back to article It's now illegal in the US to punish customers for posting bad web reviews

President Obama has signed into effect a new law that bars businesses from punishing customers for giving bad reviews. The Consumer Review Fairness Act (HR 5111) voids any contract that involves prohibitions or penalties related to negative online reviews. The aim of the bill, written by Reps. Leonard Lance (R-NJ) and Joseph …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm

"The law would also prevent a business from asserting intellectual property claims on the content of a review..."

Depending on the exact wording, this might open the door for public reviews of vendor products.

1. J. R. Hartley

Re: Hmm

Surely it's always been illegal to put poo in a customer's food though?

2. Haku

Trump might want to repeal that, especially because he said this about journalists:

“One of the things I’m gonna do, and this is only gonna make it tougher for me, and I’ve never said this before, but one of the things I’m gonna do if I win… is I’m gonna open up our libel laws so when they write purposely negative and horrible and false articles, we can sue them and win lots of money. We’re gonna open up those libel laws.”

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Trump might want to repeal that, especially because he said this about journalists:

Thin skinned men with small hands don't like it when those facts are pointed out about them.

1. William 3 Bronze badge

Re: Trump might want to repeal that, especially because he said this about journalists:

Reminds me of every liberal I know.

You looked in the mirror lately.

2. djack

I was just thinking of this tweet

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

He should put himself in jail then. Oh right, he would not contradict himself. QED.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

I suspect that Trump's continual contradictions are simply Alzheimer's kicking in - he wouldn't be the first US president with that problem.

1. Mark 85

Well.. we've had Presidents with Alzheimer's, alcoholism, sex addiction, stupidity, and the infamous "I'm praying for an answer:" so move along. There's nothing new to see here.

3. Ashley_Pomeroy

This is the worst article ever. I'm never going to read it again. 0/5. The writer was rude to my wife and the words weren't cooked properly.

1. DNTP

…and then you realize that theregister.co.uk isn't in Obama's America.

Anyway I give the Reg Forums 3 out of 5 stars.

-1 star: <blink> not working

-1 star: </blink> not working

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> </blink> not working

Negative. </blink> is working. You just can't see it.

2. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

Re: blink tag

And for next thing you'll be wanting marquee? Oh, behave.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Re: blink tag

No blink tag? Thank God for small mercies!

2. Haku

"the words weren't cooked properly."

I didn't know they still made Alphabetti Spaghetti.

3. vir

This isn't even real tech writing anyway and I would know, I've been to dozens of tech news sites all over the world. If you want the best authentic tech writing, there is a tiny, hole-in-the-wall place on the beach in Costa Rica that's run by a husband-and-wife team and they only put out four articles a week.

4. rgriffith

Trump will revoke that law

I can see Trump removing that law pretty quick. There will be no negative reviews allowed of Trump.

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

Re: Trump will revoke that law

There will be no negative reviews allowed of Trump.
      So Trump is a manufactured product! I will be vindicated...

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

So Trump is a manufactured product! I will be vindicated...

Owing more to science than nature. Especially in skin and hair.

Maybe he's an android come back from future to stop our civilisation in its tracks to prevent us from preventing a robot apocalypse?

2. Charles 9

"I can see Trump removing that law pretty quick. There will be no negative reviews allowed of Trump."

How when the Republicans lack cloture power in the Senate?

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

How when the Republicans lack cloture power in the Senate?

I read that as "clotting power".. Which they certainly have - they've been making sure that the US Government doesn't do *anything* for the last 2 years..

1. Charles 9

That's the thing. What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. Neither side has had 60 Senators (what you need to invoke cloture which breaks a filibuster) for a long time, so if the GOP expect to get a lot through their administration they have another thing coming.

5. aaaa
    Joke

built in escape clause...

also removes any protections for reviews and posts that are found to be false or misleading

But any negative review is misleading, obviously, like duh?!?

6. skizzerz

Trump will be likely unable to do anything about this law; it passed the Senate with a unanimous vote, and the Republicans control the Senate right now.

I'm surprised El Reg didn't pick up on one particular part of the bill that impacts IT in particular (bolded): "The term “covered communication” means a written, oral, or pictorial review, performance assessment of, or other similar analysis of, including by electronic means, the goods, services, or conduct of a person by an individual who is party to a form contract with respect to which such person is also a party."

If my reading is correct, this would mean that you can no longer be contractually forbidden from posting benchmark results of things, as I know enterprise database vendors are wont to do among others.

7. cd

This will be the last sane act of US government for the next 4-8 years. Please savor slowly.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My approach

Not that anyone will or should be interested, but anyway...

1. I hardly ever post online reviews of anything.

2. I really hardly ever post negative reviews of anything. The reasoning is that while I may not have liked something, I assume that a) most businesses do at least try, b) it might have been a one off, c) other people may not care about the same things I do, d) if I give a negative review and it turns out to be unfair I might have deprived the business of a customer, and the customer of a product he would have otherwise bought. So I prefer to play it safe, unless it is really blatant.

3. When I do post, be it negative or positive, it is anonymously or pseudonymously.

1. Mark 85

Re: My approach

So if everyone thought like you, there never would be any negative reviews and all would well and joyous in Happy Valley, right? All the customers would be happy and the service/food/accommodations/etc. would be perfect. Or least they would to those looking at them.

1. Cereberus

I hardly post reviews on line because I got what I paid for nothing more and nothing less. If I get especially good or bad service / products etc. then I will post.

When I look at review posts for a product I always expect there to be a certain amount of bad feedback because that is life. Some people demand more than they should reasonably expect and post a bad review because of it whilst other people would think the same service or product is excellent - it is a personal view after all. Ultimately though I look to see what the balance of good and bad is and what happens when it goes bad.

If I get a product which isn't fit for purpose I shouldn't be afraid to say so. At the same time if I take it back and get it replaced for one that is fit for purpose and have posted a comment then I should update the comment to show it was a one off. After all nothing is guaranteed so if I get good after sales service to help solve a failing in a product I can accept the little bit of hassle of having to return and get a replacement and won't slam the product as a result or supplier as a result.

I also hate anonymous cowards and tend to ignore their views as probably being trolls (some cases are different where they could be putting themselves at risk but otherwise....). If you write something because you mean it then you should have the guts to put your name (or user ID) against it and not hide behind anonymity.

1. Charles 9

"I also hate anonymous cowards and tend to ignore their views as probably being trolls (some cases are different where they could be putting themselves at risk but otherwise....). If you write something because you mean it then you should have the guts to put your name (or user ID) against it and not hide behind anonymity."

Unless, like you said earlier, some sellers don't like taking flak and start firing back. That's the reason for anonymity in the first place: to protect against retaliation.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> I also hate anonymous cowards and tend to ignore their views as probably being trolls

The irony of your post being a reply to another one of mine. :-) If you allow me to say, that's a bit silly and I have my own philosophical reasons for always posting AC.

Agree with the rest of your post though, you have explained my approach better than me.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> So if everyone thought like you, there never would be any negative reviews

And what would the problem with that be?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I guess some people just don't like being positive. :-)

9. Howard Hanek
    Linux

How?

Does the government attach a letter of reprimand to the income tax form?

10. ecofeco Silver badge

What a world

That it took a law to make this happen is absurd.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very glad it exists, but it should have never come to this. Freedom of speech is guaranteed in the Constitution, with the only exceptions being libel and slander, incitement to riot/violence and fraud (lying to make money). That any company could sue for a bad review should have never been allowed in the first place.

1. Olius

Re: What a world

IANAL, but this appears to be about the ability of a contract to give away your right to free speech.

i.e., your free speech is now still protected even if you have signed a contract waiving your right to free speech.

2. Donn Bly

Constitutionally protected speech is limited to speed about the government. So while a tirade about a government official or policy is protected, a similar tirade against a private individual company, or company policy is NOT similarly protected under the US constitution.

I'm of mixed feelings on this law, while I welcome the additional protections I feel it will only embolden and encourage more fake reviews. Fake reviews are already a problem, particularly those that have been posted anonymously.

I really don't like the government getting involved and unilaterally changing the contract between two private individuals. If I have a contract that contains a non-disclosure that says you can use my software but you can't give anyone details about its proprietary functions or use my name to enhance your brand, then the government shouldn't be able to go back in later and remove the non-disclosure.

1. Olius

Would it make you feel better about this law if I told you that we have vaguely similar in the UK, and for very good reasons?

Law exists that defines certain contract terms as illegal and therefore not contractually enforceable.

An example would be if your employment contract said that you could not work for a competitor for X months after leaving, but you work in a niche industry where the only jobs you could get after this one would be for a competitor. Therefore, such a clause would deny you the right to work, and so the clause is illegal and unenforceable.

(I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong about this one)

This isn't about govts overturning contracts willy nilly, it is about you not being coerced in to signing a contract which gives away certain basic rights - in my example, the right to work, and in the article, the right to free speech.

1. Charles 9

"This isn't about govts overturning contracts willy nilly, it is about you not being coerced in to signing a contract which gives away certain basic rights - in my example, the right to work, and in the article, the right to free speech."

But freedom of speech in the Constitution (as well as all the other freedoms and rights accorded in the Bill of Rights) are specifically written to prevent government action against the individual. Action between private entities are subject to negotiable terms and conditions.

That being said, the law here is about balancing knowledge in common, which is critical for capitalism to work properly. People can only make informed decisions if they're informed of both strengths and faults. That's why we have fraud laws. But the catch is that it's hard to nail a fraud case due to lack of knowledge (misinformation by absence). If the seller has the ability to bias the public knowledge, this increases the imbalance of knowledge (which already inherently favors the seller--they know more about the product than the buyer does because they usually make it).

1. Olius

Agree with every word, especially what you say about knowledge on both sides.

I know little of US law, I can only speak for how things are in the UK.

Because the knowledge is never perfect, and because customers and employees alike can be coerced through MANY means to sign contracts, we have things in our contract-law which try to correct these imperfections.

In a perfect system, every person applying for a job would have the ability to turn it down for any reason and take a different one instead and still be able to pay the bills throughout the whole process. This rarely happens in any profession, for any person - one takes what one can get. So your choice is "take the job and sign the contract" or "don't take the job, and have no job (hopefully for only a short time until the next one comes along in time to pay the bills)"

So if the only job on offer in your niche industry comes with a contract containing a clause which means that if you leave or get sacked, you can't get another job - because the only other jobs in your niche industry are with competitors, and your contract contains an anti-compete clause - this would be unfair: it would deny you work.

So we have contract law which says that such a clause in a private contract is unlawful because it would be unfair, because it would be signing away a deeper right.

As I said earlier, I know only the basics of this. But I suspect this came from court cases over contracts (civil law) rather than from our parliament. So this example probably isn't "govt oversight". But I hope it is a good example of where the legal system can step in to keep people honest - so that they cannot coerce people in to signing away basic human rights.

If this kind of thing didn't exist, then people (employers or otherwise) would be able to coerce others in to signing contracts which essentially say "You are now my bitch". In my example, one employer would be able to stop you from ever working again, via that non-compete clause. Contract law should not be able to trump other laws or rights.

1. Charles 9

"If this kind of thing didn't exist, then people (employers or otherwise) would be able to coerce others in to signing contracts which essentially say "You are now my bitch". In my example, one employer would be able to stop you from ever working again, via that non-compete clause. Contract law should not be able to trump other laws or rights."

So noted, but businesses are bigger and richer than your average person as well as more focused, so they tend to have greater influence over legislators. Which is why legislation in the long run tends to favor them barring something "going too far" and either triggering a crisis or raising public outcry. I think in this case it's the last: increasing outcry forced their hand before things got taken to the courts, which are (at the moment) more people-friendly-versus-business.

2. Mark 85

@Olius -- Re: What a world

Here in the States, non-compete clauses in employee contracts are pretty much useless in many industries and professions. The courts will find for the employee. However, many employees fear that the employer will take them to court and tie them up for years and thus deprive them of income. The employee is basically screwed in that even if they win, they've lost the time the court case takes. So it's a gamble... try it and maybe your former employer will take you court and maybe they won't.

1. Charles 9

Re: @Olius -- What a world

"The employee is basically screwed in that even if they win, they've lost the time the court case takes."

Isn't that countered with punitive damage settlements which can take hardships (such as being out of work) into consideration?

2. ecofeco Silver badge

a similar tirade against a private individual company, or company policy is NOT similarly protected under the US constitution.

Yes it is. Ruling after ruling has said that you CANNOT under any circumstances, sign away your Constitutional rights. Yet U.S. businesses continually try.

1. Charles 9

But those rights aren't constitutional. The Bill of Rights only protects you against government encroachment of your rights. They say nothing about private encroachment of your rights when it's just between the two of you.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have no comment

See title

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder if this law can be used to finally publish comparative performance reviews of Oracle DB?

Or Ferrari cars for that matter (they wont let you review one if it's going to be tested against another manufacturers vehicles).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This could be trickier, I think, because I believe they attach the condition that they can ONLY review Ferrari cars if they review ONLY Ferrari cars. Trying to review a competing car results in Breach of Contract and you're blacklisted. This could be construed as different from not being able to post a negative review about a vehicle; rather, it's an inability to post ANY review about a competing vehicle: good or bad, and would probably have to be settled in a court first.

2. e^iπ+1=0

Ferrari

"Or Ferrari cars for that matter (they wont let you review one if it's going to be tested against another manufacturers vehicles)."

I know there had been some kind of a kerfuffle which impeded the 3 car comparison which finally happened in the first episode of The Grand Tour, but didn't they make it in the end?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Ferrari

Perhaps they were willing to take the penalty and simply say this will be the LAST Ferrari they will ever be able to review. Just speculating.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon