don't want to deal with 61 seconds our repeated seconds.

Their blog has a nice write up of the problem and why they solved it that way.

https://cloudplatform.googleblog.com/2016/11/making-every-leap-second-count-with-our-new-public-NTP-servers.html

Re: Google smear

All very well if you have shit software to manage, but it means they have the wrong time for most of that day. Now they might not care, you might not care, but there are many cases when you need to know the right time to millisecond or better accuracy.

Ironically folk who program for Windows have learned to be tolerant of time-jumps because typically they are updated one per week or so by SNTP which applies a time-step. Where as UNIX/Linux has an OS that handles it properly (except when someone changes code and does not test it) but many code monkeys who never test/debug their code against time steps because they don't see it often.

10. This post has been deleted by its author

1. david 12 Silver badge

Re: ...if not corrected it would eventually result in clocks showing midday before sunrise

The correction won't be "just before midnight" at local time here. And in China, it won't even be a public holidy.

Which leads me to wonder if there is any advantage to having a time correction at midnight on a public holiday, for anybody?

Re: ...if not corrected it would eventually result in clocks showing midday before sunrise

"Which leads me to wonder if there is any advantage to having a time correction at midnight on a public holiday, for anybody?"

Probably not. I think it's an historical assumption that much of the world won't be at work, their computers are off and it's less likely to affect them. Except those are the people least likely to be affected anyway. The sort of systems where precise time is important is likely to still be running and doing whatever job job it's supposed to be doing, holiday or not. Also, when they chose the date, the countries with the most computers pretty much all used the standard western calendar.

11. SkippyBing

'However, some experts want to end the practice of coupling of Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC) with astronomical time – the practice that gave us the concept of leap seconds.'

Which seems to be adapting humans to computers' whims rather than the other way round. Which wasn't the future I was sold.

Okay it was the one in the Terminator films. Presumably Skynet couldn't cope with Leap Seconds and threw a fit.

12. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

It should be interesting to see how they handle the normal New Years Eve countdown on the box:

9 - 8 - 7 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 - wait for it - Happy New Year.

1. Charles 9
      Joke

We used to have the joke that when the leap second hit, we'd actually jump up in the air and call out "LEAP!" before 0.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"9 - 8 - 7 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 - wait for it - Happy New Year."

Their actual solution was to count 1 twice.

Then the London Ambulance Service's system crashed. Coincidence?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Good for you...

My current place of work said "we pay you hourly, but don't account for the hour change from winter/summer time... but that's ok, it will all work out in the long run".

Well, no, not if you work one and not the other. I've kept honest and avoided both... but I could make a small profit booking holidays at the right time. :P

14. Ilmarinen
    Devil

Good Sporadicity

“Because leap seconds are only introduced sporadically, they have to be manually programmed into computers..."

It means that we still have one weapon against the Rise Of The Machines. Let's keep it that way folks!

(and anyway, with the replacement of analogue TV with digital, the New Year "Bongs" are delayed by a second or so because "codecs")

15. Stevie

Bah!

Somif we don't do this, in a mere twelve thousand years all the clocks will be showing midnight at noon?

16. JimC

Of course the big question is

Will this provide enough extra time for one more celebrity to depart this mortal coil?

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Re: Of course the big question is

What are you planning, JimC?!

17. sitta_europea Silver badge

If we only have to add a leap second every three years or so, how do you work out that atomic time would drift out of sync with the Earth's rotation by an hour in a thousand years? Seems to me that's wrong by about an order of magnitude.

1. dkjd

the earths rotation is slowing, so the leap seconds will come more frequently as time goes by

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think that's because whilst the length of the second is fixed, and the length of teh day that we use in everday life is a fixed number of seconds, since those terms were defined, the Earth now spins somewhat more slowly, so even if the Earths rotation stopped getting any slower all of a sudden, we'd still need leap seconds every now and then. Just not quite as often.

18. veti Silver badge

Joke's on you...

Those of us with the presence of mind to be in a GMT+ timezone get our leap-second in 2017.

So nyah.

And yes, I know there's no guarantee 2017 will be better. But "regression to the mean" is still a thing, right? So there's at least a good chance.

19. Evil Auditor Silver badge
    Megaphone

Atomic clocks are more than a million times better at keeping time than the rotation of the Earth

If so, why don't we just make the Earth FUCKING ADHERE to the atomic clocks?!

It's a calm, lonely day at work. Feeling a little shouty.

1. Charles 9
      Mushroom

Same reason we can't make the Earth adhere to the bloody year: it bloody well does its own things and damn if it cares about us. We could be long gone and it'll STILL do its own thing. Since we can't make the Earth do what we want, will us, nil us, we'll just have to work around her.

20. Aodhhan

Laughable

It's amazing to see how people think when it comes to time... and how they believe computers handle it. Even more, when I see people think that the only operating systems are Linux and Microsoft.

Just because a new minute or new hour goes by, doesn't mean the extra second of time put into place goes away... it's there, forever. Computers don't see time in seconds, hours, minutes, etc. They typically see everything in milliseconds, and then people write code to translate it so it makes it easier for users to understand.

Time is linear, not circular. You have to go back to the simple math days and think of one long (infinite) math line marked off in milliseconds. When you tell a computer to go back to a certain point in time, it doesn't automatically know where to go. It subtracts a certain amount of time from the current time.

Insert a full second into this time line, it's like having multiple 1s, 12s, 15s, etc. in there. So subtract 8 from 12, and it doesn't land at 4, it will land at 7 for instance. So 12 - 8 = 7. The logic breaks things.

It's not a simple thing to code, because the math only hiccups if it crosses the point where you inserted the extra numbers (time). And you can't just 'highlight' or point at this marker... computers don't work this way.

The point is exacerbated by those who think you can insert a millisecond slowly into the time line. Think about it.

Those who think there isn't anything which marks time so precisely, I beg to differ. Many money transactions are based on the time money is requested, transferred, processed etc. Especially when these transactions are done over many different computer systems. They are marked by time precisely so they can be reconciled. This is done because it's possible you shop at one spot, at the same time your order at Amazon is processed at the same time your spouse uses the same bank card/credit card at another location. All at different amounts, all at nearly the same time, at different locations, on different computer systems, yet use the same banking account.

Yeah, so... those who think they know computer systems... just realize why some people go to school for 4+ years to earn a compE and others pick up an MCSE class for 6 months.

You might be a master of one operating system, but in the larger world of computer systems, you've only graduated the 2nd grade.

1. Charles 9

Re: Laughable

"Yeah, so... those who think they know computer systems... just realize why some people go to school for 4+ years to earn a compE and others pick up an MCSE class for 6 months.

You might be a master of one operating system, but in the larger world of computer systems, you've only graduated the 2nd grade."

For systems that require BOTH accurate AND precise time measurements (a better example would be HFT where competing offers can be microseconds apart but only one can close the trade), those will usually have their own internal systems if they're THAT dependent on time. They'll also be usually positioned physically close to the exchanges because at those speeds the speed of light/electricity starts becoming a factor.

21. Frumious Bandersnatch

even a stopped clock

tells the right time three times a day

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like