back to article Windows 10 nags, Dirty Cow, Microsoft's Linux man love: The Reg's big ones for 2016

Systems got bigger and more removed from ordinary mortals during 2016 as West Coast tech firms centralised more and more computing on server farms. Google, Facebook and Microsoft wanted us to slap on virtual reality goggles and ask artificial intelligences to serve our voice-activated commands. Cars, lorries and taxis minus …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Microsoft's Linux man love"

What a perverted concept.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Microsoft's Linux man love"

Embrace, extend, and extinguish...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Indeed. It's not even interspecies - it's inter-biomal love, MS being on a different planet from the rest of us.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Does this mean that Bill Gates is like Captain Kirk?

1. Alister

Does this mean that Bill Gates is like Captain Kirk?

Naah, more like Yoda...

"Never more than 640k will you need"

2. psychonaut

ftfy

Elsewhere in paranoia, it was Internet of Things. The growing market for “things” went hand-in-hand with concern that routers, web cams, PoS

should read

Elsewhere in paranoia, it was Internet of Things. The growing market for “things” went hand-in-hand with concern that routers, web cams ARE PoS

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about adding:

- Billion dollar megacorps in the Tech sector continue to pay less tax than an unemployed cleaner

- Billion dollar companies are selling illegal bullshit whilst losing billions of dollars in the process - see Uber

-Tech jobs continue to be ousourced by spreadsheet monkey Execs as a race-to-the-bottom, despite evidence this kills quality and costs more

4. Sureo
    Pint

Windows 10 upgrade suvivor

Highlight of the year - I managed to resist Microsoft's efforts to upgrade my W7 computer, in spite of repeated efforts on their part. It was hard, and I'd like to celebrate.

1. Hans 1
      Unhappy

Re: Windows 10 upgrade suvivor

>It was hard, and I'd like to celebrate.

Past tense ? it only just begun .... in 2020 you will be able to celebrate, until then, good luck and keep up the good faith. Their tactics have somewhat shifted to Windows Update, making it as painful an experience as could possibly be - after all, you really pissed them off when you refused to upgrade and they are making you pay for it ... every month.

Feel sad for you, good luck!

1. VinceH

I'm waiting to see the updates that will slowly, gradually, subtly turn Windows 7 into Windows 10.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Fortunately, based on my failed attempts to update windows 7, that might take months or even years before my system gets off being stuck on 0% downloaded !

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I'm waiting to see the updates that will slowly, gradually, subtly turn Windows 7 into Windows 10.

They've already started, haven't you been paying attention?

All the telemetry and "compatibility" updates are installing the microsoft malware on your PC.

2. cortland

People with "only" 2 GB data plans might have to take two months to update a computer. THREE computers?

Oh joy.

2. Scoular

This week I shifted another now happy user to Mint Linux. The Windows 7 updates problems had become so annoying she became happy to abandon Microsoft. Found that the world does NOT revolve around MS after all.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Thankfully, I managed to ensure our 3 house PC's here were spared this nasty and unwanted 'upgrade' from 7, so I still have domestic harmony on the IT front.

Disregarding the telemetry, unreasonable update policy and crap drivers MS has put into Windows 10, MS would probably have had an easier ride if they'd have reinstated the user interface from Windows 7 instead of the broken abortion which 10 employs. It's far, far too late now though.

5. Kreton
    Pint

Windows 10 told us it had updated itself. When we shut it down to restart it didn't, just sat there with a nice blue screen. Tried rebooting it a number of times but no luck. Reinstalled 7 from the manufacturers recovery partition, left it to do updates, and then it would take 10 minutes to run any programme because Windows update was consuming all the memory. Found some information on patches which cured that then of course, now update was working, more updates, finally after 147 more updates it seems to be working the way it used to. What a palaver, surely Microsoft have lost the plot now?

1. gfx

They didn't lose the plot. A clean install of Windows has always been followed by a couple of hundred updates and various reboots.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like