back to article Kentucky pried chicken: Fried grease chain's loyalty club hacked

Anti-artery campaigners KFC have urged 1.2 million customers in its Colonel’s Club loyalty scheme in the UK to ditch their account passwords for new ones after its site was hacked. The club includes an app that lets fried grease fans login and collect Chicken Stamps to “earn ... free food rewards.” Today, KFC sent an email …

1. redpawn

Increased Security

The typical "increased security" is having a ready PR statement rather than having to come up with one and ready email advice to change your password.

Don't expect much.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Increased Security

I always read "increased security" to mean; "we didn't have anyone to do IT security before, but we will hire one shortly." Also, "they cost real money and we just want to sell more dead birds, so fuck it, we'll pay for one guy. ARE YOU HAPPY NOW, you ungrateful fowl feasters!"

When in the US, check out the much better Popeye's Chicken. They have more interesting sides, and a nice spicy choice as well.

Last time I was at a KFC they could not put together a tiny dead-bird sandwich without fucking it up in several way.

Chick-a-fool is dead rats disguised as birds. This is a FACT :)

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Oh, okay. Can I have fries with that?

3. ecofeco Silver badge

I'm pretty sure it means having the "social media" department go through more security slide shows orientation training.

2. Kaltern

I'm pretty sure 'The Colonel' didn't say anything, seeing as he's long kicked the bucket.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

@Kaltern

Probably because he had a coronary self-testing a bucket of extra crispy. :)

(Icon shows what happens when you ignite the calories found in a bucket of extra crispy KFC. Its like Deepwater Horizon!)

2. MJI Silver badge

Was not in military

So call him Mr

3. Anonymous Blowhard

"I'm pretty sure 'The Colonel' didn't say anything, seeing as he's long kicked the bucket."

All this talk of KFC buckets is making me a bit peckish; damn this pre-Christmas diet!!!

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Kaltern; Am I the only one visualising a mummified corpse deep within KFC headquarters and a Norman Bates-type setup where management continues to receive "advice" from the Colonel 36 years after his death?

3. Terry 6 Silver badge
    Unhappy

KFC loyalty card

KFC Loyalty card. No. Just No!

1. tin 2

Re: KFC loyalty card

Oh I disagree profusely!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: KFC loyalty card

Pwnage Card is more like it.

But you gotta have it or you don't get more buck for the cluck.

I mean, more cluck for the buck.

Whatever it is, you get a lot of it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Whatever it is, you get a lot of it.

Grease is the word.

4. John H Woods Silver badge

I remember ...

In a "what questions could have changed history?" segment on ISIHAC, I remember one contestant saying:

"Colonel Sanders: Look, you guys will tell me if this tastes like crap, won't you?"

1. Mark 85

Re: I remember ...

As I recall through the mists of time.. the original stuff when the Colonel owned the company was pretty good. When Heublein bought the company, they kept him on for PR and also changed the recipes. HIs tirades while he was on the road doing "PR" were great as he railed about those "booze makers not knowing diddley about chicken. Yeah.. it's not good or even food in my book anymore.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: I remember ...

Since The Matrix we know that the existence of KFC chicken is a sign that we are in VR.

5. Andy Non Silver badge
    Coat

When asked about their poor security, KFC gave a

poultry excuse.

1. Professor Clifton Shallot

Re: When asked about their poor security, KFC gave a

Frankly I think they are winging it.

2. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: When asked about their poor security, KFC gave a

That was one fowl pun.

6. HieronymusBloggs

Just goes to show

Just goes to show the importance of keeping up with colonel security updates.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just goes to show

Maybe KFC has a custom shell and the black hats kept pecking at it till it cracked.

Now who would hatch such a fowl plot? I bet it's that old ruski, "Bantam" Vlad!

7. VinceH

"As this type of problem is becoming more common online, we’ve now introduced additional security measures to further safeguard our members’ accounts and to stop this kind of thing happening again.”

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Grumble, grumble, Reg not as cutting as it used to be

C'mon, you could have opportunistically deployed terms like hambeasts, salad-dodgers, lard-munchers, et al.

Or you could have just used a better picture for the article. Something like this.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Grumble, grumble, Reg not as cutting as it used to be

"hambeasts, salad-dodgers, lard-munchers"

So you'd like us to write like a cliched parody of the Sunday Sport? OK, thanks, noted. Thanks for the feedback. GET IT – FEEDBACK?? RIGHT, FANS????

C.

9. Stevie

Bah!

"What's the matter Colonel Sanders? CHICKEN?"

D. Helmet.

10. Pen-y-gors

Security?

If you use the same email address and password across other services, you should also reset them, just to be safe. don't, just don't.

FTFY

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More account hacks

I think I'd be more ashamed to have my data in a KFC loyalty club breach than the Ashley Madison breach. Membership in one implies you have trouble controlling your more base desires. Membership in the other implies you like sex.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Since when does a human being need to imply liking sex ?

Even those with extremely rare (and likely painful) conditions like sex, they just can't partake in it like the majority. And science needs to cure that.

12. a_yank_lurker

Loyalty Program?

Why?

1. mics39
      Facepalm

Re: Loyalty Program?

Really, what worthwhile information can be obtained from members of this loyalty program?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Additional security measures

As this type of problem is becoming more common online, we’ve now introduced additional security measures to further safeguard our members’ accounts and to stop this kind of thing happening again.”

We bought a sticker that says 'certified and validated' and stuck it on the machine.

The secret reciepe: soak chicken in milk overnight, dip in flour mixed with spices, deep fry in pressure cooker for 30 minutes. Place chicken in cold room, half fry readymade chips. On an order of chicken and chips, microwave chicken and quick fry the chips, then serve up - bon appétit.

14. chivo243 Silver badge
    Facepalm

Light duty

For that mailserver.... sending messages out to both users of the poultry game. Seriously how many people frequent the Col enough to earn points?

15. Arachnoid

Hacking?

Maybe they were after the secret source!

16. MJI Silver badge

Make McDonalds look like quality food

Greasy fatty chicken which has died of old age.

I don't understand why it is so popular

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only 30?

Regardless what has happened, well done to KFC for telling -everyone- when only 30 accounts have been hacked. I can think of many a company that would have kept quiet until it hit the millions.

That's the kind of openness that stops stuff like this becoming a real issue.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Trollface

I would agree, except for the fact that KFC only has 60 accounts.

18. FuzzyTheBear
    Boffin

An alternate

Since publishing the original reciepe ( Chicago Tribune ) a lot of folks like me have took the opportunity to refine the technique and actually do a better ,healthier fried chicken than what they do.

IMHO There is no need to go there at all since we got the reciepe and what it yields is a better product.

Turn your kitchen in a lab for a few days , experiment with the formulas ,changing oil temps , fine tuning the herbs and spices to your liking and for you too it will be adios KFC . Free your mind ... and at the same time .. free your stomach of their absolutely toxic chicken.

1. Swarthy

Re: An alternate

The taste of the chicken is not horrible (not good, but not completely wretched); the thing that put me off of KFC forever is that last time I went, every piece of chicken had broken bones. I don't know if the abuse was pre-, peri-, or postmortem; but any of those is too disturbing for me to trust their food handling.

19. ecofeco Silver badge

Every day

Every damn day.

This will not end well.

20. gregthecanuck
    Trollface

A huge thigh of relief...

... was heard in Canada when learning this issue only affected KFCUK.

Please keep us abreast of these issues and beat the security drum. I will stick with them for now. Just don't wing it in future.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like