back to article FYI! – Your! hacked! Yahoo! account! is! worth! $0.0003!

The hacked database containing the account details of more than one billion Yahoo! users is reportedly being sold for a meager $300,000. This according to a report by the New York Times, which spoke with researchers at US computer security biz InforArmor. Those eggheads claim to have knowledge of at least three groups – two …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"Yahoo!'s value will never recover"

Yup, it's a crash & burn, and it feels richly deserved.

This billion-account breach occurred in 2012. Instead of communicating on that issue, Marissa spent the next year with other priorities, such as redesigning the logo, and not securing an email backdoor.

Well the problems are finally coming home to roost. Looks like you still can't avoid a problem by ignoring it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Yahoo!'s value will never recover"

Well, Marissa Meyers and her class proves that problems *can* be ignored because they do not have consequences: Just before Yahoo! Craters, "The Quantum Laws of CEx Remuneration" will kick right in and make her and her kind even more golden. This will happen for every opportunity she has to run yet another business right into the ground.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The way things are going the BEEEEELLLLION account database will be worth more than Yahoo itself.

If it isn't already, that is.

1. fajensen
      Terminator

Yup - Huma Abedin's "life insurance" folder is maybe worth a few hundred bucks or so.

3. jake Silver badge

That much for 3 yeard old data?

I guess it's true. There's a sucker born every minute.

1. P. Lee

Re: That much for 3 yeard old data?

Paid for with proceeds from a 419 operation....

4. David Gosnell

Account termination

I found it rather ironic that upon cancelling the account I never wanted, and probably never even directly asked for, in the first place, it informed me that the actual deletion would be delayed for 90 days "to discourage fraud". To my mind, that's more of a 90-day window of opportunity...

Oh, and it forced me to activate a Yahoo ID and webmail (yet another proven attack vector, if my spamtrap is anything to go by) just to do that!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Account termination

Finally bit the bullet and terminated my 14 year old Flickr Account which was the only reason I even had a Yahoo Account. Thats a big chunk of my life and a whole portfolio gone.

5. lglethal Silver badge
    Trollface

"Yahoo!'s value will never recover"

How hard is it to recover from Utterly Worthless to just plain Worthless? Or is this more of an attempt at recovery from Disgustingly Toxic to Utterly Worthless?

It's so hard to differentiate between Levels at the bottom of the pit...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Yahoo!'s value will never recover"

"It's so hard to differentiate between Levels at the bottom of the pit..."

Unfortunately, I don't think Dante took this sort of thing into account when he wrote Inferno. Can we add a tenth circle?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good luck with my old Yahoo account that was specifically set up as a spam sinkhole, eat your own dogfood.

1. Mark 85
      Devil

I'm thinking that a Yahoo account might soon be spam free. The spammers will assume that any Yahoo account is now under control of another spammer and not bother. I have seen a drop in spam from various honeypot/spam trap accounts I have on Yahoo.

7. Magani
    Linux

A 'Real' Beeeeelion?

Has anyone come up with a number that correlates to how many of those accounts are actually:-

a) Real, and/or

b) Current

I suspect that it's nowhere near the aforementioned Beeeeelion.

Enquiring penguin minds want to know.

1. druck Silver badge

Re: A 'Real' Beeeeelion?

It probably works out at almost a buck per active account.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"the aforementioned Beeeeelion."

Half bee, half lion, all... something.

1. Vic

Half bee, half lion, all... something.

Eric?

Vic.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yahoo has been the traditional ground of spammers and scammers for years, because they never verified anything. That database is going to contain a lot of fictitious/false data. Even before the breaches were published, a Yahoo email address or Yahoo chat ID were a sign of potential dodginess.

9. EJ

I'm leaving - so reduce your bid by $0.0003, Verizon.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like