back to article Really weird quantum phenomenon spied lurking near neutron star

A neutron star may have led astronomers to find signs of a strange quantum phenomenon in vacuum space that was predicted more than eighty years ago. In quantum electrodynamics (QED), space isn’t really empty. Virtual particle and antiparticle pairs continually pop up and disappear. In the presence of very strong magnetic …

1. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Read the paper ...

In a vague attempt to understand the 'polarised light' image I read the paper that is linked. Try it. Your brain will melt and it still doesn't help with the image but there's the vague amusement of several references to a paper by a scientist called Boffin ... :-)

1. Tom_

Re: Read the paper ...

A beam of light is mad up of a bunch of photons travelling along in the same direction, one after another. Each photon has a magnetic field and an electric field, aligned perpendicularly. If you imagine the photon travelling across your screen from left to right, you might see the magnetic field from the side, so it's a wave drawn on your screen, but if you did then you'd be looking at the electric field from the edge, so it'd be a wave going in and out of your screen. If you then imagine looking at the screen from the right hand side, the photon would be travelling towards you with the magnetic field looking like a vertical line and the electric field looking like a horizontal line. This is the cross that you can see in the polarised light image.

When light's emitted from a source like a star or a hot light bulb, the beams of light/the photons are aligned at random, so if you look at the light source all the photons will look like corsses rotated to random angles.

When you polarise the light, but shining it through a fine grid, polarising sunglasses or a weird quantum phenomenom this forces all the crosses to orient to the same rotation, so you get the polarised light image where all the crosses are like the one you'd see from looking at the side of your monitor.

Interestingly, as you can polarise light to different angles by forcing it through a grid that's rotated to differetn angles, you can convey information in the angle of polarisation. Your light beam could be continuous, pulsed, varying in colour and so on, but you can ignore all of that and look at the polarisation angle to read the information. It's not even effected by blue or red shift. Handy!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Read the paper ...

If you want to understand the phenonomon:

Buy a linear polarising filter (about a fiver on Amazon) and hold in front of your LCD monitor, then turn it into the view through it becomes black. This happens because light from an LCD monitor is only vibrating in one direction and the filter is now blocking all vibration in this direction.

Now hold something transparent and bendy between then monitor and the filter and notice how you can see some of the light from the monitor and not other bits, and there's weird patterns and colours and shit. Try bending it a bit and seeing the patterns do weird stuff.

Now you're in a better position to understand it. Or at least to act like you do to show off. Or something.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Go

The abstract says 10^13G field strength. I presume this is Gauss

which is 10 000 Gauss to a Tesla, so 1 giga Tesla.

Given that fusion researchers are quite excited that their magnets can achieve about 20+T continuously that is a very powerful field indeed.

Impressive field. Impressive result.

1. MyffyW Silver badge

Re: The abstract says 10^13G field strength. I presume this is Gauss

Which ever way you look at it, if you store your C90s next to this, you might be disappointed.

1. m0rt

Which would be more than made up for by the fact you had a handy wormhole in your desk draw...

Well that is where my C90s were stored. That or on the passenger seat of the car.

1. Magani
          Headmaster

... the fact you had a handy wormhole in your desk draw...

You had your wormhole draw what? Pedant minds want to know.

1. m0rt

"You had your wormhole draw what? Pedant minds want to know."

...er

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Obviously you had it draw a drawer.

2. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
          Joke

"... That or on the passenger seat of the car".

In the latter case the C90s would still all be transformed into "Best of Queen" compilations

1. Roj Blake Silver badge
            Pint

Upvote and a beer for the Good Omens reference.

1. bep

Reading the summary from a distance, it appears they have a beer fridge to put the beer in!

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Magnetic Fields

1. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

Re: @allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Plus one! It's been quite some time since I heard that album.

3. Tom 7

Cant help thinking that a magnetic field that strong

is going to align almost any matter in it in a way that would polarise light anyway.

1. You aint sin me, roit

Re: Cant help thinking that a magnetic field that strong

They did think about that and considered some alternative models for why the star is emitting and where it is emitting from (surface or atmosphere). This led to a significant caveat in the article:

"For all the considered emission models..."

They considered two options - a condensing surface and a gaseous atmosphere - neither of which, in the absence of QED effects, would be expected to produce the degree of polarization detected.

However, they aren't sure what is causing the emissions, merely "a robust indication that optical/near-UV photons are thermal and come from the surface, possibly from a cooler, larger region than that emitting the X-rays". Even so, they aren't sure why it closely matches black body radiation...

So... maybe we don't understand neutron stars too well, or maybe we do and this is evidence for QED, or maybe we don't really understand much at all, despite how far we have come and the sophistication of our experiments.

2. phuzz Silver badge
      Boffin

But in this case, there is no (normal) matter to polarise, instead it's magnetising the virtual particles produced by quantum vacuum fluctuations.

(Short version: 'empty' space is actually full of particles popping into existence and then disappearing again a fraction of a second later. Sounds preposterous, but they can be detected. For the long version go read up on virtual particles, Casimir forces, quantum fluctuation and vacuum energy and prepare to have your mind blown).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Always remind the civilian that "empty space" is a construct of our senses and mind.

"Empty space" exists as much as the "empty space" inside a videogame hallway.

Realize there is no space and it sure isn't empty.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Completely off-topic or maybe not, but while content chasing on the 'net-of-dreams. I came across a readable writeup about Verlinde's Gravity idea: The Case Against Dark Matter

1. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

Re: @somewhat OT AC regarding Verlinde Gravity article

Thank you. That was a most fascinating read - one which, remarkably enough, I actually understood.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Realize there is no space and it sure isn't empty."

Careful with your deep thoughts or you'll get AManFromMars fired up again.

3. Stoneshop
      Headmaster

It's certainly strong enough to have mis-aligned the apostrophe in "can't'".

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

"Cant help!"

It may actually have been prussian philosopher talking about the noumenon (no, not that unsufferable arsehole Hegel)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Magnificent 7

I suggest calling that one "Lee" after the Robert Vaughn character in the 1960 version.

1. Hollerithevo

Re: Magnificent 7

Where do I write to support this? And why not name the other six? Seems only fair.

5. Drew 11
    Coat

If it's that useful, hopefully one will pop up in our neighbourhood.

6. sitta_europea Silver badge

It's a phenomenon. Not a phenomena.

1. adnim
      Joke

phenomena da do di diddum phenomenon da do di dum...

7. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"Nobel-prize winning physicist Werner Heisenberg – best known for his seminal work on the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle"

Are you certain?

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Coat

Not quite

2. TitterYeNot
      Coat

"Are you certain?"

I tried that one once with the judge when in court for speeding.

"Aha!" I cried. "If the officer knew I was exceeding the speed limit, ipso facto he knew my velocity, therefore how could he be certain that I was at the scene of the crime? QED!!!"

Pftt! Contempt of court for inane stupidity indeed! Mutter mutter...

8. DNTP

Reality-distorting, Empty, and Polarizing

I've had management that acted like this thing.

Only instead of spontaneous particle antisymmetry we just got horribly out of spec desktop PC purchases. Computers and anti-computers?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Reality-distorting, Empty, and Polarizing

I'm somewhat anti-computers these days, and my interactions with them generate quite a bit of heat, especially in the form of sound waves..

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Reality-distorting, Empty, and Polarizing

We keep observing uncanny phenomena in the Large Management Collider upstairs on a weekly basis.

Does anyone have the contact of Dr Gordon Freeman?

1. DNTP

Re: Freeman

Management had to let him go, partly because he never seemed to contribute in meetings and partly because the maintenance union complained that moving/stacking/crowbarring all of our hundreds of crates was a union job.

9. TeeCee Gold badge
    Unhappy

Damn!

...a group of pulsating neutron stars called “The Magnificent Seven.”

Ok. Who else was forced to read the rest of the article to the sound of "Dum, dum de dum, dum de dum de dum...<etc>"?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Gimp

Re: Damn!

No, I was actually thinking about anal beads...

10. Stevie

Bah!

Yesyesyesyes vacuum biro refrigerants. OK.

But what makes those little tell-tale crosses glow like that in the first place?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon