back to article NASA explains how 'Spiders' grow on Mars

NASA thinks it has found an explanation for the “spiders” it's spotted on Mars. No, you haven't missed news of Martian arachnids. These spiders are a series of erosion channels that meet in a central pit and are common in regions near Mars' South Pole. A decade's worth of data from The High Resolution Imaging Science …

1. Mark 85

Looks like a sandworm hole to me. Either they don't want us to know about the spice or it's as they say...

1. AMBxx Silver badge
      Alien

Nonsense

If you squint a bit, you can clearly see Martians walking away from the centre. That's what's causing the lines.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

So, the planetary equivalent of varicose veins?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's having problems in its "Southern troughs"

3. redpawn

Should hatch any century now

There are only cracks on the southern hemisphere because that is where the chick's beak is located. The feet are in the northern hemisphere. I think it will turn out to be a tern by the colouration of the egg.

4. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Coat

I for one ...

Oh, ... hang on ...

Sorry, I'll get me coat

5. Notas Badoff
    Joke

News flash!

"The Register will happily follow up on this story after such a period has expired."

Bzzrt! This just in! Simon Sharwood IV reporting to you, live from Valles Marineris, on this latest blow...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: News flash!

OMG they are going to switch off the air...

6. Gobhicks

The Spiders from Mars...

... are pretty Ziggy (and, technically, made of Stardust). Bowie, ahead of the curve as always.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The Spiders from Mars...

The Thin White Duke smiles at us from Cydonia.

Truth be told, that gif looks like a very bad belly button ring infection spreading! "Her summer was ruined. RUINED!"

2. Farnet

Re: The Spiders from Mars...

I really hope they name one of the Mars spider features after Bowie (if they haven't already), it'd be one hell of a tribute to a legend

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like