back to article Trump's FCC will soak net neutrality in gas and toss in a lit match

Supporters of net neutrality are preparing to defend FCC regulations passed two years ago in the face of what is increasingly looking like a determined effort by the Trump Administration to undermine them. Earlier this week, Trump named a third person to his FCC transition team and, as with the previous two, she is a vocal …

1. BillG
    WTF?

Dems vs. Dems

The first issue is what happens to two existing FCC Commissioners. One, Jessica Rosenworcel, has been held in limbo for nearly a year by Congress, which has refused to confirm her reappointment for political reasons.

Actually, it's the Democrats that are holding up her re-appointment. Senators Ed Markey (D-Mass.) and Ron Wyden (D-Ore.). To them, Rosenworcel seems to lean too far to the right.

Markey "wants an FCC commissioner who is unequivocally committed to pro-consumer, pro-competition policies," said Markey. "Recent actions from Commissioner Rosenworcel have called that commitment into question."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/11/17/senate-democrats-are-targeting-their-own-at-the-fcc/

She seems to sit on the fence a lot. While she's spoken out in favor of net neutrality, she hasn't voted to defend it.

1. kierenmccarthy

Where does it say otherwise?

Yes, it is currently the Democrats holding up Rosenworcel (as covered in a previous story) which is why this story says "Congress" and not "Republicans" when it comes to her renomination.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/11/21/trump_fcc_net_neutrality_haters/

1. BillG
        Holmes

Re: Where does it say otherwise?

But the implication in the article is that it is the Republicans that are holding up her re-appointment. Isn't "for political reasons" deliberately vague?

Meanwhile there is nothing vague about the violent title of the article. It makes very clear where the author's bias lies.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

In case you hadn't noticed, objective comment is no longer relevant in the age of perception management - what some who think the Trump campaign broke new ground refer to as "post-truth". I recommend the (rather long) documentary "HyperNormalisation" from Adam Curtis for an interesting take on this.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
            Facepalm

"objective comment is no longer relevant in the age of perception management"

objective comment is no longer relevant when people are trained/conditioned by a failing school system, corrupt politicians, and a willing media, to *FEEL* instead of *THINK*.

Feelings should be the LEAST relevant thing. Instead, they're put in front of everything else.

And the debate over "net neutrality" is more of a battle of semantics and feelings than it is about logic and reason. Sick, sad, truth.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It makes very clear where the author's bias lies.

Just reading the headline I knew who the author had to be. Far too many journalists are letting their political bias colour articles that require a neutral approach.

2. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Dems vs. Dems

Just to prove there's no conspiracy here, and that you were reading way too much into "political reasons", I've added a link to the senate Democrats arguing over it so everyone's definitely on the same page.

As for the headline, I wrote it and I don't feel particularly either way about NN - I just recognize when an incoming administration is gearing up to make changes.

C.

3. veti Silver badge

Given that Trump's whole campaign was basically founded on a platform of "opposing political correctness and speaking ur branes", it seems ironic that some of his supporters are so incredibly thin-skinned.

To the point where it's impossible to write a news story doing anything other than unconditionally praising their idol, without being accused of bias.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You may think that, but it's due to your conditioning. You see an article peppered with nasty little smears about Trump and to you they look like simple truth, because that's what you've been told they are. Others know better and are not at all pleased to see such baseless bias creeping into the Reg articles, so we complain.

You want an example? Let's look at the first paragraph:

"Supporters of net neutrality are preparing to defend FCC regulations passed two years ago in the face of what is increasingly looking like a determined effort by the Trump Administration to undermine them."

I don't recall those regulations having "passed" anything. Obama's cronies just rammed them down America's throat by fiat. Then Trump's presumed policy of removing this sweeping 'regulation from on high' is cast as "undermining," a term describing a destructive act. That sort of language is pure bias, and people who think so have every right to oppose it without being told they are being unreasonable.

1. Olius

You're forgetting your history, John.

Net Neutrality was in trouble, and the laws now in progress were hard fought for (as per the article) so that everyone is equal on the internet, and a low cost startup could compete with massive companies (which could afford higher carrier costs)

If this is being brushed away, it is bad for net neutrality and it is bad for us. Therefore calling it "bad" is not a bias, but the truth. Unless, of course, you don't like "net neutrality" ?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> "Net Neutrality was in trouble, and the laws now in progress were hard fought for (as per the article) so that everyone is equal on the internet, and a low cost startup could compete with massive companies (which could afford higher carrier costs)"

History, history. Olius, I remember Net Neutrality being a controversial idea, not an existing thing that needed saving. That's history.

> "Laws now in progress"

Huh? These are not laws, they are regulations handed down from a bunch of Bureaucrats with orders that they be obeyed by all the people. I do agree that they were hard fought-for; plenty of high dollar lobbying went on for sure. But that does not confer legitimacy upon them.

And your assertion that this is all about equality can be strongly argued against. I won't attempt to declare a stance here, but I look at who was pushing this thing (Obama, et al), and since I object to most of his many many executive orders I have to assume these regulations exist for the same ideological reasons, and they are therefore suspect.

> "Unless, of course, you don't like 'net neutrality' ?"

What if I don't? Does that make me "bad?" Is it forbidden to oppose something labeled "neutral?" Is that all it takes in your world to shut down opposition?

1. Olius

"Is that all it takes in your world to shut down opposition?"

Ah, spoken like a true Trumpeter.

You expressed an opinion. You are free to do so.

I disagreed with that opinion. I am also free to do so.

You have not been "shut down", I have not delved in to El Reg's servers and deleted your comment. Your opinion still stands, and I still think it is wrong.

Free speech at its best.

The rest of what you said isn't worth my time arguing with - one of your points is simple pedantry, the other shows you haven't really been paying attention. So I'll freely ignore it.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

"The rest of what you said isn't worth my time arguing with..."

Not even your confusion about the difference between between laws and regulations? Or is that the "pedantry" one? Do you really think laws and regulations are more or less the same?

I really think you should reconsider that belief. Knowing how things differ is a critical skill to have when commenting on politics. ;-/

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Strange as I've read quotes of Roslyn Layton elsewhere that she is concerned about entrenched interests manipulating to prevent new/smaller businesses entering the market. Have to wait and see what is done in the future.

2. Hollerithevo

@Big John, but 'from on high' is how the USA has worked for a good 50 + years, ever since Congress decided to leave most of the power in the hands of the President, while they collected money from lobbyists, vested interests, etc. You might feel that Trump is above all this, but the bunch of Republican hyenas in Congress are all the same old faces we've been seeing for a long time now.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You deserve everything you vote for.

Simples.

1. Boo Radley

Re: You deserve everything you vote for.

Unfortunately, less than half of us voted for him. That'd be something like 24% of eligible voters voted for this fool. But we'll all pay the price.

2. Velv
      Boffin

I'm going to down vote, and here's why

If the vote had been purely about Net Neutrality then yes, you get what you vote for, Simples.

But I don't recall any candidate in the entire race standing on that issue. So irrespective of the faults with American "democracy" resulting in the losing candidate winning the election, it's a package deal where votes were cast over other (many would argue more important) issues, not net neutrality.

1. Eddy Ito

Yes this electoral race was heavy on the name calling and very light on actual policy. Sure there was some hand waving on an extremely limited number of hot button issues but otherwise there was little distinction between the two major party candidates or even the major parties themselves.

3. Mephistro
    Devil

By pure chance...

... the companies owned by Trump will receive lots of big fat contracts from telcos in the next few years.

Seriously now: Sorry to tell you, Americans, but your country has been pwned.

1. Mark 85

Re: By pure chance...

Seriously now: Sorry to tell you, Americans, but your country has been pwned.

Not news. We have been pwned for decades by the lobbyists, special interests, and their corporate masters.

1. Olius

Re: By pure chance...

Any now the ultimate "corporate master" is in charge. Lobbyists are no longer needed*

(* Apart from lobbyists representing groups whose views don't match Trump's business interests)

4. SeanC4S

Reason has been thrown to the dogs in favor of homophily:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/10/magazine/10Section2a.t-4.html

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Dude, the NYT has been revealed as a non-credible source, totally in the tank for the Democrats. Don't bring that drivel in here.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

NYT "revealed as non-credible"

Only in a world where people believe Breitbart is credible.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: NYT "revealed as non-credible"

I guess all those emails showing collusion between the NYT "journalists" and the Democrat Party mean nothing to you? And what about those wildly inaccurate election polls they put out (along with the rest of the lefty press)? Did Breitbart do that? Any of that? Not that I've seen. Instead they stand up for what they believe is right, and proclaim it proudly. Half the country agrees with Breitbart, but not the NYT.

So maybe the corporate media does claim Breitbart is twelve kinds of nasty, but those damning words are coming from a set of hacks who no longer own any clothes.

2. Hollerithevo

What?

Your comment is the voice of reason? 'homophily' -- lord help us.

5. Potemkine Silver badge

New Order in AmeriKKKa

Now that the US is becoming a fascist state, one can expect that private interests close to the new Leader will take great advantages of it, without mentioning Leader's business as well.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Re: New Order in AmeriKKKa

The last time I tried soaking anything in gasoline and throwing a match at it I lost my eyebrows.

6. Crazy Operations Guy

Obvious who is pulling Trump's strings

Its way too obvious who Trump is taking orders from considering his past. Up until the election, Trump was an employee of NBC (Actor on 'The Apprentice'), and later an employee of Comcast (When they bought NBC, which really seems like it should never have been allowed to happen).

He gained popularity due to all the free media coverage he received from the various news outlets, so it seems quite likely that Trump made a deal with Comcast that they would pressure their news subsidiaries to give him more coverage in exchange for Trump using his power to crush Net Neutrality.

I wouldn't be surprised that if Net Neutrality is ended that Trump doesn't return to hosting 'The Apprentice' at a highly increased amount of pay upon leaving the Oval Office.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Obvious who is pulling Trump's strings

Okay, so that gets Trump more coverage at Comcast and subs. Is that really enough to make a difference? , What caused the other corporate news orgs to act the same way? Are they all in collusion? Did the US Media really get Trump elected just to kill Net Neutrality? Wow.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

The networks copy each other, so when one releases a story, the others will jump right on it and apply their own spin to it (No outlet wants to miss out on a story and lose valuable advertising dollars). Or at least look at the same sources, and once a large network starts listening to a news feed, the other will start to as well. The American people can't get enough of watching terrible people do terrible things, just look at the popularity of Paris Hilton, The Cardassians, The New Jersey Shore folk, The Duck Dynasty people, Honey Boo-Boo, etc. Trump fits perfectly into that category, so networks were trying to out-do each other in trying to cover the random and 'outrageous' stuff that he did.

People see Trump doing something racist / sexist / homophobic and think back to a time when they or their friends said/did something just as hateful and thus think that Trump fits in with them, that he is "A guy I can have a beer with". Really, anything that embarrassed him in public made him more sympathetic to people that have been embarrassed about doing something similar themselves (nearly everyone).

Comcast would certainly do everything in their power to get a sympathetic candidate in office. They stand to gain massive piles of cash in extortion money from web sites and services if Net Neutrality is killed. They had already spent astronomical amounts of money in lobbying since the conversation about Net Neutrality started. Even if Net Neutrality isn't ended, they still stand to gain quite a lot of cash in reduced corporate taxes that Trump has promised.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> "People see Trump doing something racist / sexist / homophobic..."

Correction, YOU see it. I imagine you see a lot of things that aren't there, such as intelligent Democrats who actually believe Hillary was framed.

Personally I'd love to have the superpower to change reality into exactly what I perceive it to be, but alas, reality doesn't care what I think.

7. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Megaphone

Net Neutrality is overrated AND misunderstood

This whole "net neutrality" thing is *HIGHLY* overrated, and equally misunderstood.

When you hear 'net neutrality' what do you think of. Fairness? I bet a lot of people do. but net neutrality has NOTHING to do with 'fairness'.

"Net Neutrality" has to do with REGULATING CONTENT along with the manner in which it is transmitted.

It's amazing what can be inserted into the umbrella term "net neutrality", and don't think that gummints do NOT want to do it.

The only REAL freedom is ANARCHY. A more 'sane' approach is what we have had up until the whole "net neutrality" crap, basically a set of protocol standards and simple routing rules.

Once you start mandating and regulating and fiddling and demanding and suing and punishing and CONTROLLING ACTUAL CONTENT, the entire intarwebs will be RUINED.

It would become nothing more than a pipeline for invasive and privacy-violating advertising content, directly from "them" directly to "you" at maximum throughput. No, wait...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Net Neutrality is overrated AND misunderstood

Net Neutrality is indeed all about control, and the proof is that the Great Manipulator Obama pushed so hard for it, and finally just had it proclaimed AS law, instead of trying to make it law the proper way thru legislation.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like