back to article Brexflation hits Lenovo's Phab2

Any prospective buyers in Britain wanting to slip a Lenovo Phab2 Pro into a loved one’s stocking this Chrimbo will have to dig deeper than folk in the US or mainland Europe, much deeper. The smartphone and phablet family, which includes Tango, a new tech from Google that runs augmented reality gaming and utilities, was put on …

1. lukewarmdog

Meh

Like all the "unfair" re-pricings that have been mentioned on this site recently, if nobody buys any more of the whatever it is being highlighted this week, sellers will be forced down the DFS permanent sale route and all will go back to being well with this part of the world.

With regards to the Phab2, the most cursory of searches brings up an article (android police) that says it's not a very good phone running an OS that isn't consumer ready. I'd put it to the readership therefore that the number of people affected by this price imbalance is going to be minimal because there's better things to slip into a loved one's stocking this Chrimbo.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Meh

if nobody buys any more of the whatever it is being highlighted this week

Never mind what's highlighted - remember the names of the guilty companies, so that next time you're buying anything, this can be added to the criteria for choice.

Of course, by the time you've taken account of unethical practices, slavers,child labour, conflict minerals, tax dodging, Brexploitation, polluters, data loss or surveillance. and ownership by repressive governments you'll find that most forms of technology are off the menu.....

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

How far back does Brexploitation go?

I remember people whining that the exchange rate was £=$ for tech goods 30 years ago. Back then I just imported stuff from Germany. With a bit of care, you could get a UK keyboard layout and en-US BIOS error messages with a non-ripoff exchange rate. I thought stuff was more expensive in the UK because most Brits were too lazy to find a good deal. Perhaps I was completely wrong and it was Brexploitation 30 years ago too.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How far back does Brexploitation go?

Perhaps I was completely wrong and it was Brexploitation 30 years ago too.

Probably. There's always been a big element of charging what any market will pay, and with reduced options to pop across the border (compared to say France, Belgium, Germany, Netherlands) the UK is geographically set up to be ripped off. And (to an extent irrespective of the Euro) because France extends down to Spain and Italy, it becomes difficult to set regional prices in larger countries, or to try and have one price for Northern Europe and another for Southern Europe.

There's something else relating to this long term markup which is that UK distribution chains have persistently had higher costs than many apparently comparable economies. I recall some academic research that concluded the underlying cause was that property prices were higher. At first thought property seems like a small part of the cost build for flogging imported tat, but the thing about our high property costs (strongly linked to planning policy and population density) is that they of course affect everything - the land value for a shipping terminal, the costs of the domestic haulage company, the importer's own office costs, warehouse costs, the costs external professional services have to recover, the cost of the retailer's premises etc.

YMMV, but I think that property and an island constrained market are a big contributer to the longer term GB markup.

1. Infernoz Bronze badge

I don't buy the property price argument, because you can fit loads of boxes of devices on pallets on a multi-level pallet rack in a warehouse, so any extra costs should be trivial. If the property price argument had any validity then bulky foods would be a lot more expensive!

1. MR J

Yea, the property price shouldn't be an issue unless they are only selling small amounts over the whole year. Of course, the media price in the UK for a home is something like $293k, in the US it is $189k. I am sure such stats like that show that UK punters must have more money to throw at "Stuff" and they try to price it accordingly.

I also have to wonder if they are looking at making up money that may have been lost during the currency devaluation that happened earlier.

What will happen with the warranty for these units once BREXIT Happens?... I know a few people that work in the legal area of Health and Safety and they are having to sit back on jobs because writing documentation for a business that wants a revamp over the next 12-18 months means that once you have done you work all the rules might change. I am not saying that uncertainty is something Lenovo is trying to cost out, but It is possible. If anything we should be getting cheaper goods because all indications are that the gov wants to go with the US model of consumer protection - virtually none at all.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How far will Brexploitationploitation go?

Gods, I should come whine here every time I notice something is cheaper in the UK than here in France.

4. sandman

More to come

I'll take the role of a hypothetical foreign seller of stuff. I notice that the pound has devalued somewhat, so I charge extra to cover my loss of profit. Of course I'll add a bit, hopefully you won't notice that. (Oh, if I make stuff in the UK I'll be paying more for bits from foreign - so will do the same). Later on, any change to trade policies will obviously affect me (even if they won't, but hey, let's not waste an opportunity). I'll look doleful and put the prices up again. Finally, I'll add that little bit. Since everyone else will be doing the same, you won't even be able to single me out, unless you want to stop buying stuff. Oh, that will include food by the way - just saying.

For those of us old enough, remember the price rises when we switched to decimal currency?

5. MrRimmerSIR!

I don't understand

Surely the cost in GBP (before taxes) should be the SAME as the cost in USD (before taxes), otherwise it would just be a case of the manufacturer ripping us off. Oh.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I don't understand

Surely the cost in GBP (before taxes) should be the SAME as the cost in USD (before taxes), otherwise it would just be a case of the manufacturer ripping us off. Oh.

Err, no... I'll agree with the thrust of the article, but it does over simplifiy things.

If you do manufacture everything in the one factory, you have the shipping costs to the other countries.

If you don't, you'll have a different cost of manufacture. (Labour cost differences, tax differences (Not just on the VAT/sales tax) and local subsidies, for example)

Certification costs may be different for different countries, but that'll probably be put as part of the R&D budget for the product and shared across the different countries.

Also, some countries may need different versions of or extra components to comply with local regulations. (These are tablets and it shouldn't be the case but - for instance - mobile phones have different radio standards to deal with, set top boxes have different tuners standards and the PS3 had a hardware PS2 support in the states and a cheaper software emulation solution in Europe - because of the guaranteed life time of the chips for the US solution)

I've even heard of phones, for instance,sharing a schematic, the software and a case that have different PCB layouts depending on the site doing the final part of production. IIRC, this was all for the same sales region. (In which case if you got one from one site, it'd be fine - if you got one from another, it may be problematic due to the different layout - I don't know why you'd do that, though)

The difference of 97 euroes does seem to be "a bit high". (And we should be comparing the UK/Europe prices - similar or same regulations and certification processes, probably the same factories being used, shipping cost differences should be minimal)

6. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Stop

Apples, oranges ?

I seem to recall that the US generally has a more diverse consumer protection landscape which permits manufacturers to sell cheap, whereas the UKs consumer legislation requires a higher price to cover it.

Remember, most goods should be covered by a 6-year presumption of quality. SOMEONE has to pay for that ....

7. Olius

Do these laptops magically appear in the UK, or have international courier costs gone up by around the same amount that the pound has fallen?

I wonder if the UK branch has any debts to the US parent co that might need UK prices to go up to service the debt at the current/old levels?

Just thought I'd chuck those in there to help (or hinder) the moaning ;-)

1. Paul

These devices are all made in China and either flown in or come by boat in a container, probably to Rotterdam and/or Harwich.

There shouldn't really be more than 10% variation across Europe.

If you do try to buy the phab2 pro smartphone off one of the Lenovo European shops, they'll only let you enter that country as a shipping address.

8. Fihart

It's a Marmite moment.

Brexploitation first surfaced (in my field of view anyway) with those buggers at Unilever causing an increase in the retail price of a big Marmite jar from £4 to £4.50, provoking outrage at Tesco.

Interestingly (or not depending on your taste for savoury spreads), Sainsbury's seemed to stop stocking that size almost immediately and their boss made a point of saying that they'd maintained the old price on smaller packs. Waitrose just went on selling it at £4, though perhaps their upmarket customers simply don't much stoop to such low foodstuffs and price will rise as new stock eventually comes in.

There have been claims that own-brand spreads were gaining market share as Marmite lovers turned to alternatives -- but, having tried one of those, I wouldn't fancy a repeat purchase and Vegemite, which I haven't seen on shelves lately, was even worse (and made by the hated Kraft/Mondelez).

This doesn't have much to do with Lenovo, except that a few weeks ago Argos knocked a tenner off the price of the decent Lenovo 7 inch Tab, bringing it down to an irresistible £50.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What has Lenovo ever done for the UK ???

Let's ban Lenovo from selling in the UK and take all the savings and put it into the National Health Fund.

Sounds REAL smart :)

Let's celebrate this achievement with a few bottles of italian Prosecco. Oh, wait ....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like