back to article Brit upstart releases free air traffic app for drone operators

British startup Altitude Angel has, in conjunction with air traffic control service NATS, launched an air-traffic-as-a-service app for drone operators. Drone Assist "presents drone pilots with an interactive map of areas of airspace used by commercial air traffic", according to Altitude Angel. The theory is that the large …

1. Rich 11

Ulp!

Some have suggested that some airprox reports said to involve drones are actually caused by pilots overreacting to airborne plastic bags, contrasting modern drone airprox reports with reports of flying saucers in the 1950s and 1960s.

That's fine, just as long as no-one gets abducted and probed by a plastic bag.

1. Ugotta B. Kiddingme
      Alien

Re: Ulp!

given how flimsy are the plastic bags currently available from local proprietors such probing would be far less problematic than the more conventional means...

2. Graham Cunningham

Has research been done on what effect a drone strike would have on a commercial aircraft?

1. Andy Non Silver badge

A very good question. I'd like to know how a 747 could respond if one of the larger, heavier drones were to hit the windscreen during descent / takeoff or got ingested into an engine. If they are able to bring such a plane down then the loss of life could be enormous, not just the passengers, but on the people in buildings below.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> I'd like to know how a 747 could respond

The main concern is ingesting one of them things in one of the engines. That'll damage the engine in the same way as birds do. The outcome may be a one-engine inop landing in the best case, to an engine fire, to an uncontained engine failure causing structural damage and taking out row 14, much to the discomfort of the passengers in rows 12 and 15.

The windscreen can withstand quite a bit of abuse.

2. DNTP

Planes can kill planes, birds can kill birds, and there are now drones that kill drones. Additionally, planes have killed birds, birds have killed planes, and birds have killed drones. Therefore, logically a drone can kill a plane. It's your classic trilemma symmetry!

(This excludes drones intentionally designed to kill planes since it's a little harder for civilians to own SAMs.)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"birds have killed planes, and birds have killed drones. Therefore, logically a drone can kill a plane."

Birds have killed planes. A single bird, less so. Logically I'd extend that to drones. It wouldn't be pleasant, but (most) planes have 2+ engines for a reason.

3. The Mole

"Professionals already know the law, as they are required to be registered with the CAA before they can make a living out of drone operations. "

I would hazard a guess that there are a lot of professionals who don't know the law and who therefore don't know that they were meant to register with the CAA. The barrier of entry afterall to becoming 'professional' is simply owning a drone with a reasonable camera and placing an advert on the internet. Does anyone know if the CAA or anyone has actually done any research or enforcement against professional drone operators and if they are registered?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Given that the vast majority of these supposed near misses are physically impossible due to the speeds or altitudes involved and that planes are tested against larger masses to cope with bird strikes, it isn't a head-in-the-sand attitude at all but a very realistic and safe one to ignore these pilots crying wolf.

RC flying clubs have operated on and around active airfields for decades without planes spontaneously falling out of the sky.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> it isn't a head-in-the-sand attitude at all but a very realistic and safe one to ignore these pilots crying wolf.

As a former pilot and investor in a drone company, amongst other relevant things, I would like to warn the audience to ignore the idiot who wrote the sentence quoted above.

> RC flying clubs have operated on and around active airfields for decades without planes spontaneously falling out of the sky.

RC clubs operate *from* generally small, non-commercial airfields, at low-traffic hours which are agreed and published, and in close cooperation with the airfield operator. They also know what they're supposed to do when an aircraft turns up, and are almost without exception (in my experience) a highly responsible bunch, plus many are pilots themselves. They are not a problem at all.

The problem are people who get a ready to fly drone from the internet one day, walk out to their garden, and start flying the thing. A very small percentage will be born imbeciles with too high an opinion of their own miserable selves to listen to anyone else, like the fellow AC I am quoting, but the rest, the vast majority, will simply be people who have not had the benefit of receiving proper and reliable information about good and safe practices. That's something we in the aeronautical industry have to work on, to reach those people and provide them with the information they need, and somehow encourage them to practice their hobby safely (as RC clubs do). The work being done by the company mentioned in the article seems like a step in the right direction: it is not just useful, but also presented in an engaging manner.

2. Trixr

Yeah, thanks, whether or not a drone being ingested into an engine during a critical flight phase can cause a catastrophic failure - btw Concorde crashed because of a small strip of metal - frankly, as a passenger, I'd rather that pilots were entirely undistracted by things buzzing them outside the windshield while they're on final approach to an airport like LHR, FRA, LAX etc.

3. collinsl Bronze badge

In addition to what the second AC has said, I'd like to point out that birds tend to be squishy and easy for fan blades in aircraft to chop up as required. Drones, on the other hand, are made of rather harder metal and plastic bits and engines have NOT been tested to cope with ingesting them.

The consequences of a drone strike to an engine could be catastrophic and may have the potential to bring down an aircraft - having a high stage compressor disk rupture because a metal tube has gone int there is not something a plane is designed to resist and it could lead to worse damage than that Qantas A380 that got a hole in the wing.

1. Mr Sceptical
        Mushroom

Obligatory bird kills plane clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN_Zl64OQEw

Bird vs military trainer - so not a flimsy civilian craft either!

Icon for what was left of the jet...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> engines have NOT been tested to cope with ingesting them.

True. It is not part of the certification process to shoot a frozen drone at a running engine. Not yet anyway, and if it does come to be, it'll raise certification, manufacture, and operational costs, making air travel more expensive. :-) So maybe let's just keep them things out of the way, eh?

5. Haku

I still want someone to do a Mythbusters type 'can you spot an object is a drone' test

Involving someone moving at X miles an hour reliably confirming an object at X hundred feet away is a drone or plastic bag or something else.

I'd happily do it if I can do the driving, though I'd have to borrow a Bugatti Veyron (or something else that goes very fast) to drive on a runway at very high speed whilst someone else does the spotting. I wouldn't enjoy the ride, it would be purely scientific research... ;)

6. cantankerous swineherd

drones at 000s of feet

pictures or it didn't happen.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: drones at 000s of feet

The height is plausible, but the regularity is not.

Only high-power remote-camera drones would be pilotable at that height, and not the wifi ones. So the majority of these would have to be uncontrolled or accidental.

A multirotor 'copter has a battery longevity of about 20 minutes. It'll fly for that long, then it will crash.

It is plausible that some owners have lost control and had their copter fly away and 'jam the throttle' (bad failsafe), and as they are self-balanced it could keep climbing rapidly until it reaches a very high altitude ceiling.

It'll stay until the battery goes flat, then it will fall straight down.

A fixed-wing R/C aircraft is also inherently stable, however they generally can't climb quickly and are much harder to fly.

However, there do not seem to be any reports of any drones falling out of the sky, or any drone wreckage being found near where the near-misses are claimed to have occurred.

As nobody has produced that evidence, and it would be very stupid for the CAA etc not to go looking, one assumes that in most cases there was no evidence to find.

So while there probably have been a small number of genuine near-misses with planes and drones, the vast majority of these reports must have other explanations.

1. lglethal Silver badge
        Thumb Down

Re: drones at 000s of feet

The very first drone i looked at on http://drones.specout.com/ (the AEE F100 - commercial grade Drone)is rated to 1500m (5000 feet)

The second I looked at (DJI Phantom 4 - very much consumer Level - only $1400) is software limited to 500m (1666 feet), but it appears from looking online that people have worked out how to defeat this, but I havent found a Maximum height yet.

So consumer grade Drones getting above a couple of thousand feet is as easy as pie, and they are still controllable there, so why would there be debris?

7. Robert D Bank

Obvious?

Why can't the Gov't just insist that the drones include GPS and other technology to automatically make sure the drones will NOT fly within the restricted zones or above acceptable heights? You can't reply on idiots making the right decisions so do it for them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like