back to article Japanese robot space maid will incinerate Earth's dead satellites

Good news: the latest resupply mission to the International Space Station has taken off without exploding or any of that kind of nonsense. Even better news: it is carrying 5.9 metric tons (6.5 US tons) of cargo, including a rather unusual device that boffins believe could be a great tool for dealing with space junk. After the …

1. mics39
    Boffin

Space junk

It's always the smaller countries that get saddled with American and Russian junk, isn't it?

2. DNTP

Short fiction about electrotethering

A short near-future story about the potential of electrotethering for orbital insertion and maneuvering.

David Brin- Tank Farm Dynamo

The Japanese engineers are applying the concept of "anything that can maneuver prograde, can also retrograde."

3. agurney

That article makes more sense than the BBC's 'Japan tests innovative magnetic tether for slowing space junk' ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-38265676 ) .. which implies only removing the (probably very) few ferrous bits of crud that are up there.

1. cd

Late the beeb seems written and laid out by fuckwits. I read a para and the same words are repeated in larger type right below it. Further down, there's larger type I haven't read, until later when it shows up in the article itself, this time in the correct logical place instead of several lines ahead. I imagine that the kind of people who read newspapers with small pages and large type find it useful to only read the large bits.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

That's due to the current fad of trying to make oneself look intelligent by extracting "key phrases" and making them into headers. Allows for the TLDN crowd to skim those and pretend that they read the article - enough to criticize it anyway, which is the only thing that kind can do.

There are some who even do that in these hallowed halls.

I'm hoping that this fad will fade away, but I'm also hoping that people will finally learn the difference between there, they're and their and other such modern literary nuisances. I'm stupid like that.

1. phuzz Silver badge
          Headmaster

Those 'key phrases' in larger type are called "pull quotes", (as the quotation is 'pulled out' of it's place in the body of the text) and they've been around since the 60's* about as long as this new-fangled internet fad.

* The phrase seems to date from the 1970's, but I've found examples from the 1960's at least. For some reason no one ever seems to have recorded the history of the pull quote, so I can't give you an exact figure.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ground Hog Day

Thats the new name for BBC news, thankfully there are alternatives.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

...and six lithium-ion battery orbital replacement units

So you can't transport batteries on a plane but you can put them on a really big rocket, subject them to radiation, vacuum and 170 million "flecks of paint" space junk travelling at thousands of Mph. Hope that junk collector works.

hope the cells weren't from Galaxy Note's.

1. stizzleswick
      Boffin

Re: ...and six lithium-ion battery orbital replacement units

The way I understand it, the Li-Ion cells used for the ISS are not of the kind used for most mobes or the Boeing 787. There are two basic technologies, one saving some weight (which is why Boeing used it, only to have several planes go up in flames) and the other being more stable. I will assume the latter technology is being used to resupply the ISS.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: hope the cells weren't from Galaxy Note's

I think that, if our mobile phones had space-rated batteries, there would be a lot less reporting of said batteries blowing up.

There would also be a lot less people with mobile phones, given the cost of said batteries - which might not be a bad thing after all.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: hope the cells weren't from Galaxy Note's

As I understand it, it wasn't a problem with the Galaxy batteries pe se; it was that they didn't have enough room in the case to expand and the pressure caused was damaging them.

5. joed

ton of bs (off topic)

I've had this sneaky feeling that something got to be fishy with the ton. This metric moniker showing here and there could not be a good sign. I'd never followed up on my suspicion though (figured that US ton was just 1000lbs). Now that everything is clear (thanks The Register) I can't even say I'm particularly surprised. US, the land of cheats (and dirty trick). 4 by 4, gallon, pure "anything" and now the ton. Our entrepreneurs will always find the way to cut some corners (and sell you less for more).

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Re: ton of bs (off topic)

Huh? Is it hard to find out that a U.S./Imperial ton is 2000 lbs., and that translates to about 91% of a metric ton (1000 Kg, or about 2200 lbs.)?

1. Magani
        Headmaster

Huh? Is it hard to find out that a U.S./Imperial ton is 2000 lbs...

Yes, it's hard to find because it's wrong. US and Imperial tons (like US and Imperial gallons) are different.

I think you'll find that an Imperial ton is 2240lbs, a short ton (US usage) is 2000lbs and a metric ton (or tonne) is 1000kgs or 2204.6lbs.

You might want to stick to marketing.

1. Down not across

The article claims 600 litres to be 105 gallons. I wonder what those gallons are as AFAIK 600 litres equates to just shy of 132 gallons.

1. keith_w

the volume converter in the calculator on Windows 10 says that 600 L is approx 158.5032 US Gallons, or .78 Cubic Yards or .6 Cubic meters or1.59 Bathtubs. For a check, I converted 1 gallon US to liters which shows 3.785412 L, 0.83 UK Gallons or 16 coffee cups.

2. x 7

whats a ton in terms of real weight/mass such as elephant turds? Or should that be eturds?

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Lord It's Hard To Be Happy When You're Not Using The Metric System. Why not use units of 10 an convert with ease? All cool stuff is in metrics anyway.

Let's make America metric again!

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Why not standardise on Base 12 for more divisors? 10 doesn't split easily into quarters or thirds, for instance.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
          Alien

Reticulans, please!

2. swm

"Lord It's Hard To Be Happy When You're Not Using The Metric System. Why not use units of 10 an convert with ease? All cool stuff is in metrics anyway."

The speed of light is about 1 foot per nanosecond.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

I always though the metric ton was spelled tonne. CBA to look it up though :-)

6. Graham Marsden
    Coat

When you said "Robot Space Maid"...

... I was thinking...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQAvMUUJr4

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Fatman
        Thumb Up

Re: When you said "Robot Space Maid"...

I upvoted him one on your behalf.

2. KBeee

Re: When you said "Robot Space Maid"...

I was thinking... Planetes

7. Winkypop Silver badge
    Joke

Crafty Japanese

Deploying fishing nets in space, going for space whales no doubt.

I hear Sea Shepherd are developing a new (space) ship too.

8. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Joke

James Dyson

Perhaps he will come up with a "Vacuum" Cleaner for Space

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Re: James Dyson

Prior art: Spaceballs.

9. Martin an gof Silver badge

Seems a bit odd

...to be testing a system for dealing with space junk, but then leave the key component of it up there adding to the problem.

Just watched the video (hint: turn the sound off) and it seems as if before the cargo capsule is finally de-orbited they are going to release the "KITE" and its tether to float around in orbit for goodness knows how long. I dare say the drag of the device would make de-orbiting the cargo capsule a bit more unpredictable, but couldn't they release the tether after firing the rockets, and thus bring it down separately too?

M.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Re: Seems a bit odd

There is enough atmosphere at the altitude the experiment is conducted that a low mass high drag item like the cable will have a "lifetime" measured in months at most. Probably only a few weeks. Even the ISS is skimming the top of the atmosphere and needs frequent reboosting to keep it in orbit.

10. Pollik

Couple this with working EM Drives, and we might be able to have longlifed cleaners in space.

11. Your alien overlord - fear me
    Mushroom

So the Japanese are building kamikaze devices for space now? What, too soon?

12. Pen-y-gors

But, but, but...

If the ultimate gadget weighs 40-odd kilos, and can manoevure to attach itself to a dead satellite, couldn't it just have a small rocket and 35 kg of propellant and de-orbit in the normal manner? Is this a clever solution in search of a problem?

1. notowenwilson

Re: But, but, but...

35kg of propellant isn't enough to de-orbit a satellite weighing many tonnes but it's plenty to drive around space with a tiny little fishing net satellite.

What's more interesting is what happens when we start deorbiting satellites and the process takes months to complete, and there is zero guarantee as to whether it's going to land in the middle of the ocean, or on a major city.

1. Steve Aubrey

"zero guarantee as to whether it's going to land in the middle of the ocean, or on a major city"

Au contraire - I think it is definitely guaranteed to land in the middle of the ocean, or on a major city.

It's the only movie scenario that makes sense. Landing in the veldt, or the steppes, or just offshore, or in suburbia - those things are never mentioned, and probably wouldn't make the news if it did.

Reference: "Small earthquake in Chile — not many killed".

2. cray74

35kg of propellant isn't enough to de-orbit a satellite weighing many tonnes

Hmm. For a storable liquid, bipropellant rocket of typical performance (330 sec^-1 specific impulse), 35kg would provide an 11m/s delta-V to a 10-ton satellite; 23m/s for a 5-ton satellite; and 57m/s for a 2-ton satellite. In low Earth orbit, an apogee burn of 23m/s might be enough to kiss the atmosphere. It wouldn't help much at geosynchronous, but could your satellite to a higher graveyard orbit.

What's more interesting is what happens when we start deorbiting satellites and the process takes months to complete, and there is zero guarantee as to whether it's going to land in the middle of the ocean, or on a major city.

I would guess the opposite. With months of time you have months to fiddle with the current pumped through the tether, thus varying acceleration, thus allowing navigation to a preferred disposal site - e.g., at sea. The potential accelerations are on par with ion engines: low, but useful.

13. David Pollard

Fleming's left hand rule?

Since reading the article I've been puzzling about the direction in which the force appears. Fleming's rule says it will be at right angles to the direction of current flow and at right angles to the movement of the wire carrying the current through the magnetic field. Won't the force on the wire be sideways, causing the wire to bow and pulling the weight at the end back towards the satellite?

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Eddies in the wire

Moving a conductive item through a magnetic field creates eddy currents that directly resist the motion.

I did a short investigation of the effect at school, more years ago than I care to mention. The force is small, but measurable with schoolkid-level kit.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Eddies in the wire

Eddie's in the Time-Space continuum...

"Is He?"

2. Jan 0 Silver badge
        Boffin

Hmm, "more years ago than I care to mention" permanent magnets were puny things. Now, today, if I can just prise this neodymium magnet off this steel table, let me show you how quickly it falls through this vertical copper pipe.

Non caveat: Try this at home with your kids.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Prising them off the table, or dropping the kids down a copper tube?

2. cray74

Re: Fleming's left hand rule?

Won't the force on the wire be sideways, causing the wire to bow and pulling the weight at the end back towards the satellite?

In the absence of other forces, yes. However, tidal effects in space try to orient long objects such that they remain pointed at Earth's core - a tether will orient itself radially outward from Earth. A 700-meter tether won't have a lot of tidal force acting on it, but it's something to help maintain the orientation of the tether. Operational designs would use 5,000 to 10,000 meters of tether, which would magnify the tidal loads.

14. cosymart
    WTF?

Nets.....

Just watched the Video (sound off) and found it very interesting.... Couldn't spot the nets, given the hype about the nets wtf are they?

1. cray74

Re: Nets.....

Just watched the Video (sound off) and found it very interesting.... Couldn't spot the nets,

They're the cable you saw in the video. The cable is made of mesh by a fishing net company. It isn't a net itself.

given the hype about the nets wtf are they?

The Register recently had an article explaining them. Quoting: "KITE has been built to demonstrate electrodynamic tethering, whereby unshielded metallic lines extended in space pick up an electrical charge as they move through Earth's magnetic field. The principle has been used before to generate power, but now scientists want to try attaching a tether to larger pieces of space junk to de-orbit them."

15. Bamboozled

All they need is Mega Maid from Spaceballs...

16. JJKing
    Facepalm

Litres, Imp Gals, US Gals, Reg Units

The article claims 600 litres to be 105 gallons. I wonder what those gallons are as AFAIK 600 litres equates to just shy of 132 gallons.

Or 150 US gallons. About time to do away with this silliness and convert it to the internationally recognise Reg Units.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Re: Litres, Imp Gals, US Gals, Reg Units

So just about 350 Bulgarian Funbags and 1 Bulgarian Airbag. (Thats about a chickens egg too much, but it'll do)

17. Kirstian K
    Angel

But why not

We hear in the news: the hard part of space is getting stuff up there.

followed by: water / materials better off in space as dont have to transport up there etc etc.

so logically why incinerate the stuff, why not stockpile it and re-cycle in space (a space junk yard if you will). strikes me a LOT of that material could be re-used.

I suppose i get that millitary items may want to be incinerated for security reasons / secrecy, but you get what i mean.

18. anothercynic Silver badge

SpaceX have *NOT* lost a customer

Stop trying to be misleading.

Inmarsat has *NOT* quit using SpaceX. The *only* launch that has been moved from SpaceX to ArianeSpace is the EAN 'condosat' with Hellas-Sat in January. Inmarsat-5 F4 and beyond will still be shifted to space by SpaceX.

19. Anonymous C0ward

Japanese robot space maid will incinerate Earth's dead satellites

And this new anime is out when?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like