back to article Google found a way to go after 400 MEEELLION new users this week

Google this week added Hindi to the languages spoken by its "Allo" digital assistance service, the company's Siri-and-Cortana competitor. The Register fancies this is a pretty significant thing to have done, because the world has about 400 million Hindi speakers in India alone, with plenty concentrated in states like Bihar …

1. Ruli Manurung

"Google this week added Hindi to the languages spoken by its Voice Assistant".

Err, source?

1. zanshin

A Google search for "google hindi assistant" turns up scads of hits on it, some several days old.

https://www.blog.google/products/allo/say-ola-and-namaste-your-assistant-google-allo/

1. Ruli Manurung

Yes, I'm aware of that. But that post doesn't contain the word 'voice' even once :-)

1. zanshin

Ah, you're quite correct, Ruli. At least Nougat versions of Allo do have voice recognition for speaking to the Assistant built in, but on review, it's not clear that this is what the Google blog article that I linked (and that seems like the root source of this El Reg article) is talking about.

2. Magani
    Happy

Namaste, Google-Ji.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Ok Google, Show me nearby fields for pooping"

-probable candidate of most asked question in India.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"In India 490 million people or one third of the population practise open defecation(pooping in open field without proper cleaning method)."-Wikipedia.

In big cities and in workplace when many do use toilet, many people usually don't flash or even don't wash hands"

-https://www.quora.com/Do-Indian-people-really-shit-in-streets

So I agree with the guy who said Indians might use google assistant to search nearby fields:-)

It's probably a religious thing cause in my country where most Hindus use toilet, even they like to poop in nearby Asram(Hindu temple with big area) field when they go there for religious festival. When usable good toilet are available.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I can testify that all the Hindu's I know always use a toilet.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I can testify that all the Hindu's I know always use a toilet."

I can counter-testify that its not uncommon for colleagues visting our workplace from India to not fully understand how to use our bathrooms. Apart from the one or two results of unusual pooping practices we've encountered, it has been observed that some simply aren't used to the ritual of washing hands before leaving the bathroom.

I'm not meaning any disrespect to Indians here, of which I have numerous fine colleagues - merely confirming that we have cultural differences in our approach to bathrooms.

2. MiguelC Silver badge

I, for once, am glad they don't flash after using the toilet

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

""Ok Google, Show me nearby fields for pooping"

-probable candidate of most asked question in India."

Your guess just came true man!

http://fortune.com/2016/12/23/google-toilet-locator-india/

4. RyokuMas
    Devil

"'Allo' Siri-and-Cortana competitor now speaks Hindi"

... and probably can listen in on, analyse, and send home data extracted from conversations in Hindi, I would imagine.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All it takes now is ..

.. for someone to now suggest that Google has used a light dusting of cow in the plastic of its products and its server farms and we'd be in for an interesting weekend :)

Have a good one, everyone.

6. Fink-Nottle

Call Centre Reflex

'Allo Google, how may I help you today?

7. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like