back to article Brit telco EE's ads banned for 'misleading' 4G speed claims

Brit mobile provider EE has had to remove a number of TV, homepage and press ads for advertising "misleading" 4G speeds. Rival Three and two members of the public complained to the Advertising Standards Authority that a number of speeds claims made were misleading and questioned whether they could be substantiated. On its …

1. wolfetone Silver badge
    Coat

EE will apologise for misleading 4G speed claims, but they won't apologise for the image of Kevin Bacon in a red PVC body suit?

Oh wait, I just looked at the calendar. It's still 2016, this sort of thing is allowed aparently.

1. Mark 85

I need some mind bleach for that....

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Advertising Standards Authority

ASA = Industry Self-Regulation = Chocolate Fireguard.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's Like Deja-Vu All Over Again

"the ads must not appear again in their current form"

Exactly the same. Every. F*****. Time.

As I've said before in similar form on numerous occasions:-

"The ASA... ah, yes. The advertising industry's self-regulation chocolate teapot, "that ad campaign which you ran several months ago and is long since finished anyway was misleading and shouldn't appear again in that form, which is irrelevant since you've long since replaced it with some other misleading ads instead. Also here's a token rebuke"

In fact, even the specifics of this case are deja-vu, since Talk Talk made similar bullshit claims a couple of years back, were similarly slapped across the wrists for it, and I made almost exactly the same response to that.

3. dmck

I'm on EE and get the following on 4G:

Work ~ 40MB up/down

Home ~ 30 down / 1mb up

1. Roland6 Silver badge

At home I get on my EE 4G handset: 6kbps down / sub 1kbps up (yes that is a 'k')

My Three 3G phone reliably gets: 4+ Mbps down / 1+ Mbps up.

Part of this is down to the mast preferences. the EE handset seems to favour the old Orange mast, whereas the Three handset favours the old T-mobile masts...

However, when it comes to voice calls, the EE phone wins hands down every time...

Fortunately, a little over a year ago we got 40/8 FTTC...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's 4G? Don't get it round here - on any network!

1. Cynical Observer
      Coat

What's 4G?

Groan, Grumble, Grouse and Gripe......

Standard on all networks now.

1. Ragarath

Re: What's 4G?

So standard it's not available to the AC above? Really seems standard...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: What's 4G?

On EE at home, it is a dodgy 4G upstairs at the back.

At the front of the house it is 3G on a good day.

On Voda a congested 4G everywhere. 4G signal but 3G speeds.

On Three, good 4G everywhere.

Given that the majority of people down my street are VM customers perhaps they've gone for the quad play?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pretty good

I've just ditched my so-called fibre broadband as we're directly connected to the exchange and could only get 14 down and 1.5 up. Now using EE 4G broadband via a Huawei 4G router and getting 35 down and 30 up. On 100GB/month tariff which seems enough. Bizarely, my next door neighbour can get full BT Infinity as he comes off a different telegraph pole!

1. Vince

Re: Pretty good

Sure, it's also £75 a month which is a reasonable whack - obviously for your needs that might be fine and you might fancy that price but it is quite the premium for basic broadband services.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

On 100GB/month tariff which seems enough.

Obviously not got kids who like watching YouTube, The Grand Tour, Xbox/PS4 gaming etc... I got my wake up when over the Easter holiday fortnight the kids download approximately 71GB's of stuff.

Prior to getting unlimited FTTC (which happened a couple of months prior to the above mentioned event), I only had a Three dongle and juggled SIMs to get 30GB pcm at a reasonable cost.

Interestingly, one of my clients (with typically 8 users per site) survives without worry on a 100GB pcm service.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yeah....we do all of that Amazon/Grand Tour, Apple TV movies, iPlayer, Facetime, and working from home......100GB/month. I agree that £75 is quite costly, but the old wired broadband was always buffering and often only showed 8Mb down. I've also been able to cut off the phone line.

Maybe OpenReach will upgrade the wet string to our neighbourhood next year. Until then I'm stuffed.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Another pointless award... in a sea of other bland meaningless industry awards.

The ever increasing proliferation of meaningless awards given out these days by meaningless organisations is just getting tedious. The department I work in was nominated for some IT industry awards by some dull organisation recently and we decided to make better use of the time by not bothering to attend. Anyway...

"50 per cent faster than the other providers... during the defined test period."

Nice caveat at the end of that statement by the way. I'll make a fairly certain assumption that this "test" period was for approximately 10 minutes starting at 3.32am sometime over a quiet holiday period. It sounds like a similar ruse to finding the council plans in the basement, in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet, stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the Leopard."

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

EE data speeds

Purely anecdotal evidence here in Glasgow city centre:

EE using Ookla Speedtest on an iPhone 7, in the middle of a busy Buchanan Street (main shopping street) - 133.28 Mbps down/40.50 Mbps up! Since November, periodic tests (I didn't really believe it at first) have been consistently above 95Mbps down, and sometimes over 46Mbps up.

Previous provider O2 - struggled to get a usable data connection at all.

I guess EE have rolled out their triple-speed 4G here :-)

PS the speed test app says that one test used about 127MB of data. I'm glad I got a 16GB/month allowance on one of their special offers.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Out of interest when are they going to ban BT's WiFi claims of being the "best" WiFi?

I thought WiFi is what it is based on number of antenna, strength of signal and type used so I can't see how BT kit could be better than everyone else.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Best or Most Powerful

Did you mean most powerful, if the latter then apparently the ASA are still deciding on that case after a complaint by other ISP's.

10. McVirtual

But....

.... they're still considerably faster right?!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like