back to article USPTO: Hi, Ask Me Anything. Reddit: Can we trademark 'AMA'? USPTO: No.

Reddit's "Ask Me Anything" interviews where anyone and everyone answers whatever questions the website's readers throw at them has become an internet staple. Which is probably why the corporation behind the sprawling and poorly designed "front page of the internet" decided it was time to get some letter protection behind it …

1. Fan of Mr. Obvious

Question for Reddit AMA

Have any more worthless endeavors that will consume my tax dollars?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Question for Reddit AMA

When reddit read the advice on the uspto website they'd have seen "Failure to conduct a proper search may result in your not making a proper assessment as to whether an application should even be filed"

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Considering that list

Why did the USPTO ever allow 'Winter is Coming' to become a trademark?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Considering that list

Because HBO are content trolls; George R. R. Martin wrote the line, not any suit-douche in NY, or those two fucknuts Chris and Dan; the "how fast can we consume (waste) all the good works for some flashy visual effects and to tie up actors and actresses worthy of better roles in our crap cable show?"

There is SO much material in the books, but Chris and Dan sped through it like a hot shit on the winter snow. Now they have dick, and are pestering GRRM for the latest installment. Let George take all the fucking time in fucking Westeros to finish it. The show sucked dead dragon dicks after season 3. It is known.

If you're a fan, read the books. Stop fucking yourself over by speeding through it by watching the shit reenactment of stories meant to be read.

1. Stevie

If you're a fan, read the books.

What, even the tree-killing and worthless for any other purpose fifth installment? Aren't there international treaties limiting the mandatory infliction of that sort of pain on innocent bystanders?

'Cause if there ain't, there bloody well should be.

The HBO writers should get a Nobel Prize for making Game of Thrones a proper story again, using pacing, plot and POV characters the viewer cares about instead of spending five hundred plus pages introducing fifty new POV characters we don't give a fewmet for at the expense of bringing the story to a shuddering halt.

GRRM is now involved in the author's equivalent of writing spaghetti code to prolong the paycheck, and after the agony of episode five I'm done contributing.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

... and why did they suddenly wake from their slumber for Reddit before rolling over and going back to sleep?

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. J. R. Hartley

I believe you are referring to Network Attached Storage.

4. Oh Homer
      Pint

"Why did the USPTO ever allow 'Winter is Coming' to become a trademark?"

Because HBO is better at greasing palms than Reddit.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Because HBO didn't try with WIC.

1. Charles 9

WIC can't be trademarked anyway because it's actively used as the acronym for a federal program (Women with Infants and Children, a voucher program for baby supplies). Confusion test would fail and the feds get priority on use.

3. Your alien overlord - fear me

My application for Arse Mooning Association was rejected because I didn't spell Arse properly !!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Looks fine to me.

Arse May Allow

Alternate Mate; Ass

And Might Also

Attach My Anus

Always More Arse!

(And I thank you.)

4. Mage Silver badge

So ...

Why have they allowed all the other stupid, frivolous and identical phrases and initials?

Winter is coming.

1. Long John Baldrick

Re: So ...

Winter Is Icumen In...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reddit who

They're the people who edit posts they don't like, right?

6. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

And yet, somehow, life goes on.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A bit harsh on Reddit

Don't know if you guys realise but the internet was invented in like the 1970s or something so having a go at The Front Page of the Internet for being badly formatted is a bit disrespectful. I bet your gran couldn't have come up with a better idea for a web page back when she was wrinkle-free.

You guys should stop making pointless and unfunny comments about something you know nothing about and do something useful with your time, and let Reddit get on with delivering quality coverage of the best bits of the internet, like Vince Surf intended it to be in the beginning.

--

u/checkmeouticanpostonelregwiththishandle

8. peter 45

Cough

"sprawling and poorly designed"

I'm sorry. Remind be again who released an app which was so poorly implemented that it crashed half the time, had buttons that didn't work. Also the same website who changed the nested comments layout so that following a conversation became impossible.

Hmmmmmmmmmm?

9. Youngone Silver badge

The problem is people.

It has been pointed out to me that the default state of Reddit is the problem.

My son showed me how the default subreddits are (almost) without exception cesspits of ignorance and delusion, but if you look beyond there are many interesting little subreddits.

I have an interest in a non-mainstream sport,* and the subreddit set up to discuss that sport* is a lively, interesting, fun place. It has disagreements at times, but not much real nastiness and I have learned a lot.

*No, I will not tell you what sport, as you will come to the subbreddit and I've just finished explaining how awful all you people are.

1. KitD

Re: The problem is people.

Similar position, me.

Problem I have is that my chosen sport sub is overrun with US high schoolers with their 'coach was mean to me and dropped me' posts. *Sigh* Fortunately I have other sources.

I do think that the general level of discussion is very good in the more scientific subs, esp r/askscience which is a great read.

Overall Reddit is about the best you can get while allowing anyone to post anything anonymously.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

10. John Watts

They've missed a trick - they should have tried to patent the format. They'd have got that no problems.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon