back to article Learn your way round the Internet of Things in a day? Course you can...

We’ve added two more workshops to the agenda for the third day of Building IoT London, giving you even more opportunities to get down and dirty with the Internet of Things. The Eclipse Foundation’s Benjamin Cabe will be taking you from the theory of sensing the world through to designing intelligent objects and connecting and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wow...

..one day...of which 0.00009 seconds will be spent on security.

1. Chris King

Re: Wow...

0.00009 seconds - that long, huh ?

Looking at some of the "bag-of-spanners" embedded and IoT systems I've encountered previously, I find myself wondering if the developers even got a day of training before being set to work !

1. getHandle
        Joke

> Looking at some of the "bag-of-spanners"...

Thought you were talking about the attendees there for a moment!

2. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Joke

@Lost all faith...

..one day...of which 0.00009 seconds will be spent on security.

Shirely there will be security at the door checking accreditation to prevent gate crashers to the event? That will take a few thousand milliseconds.

3. KitD

2700 secs allocated for it.

http://www.buildingiot.london/sessions/privacy-challenges-with-iot-implementations/

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Step 1 - Do not use IoT

Step 2 - Pub....

1. Tom 7

Re: Step 1 - Do not use IoT

Step 3. Don't spend money on courses in London when they cost more than hiring in the experience if you dont live in the diesel polluted brain drain.

Step 4. Spend money saved in pub.

3. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

Ctrl-F'd the comments - no mention of the eponymous fridge yet. Still, early days...

1. toxicdragon
      Pint

Fridge!

Happy now?

Beer cause Holiday!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Register

No longer biting the hand that feeds IT, but rolled over for tummy rubs.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: The Register

"Purrr......"

Is that a vulture I hear?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: The Register

No, a budgie...

5. James 36

Optional

I think IOT should be renamed to IOVT

Internet of Vulnerable Things

more accurate and should bring some worry with it

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Optional

Because despite billions of existing devices, you seen to have made that name up from a small percentage of devices from a few dodgy vendors.

2. GreyWolf

Re: Optional

Try IoIT

Internet of Irrelevant Things

Nobody really wants IoT, there is no killer app, and the whole sector is a graveyard of good companies (see Ciseco for an example0.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Let me fix that for you...

"Building IoT London"

Don't you mean: "Building IoBn London"? The Internet of Botnets?

7. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Mite be cool

Before coming to the workshop, please, install Oracle VM VirtualBox and Vagrant. Also, please download and install the virtual machine which will be used for the course (about 5GB), using the following commands from an empty folder (if you do not have wget on your machine, you can download the json file using your browser):

Level sounds good.

8. Voland's right hand Silver badge

The anatomy of an IoT device

Based on reverse engineering and figuring the firewall settings of a Revotech camera I recently bought from Amazon:

1. Report to Chinese mothership immediately after boot. The Chinese have to know the location of all Western Europeans dumb enough to buy tat like this

2. Report to Chinese backdoor, sorry application developer after boot

3. Try to open in the user firewall a hole 20m wide through which half of the Internet can get in onto the user's network

4. DDOS a chinese educational network ntp server to get the time from it.

5. If the user has not installed at least one vulnerable browser plugin, throw him out back onto the login page. A security conscious person is not a good purchaser of IoT tat.

Looking at this, frankly, conferences and workshops are not useful. What is needed is a ZPU4 and a truck of ammo.

9. FluffyERug

Oh for gods sake I wish they would stop trying to teach people who really don't care about tech about tech.

10. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Happy

Robots...

There's a mention of workshops in this conference

http://www.gold.ac.uk/news/love-and-sex-with-robots-2016/

I imagine there will be an opportunity for some hands-on electronic circuit fiddling

11. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

I wonder...

If some of the more adventerous hackers might get a representative into the event.

Then they can gather all the names and companies of the attendees so that those companies can be targetted in the future

Don't you just love those nametags......

This topic is closed for new posts.