back to article 'Googlebomb' blows up in Daily Mail hack's face

A hapless Daily Mail hack's failure to understand Googlebombing has led to her becoming victim of her own twisted definition of the mischief-making practice. In her piece last Friday, "Blears falls prey to 'Google Bomb' Attack Of The 50-inch Woman", Julie Moult hung a tissue-thin story about an alleged "Googlebombing" of Hazel …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Guess what happens when you Google "Julie Moult" now

Couldn't resist it, but wtf is *this* all about ?!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article85048.ece

2. Andrew
    Thumb Up

Beautiful

The best bit is that apart from all the "Julie Moult is an idiot" links on the first page of google search results, there is a real Sun article entitled "Nazi Racoons on the warpath" written by her.

Says it all really.

3. TheBloke
    Dead Vulture

Come on El Reg, where's your contribution?

I am very disappointed to see that you did not:

a) Put "Web says Julie Moult is an idiot" in your story URL, or its title

or

b) Link to one of the blog posts with a hyperlink containing "Julie Moult is an idiot".

With your pagerank, either would have been a powerful and lasting contribution to this monument for ill informed shock journalism. And the fact that it's the Daily Mail only makes it even more fun.

4. Barnaby Self
    Paris Hilton

Them same Julie Moult who wrote this article?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article85048.ece

what a dumbass!

Paris, cos she knows that racoons are not Nazis!

5. Anonymously Deflowered
    Thumb Up

Brilliant!

I love the Internet as much as I hate the Daily Mail.

6. Craig

@ AC and Moult's Nazi racoons

It does explain why she was hired by the Daily Mail from The Sun...

Let me be the first to welcome our Nazi racoon overlords...

7. Michael Law
    Happy

Class

Nuff said :)

8. Pavlovs well trained dog

hah. So there is a God(dess)

this is brilliant.

9. heystoopid
    Go

So

So just another hack graduate of the "Judith Miller School of Journalism" , I see !

I wonder if she will make it to the "digg" front page too , now that would be poetic justice indeed !

10. spiny norman
    Thumb Up

Playmobile mockup

Google-bombing Julie Moult. Where is it?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When did...

... Racoons learn to swim then?

Or are they coming in Landing Craft?

What a useless waste of blood and organs that woman is!!!

12. Shaun Rolph

News is hard to come by for The Mail?

Diana's still dead in August, isn't she?

13. Law
    Paris Hilton

zomfg

lol - couldn't happen to a more worthy eejit.

@ Craig - I wouldn't be welcoming the nazi racoons just yet - it seems the bloggers hold more power here... so, with that in mind.

Let me be the first to welcome our vengeful blogger overlords...

Paris icon - because even she's not dumb enough to take on the Internet in a flame war!!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Nazi racoons and Julie Moult is an idiot

OMG - like if I ever like kinda needed proof that a law was like broken when the Sun was permitted to register itself as like a "newspaper".

... and Julie Moult - how in the infinite stretch of universal time can that [very entertaining and brilliantly vibrant colo(u)rful metophor deleted by the author to stop the censors from having fun] be described as a journalist? Who needs an infinite number of monkeys, bubbles could out 'creative type' that waste of ink and paper on his first attempt... shame the link to "comment on this story" was removed from the Racoon page because I was like sorely tempted to kinda add... "Julie Moult is an Idiot, see the internet for details".

15. Chris

Daily Mail lies

From the Mail - "No comments have so far been submitted. Why not be the first to send us your thoughts?"

Bullshit. Comments have been submitted, the Mail have just decided not to publish them.

I know this is just a light-hearted story but it really annoys me that the Mail frequently do not publish innocuous comments they receive if it doesn't fit in with their world view. It creates a bias amongst their readers whereby they think everyone else agrees, because it appears that nobody has offered contrary comments.

Rant over, and thank you to the Reg mods for allowing dissent amongst user comments. You twats.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"internet enthusiasts"

lol

17. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Further off topic, but hey!

"When did raccoons learn to swim then?"

Sometime before Michael Phelps...where d'ye think they get their fish, Aldi?

"Raccoons can swim with an average speed of about 4.8 km/h (3.0 m/h) and stay in the water for several hours."* More likely to smuggle themselves in on lorries...

*It must be true, I read it on Wikipedia...

18. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

I'm an internet enthusiast

At weekends I wear my anorak and go packet spotting.

19. Andy Taylor

@Shaun

Easy mistake to make I know, but it's the Express that is obsessed by Diana. You can usually tell which day of the week it is by their front page headline.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Joined up thinking

A glimpse inside the mind of Julie Moult

"Hang on, If the Interweb is just a Series of tubes...

... the Racoons could use them to get anywhere!!!

We're DOOMED!"

etc

21. Shaun Rolph

@Andy Taylor

Cheers, I've clearly been misled by the Daily Mail-o-matic http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/ and its "Could Gypsies Tax The Memory Of Diana?"

22. Elmer Phud
    Alien

Well, it does have the word 'bomb' in it

As a sensitive and diligent researcher that works for such a mighty organ as the Daily Mail it is her duty to warn us of anything that uses a bomb.

The suspicion now is that Google is not run by a bunch of American commie wierdos but directly controlled by one Mr Bin-Laden.

It is only a matter of time when these 'bombs' are delivered to our computers at home and triggered all at the same time rendering the West(tm) totally open to invasion by the Muslim hordes who have been infiltrating these shores for many years.

I welcome the wisdom of one of our premier investigative journalists who flies in the face of misguided ridicule.

23. adnim

where's the news

Tabloid journo is an idiot? Couldn't be that surely.

24. Chris
    Thumb Up

"news is hard to come by" paragraph

Sheer class. More of this please!

25. Matthew
    Happy

My favourite

One of the postings has a brilliant response:

"Hey Julie, the internet says hi."

26. This post has been deleted by its author

27. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Julie Moult is an Idiot

Julie Moult is an Idiot.

Just doing my bit...

28. Sam

Ha ha!

The Daily Fail strikes again!

29. Goat Jam

@Chris

Yes, well, the reg mods are certainly not the worst out there, but they can still be a tad pc when it suits them, 'specially concerning, umm, "gender sensitive" posts.

30. TeeCee Gold badge
    Joke

The Daily Mail....

....welcomed it's Nazi Racoon Overlords many years ago.

31. Gav
    Pirate

Oh oh!

Looks like the internet may be joining the Daily Mail's bumper list of menaces-that-threaten-to-destroy-our-way-of-life-and-house-prices.

Still, I suppose it'll give foreigners, the Labour Government and people in council flats a break.

32. William Towle
    Thumb Up

Not long to go...

...until googling "idiot" has all the of the "blog posts about idiot" being ones that mention Julie Moult.

(Presently two out of three; ain't bad).

33. The Envoy
    Alert

@ Further off topic, but hey!

Good grief! From France they're less than seven hours away! My thoughts are with all people of the "free world".

34. Gilbert Wham

@ Goat Jam

Well, there's a significant gap between being out and out insulting and disagreeing with the Daily Mail. Unless you're a retired colonel from the Home Counties of course.

35. Tom Doggett

Impressed

I'm impressed that Google Bombing "first emerged in the early 1990s" (Daily Fail website). How clever of IT experts to predict the emergence of Google *and* come up with a way of using it to amuse themselves several years before the search engine emerged.

36. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

now which is worst?

Nazi Racoon Overlords or power-robbing suicidal squirrels?

@Goat Jam - Oh Gee, now who would do that?

37. Haku
    Coat

Internets FTW!

My b3ta sig has been appearing in in google seaches: http://www.google.com/search?q=b3ta+julie+moult+is+an+idiot

38. Walking Turtle
    Coat

If certain people had their way...

We'd be saddled with a Faith-Based Internet, mark these words well.

Sad but so - just think it out for y'self if ye be new to this sort o' thing...

A dead vulture's the closest thing I could find to a choked chicken - no spanked monkey icon in sight. 'Cause this world is full o' faith-based wankers and their abusive, mass-manipulating Raccoon-Cloaked Lizard Overlords, floating 'Way High Overhead like the top cap on the US dollah-bill's ubiquitous quasi-Egyptian "Ponzimid" on the back-side) with Gross Impunity no matter the cost to all.

Come to think of it, Egypt's been mighty helpful to the US State Torture Regime, now ain't she just? But I wander; I'll just get me coat now.

Utter rubbish, that entire Web-published notion of swinging that entire gallon bucket of Google Bits all dissolved in nitromethane 'toon-dip above my head by hand for half an hour - we tricked out an old washing machine to do that phase of the as-alleged process for us straight off (for safe distance's sake) and it still blew right up in our faces... Result: Another State Weapon of Mass Deception set aright.

Mine's the one with the REAL Google-bomb-making instructions embedded in the micro-size USB-drive, carefully hemmed into the lining for the children's sake in the world a-coming... Peace. I'm out.

39. Craig
    Paris Hilton

I'm Ok, Nazi Raccoons are ok

Well, as long as they don't have Lightsabers.

Paris, because she can Googlebomb me any day ;)

40. joe acquisto

Petard? Hoist?

The correct phrase is "hoist *with* your/his/her own petard".

41. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Petard? Hoist?

Sorry Joe, no.

The Shakespearean is "with". The cliche is part of the modern language as "by", however.

42. Dave
    Paris Hilton

Julie Moult is STILL and Idiot

Well if you google her name now, the first 4 PAGES of result imply that this particular journalist has a below average IQ.

And she works for the Daily Hate.

They're a match made in heaven

Paris? Well if Ms Mould works hard and studies she might yet someday become a genius like her

43. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Almost a Googlebomb

A Google search on "idiot" restricted to the UK now returns "Julie Moult is an idiot" at number 10. Keep up the good work "internet enthusiasts" - show her how a Googlebomb should be done!

44. Ishkandar

@Tom Doggett

That's nothing !! A few years ago, some company in Hong Kong advertised for junior Java programmers with 10 years experience around 6 years after Java was available to the public !!

"The evil that men do lives on after them..."

- Billy Shakespeare

45. Magilla
    Black Helicopters

This story is a miserable failure?

I think you'll find that one of the best known googlebombing campaigns was "french military victories".

It even still works, 6 years later, despite bloggers predicting that the mockup google page would fall quickly in the ranks.

If you want a trip down memory lane, type "french military victories" into google and press "I'm Feeling Lucky".

46. Rob

@ Chris

I agree, I hate the Mail too, and I have on a few occasions submitted comments to their retarded stories which do not concur with the general concensus of the wail reading population, not a single one appeared on the wail's site, and you're clearly right, it's only done to further compound their deluded readers scary view on the world (which they learnt from sources such as the wail in the first place)

haha, daily fail, i like it

47. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Litigation

Surely all of these defamatory statements decrying Julie Moult's idiocy will sonner or later lead to litigation.

"Right you bloggers, I'm taking the internets to court. Let me talk to the manager....the internet manager"

48. Arnold Layne

Missed a trick

It would have been so much better from a Mail obsessed-with-property-values-nastiness point of view if the hits returned "Julie Moult, whose house is worth 50p, is an idiot".

49. Tony
    Happy

@ Litigation

LOL, I can just imagine Julie picking up her desk phone and talking to the BOFH to see if anything can be done.

50. Law
    Heart

RE: Litigation

"Let me talk to the manager....the internet manager"

I WOULD LOVE THAT JOB!!!!

51. Jeremy Wickins

I was going to be kind ...

... and say that it isn't usually the journo that writes the headline -- but then I read the story*. Oh, dear. Yep, Moult is an idiot, and a vicious, rude, offensive one at that. She should be next to Jackie Smith when the revolution comes ...

* Story in the sense of a minor fact dressed up in fantasy, not journalism.

By the way, am I the only one to notice a lack of TheManFromMars this week?

52. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

re - litigation by Julie Moult, the idiot

To successfully pursue this is court, the idiot Julie Moult would need to prove that she was not an idiot... and since Julie Moult is an idiot it would be very difficult for the idiot Julie Moult to prove anything other than the fact that all the internet comments about Julie Moult being an idiot are, in fact, completely true.

53. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Internet manager...

There was actually some American celebrity who wanted the Internet manager to work on ridding the world of spam or something. I'm not sure who was in charge of the Internet at the time, but s/he declined to do it, so spam continues.

Raccoons are rather interesting and intelligent creatures. Too bad these raccoons are Nazis.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like