back to article Cheap virtual box hosters – Amazon's Lightsail is out to destroy you (yes, you, Digital Ocean)

Now that it dominates the public cloud market, Amazon is setting its sights lower – on developers deploying small projects – in the hope that these customers will remain within the AWS ecosystem. In conjunction with AWS re:Invent in Las Vegas on Wednesday, Amazon introduced Lightsail, a service that allows customers to launch …

1. Platypus

Yawn

As far as I can tell, this is just EC2 with features removed to enable a simpler pricing model. The fact that many of these features become available again through VPC peering suggests that it's a separate (someone else's?) data center. But the price isn't really going to destroy Digital Ocean etc. Looking at the 2GB level, which is the lowest they all have in common and is what really constitutes a starter system:

* Digital Ocean - $20/month for two cores and 40GB SSD

* Linode - $20/month for one core and 24GB SSD

* Vultr - $20/month for two cores and 45GB SSD

* Lightsail - $20/month for one core and 40GB SSD

Lightsail is below median for cores, at median for storage, all for exactly the same price. Without benchmarks - especially storage benchmarks which IMX have shown a 2-3x difference between providers or even instances within one provider - it's hard to know which is really the better deal. The real take-away here seems to be that Amazon was feeling pressure at the low end.

1. Lyle Dietz

Re: Yawn

You got the Linode pricing wrong, it's $10/month for the 2GB plan, which is probably why Linode isn't worried. I'm certainly going to stick with them (once I'm ready to start a server up again).

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

You missed memset - 20$ per month and 40GB SSD for the 2G two core instance. The one core is 10$ - this is for the newer high IOPS SSD instances. With 12 month discount it goes down to ~ 15$ month or 7.50 per month respectively.

Amazon missed the point. Completely. The reason why people host with all of these providers is exactly that - flat pricing, no price shocks and permanently attached static IPs. So, no, no and no thanks. They take their overpriced (light)sail fold it and get themselves towed back to port.

I will stay with what I have at memset for yet another year (11th year and counting).

1. Ben Tasker

Amazon missed the point. Completely. The reason why people host with all of these providers is exactly that - flat pricing, no price shocks and permanently attached static IPs. So, no, no and no thanks.

Yep, exactly my view. I do have some stuff running in AWS, but those are there because AWS's pricing model is better suited for those requirements.

The digital ocean stuff is where it is because of the flat pricing. I know what it's going to cost every month, regardless of what hits it.

Lightsail as an offering, from my point of view, doesn't offer what'd be needed to move my DigitalOcean stuff over, and offers no benefit over having the other stuff in EC2.

2. Duncan Macdonald

What is the point ?

Unless you have a very intermittent large demand - why use a cloud service?

For any reasonably predictable demand on-site equipment is almost certain to be cheaper (except for web hosting if you have a poor internet connection).

(Taking the pricing given by Platypus in his Yawn comment above - 2 cores 2GB RAM and 40GB SSD works out to $240/year - a new 4 core 4GB RAM 128GB SSD Lenovo B50-10 Laptop can be purchased for £280 on ebay - in less than 2 years this system will cost less that the lightsail setup while being twice as powerful as the lightsail setup. )

Also using an onsite server means that your data is not exposed to the NSA and whichever US companies they feel like selling it to.

1. Youngone Silver badge

Re: What is the point ?

Duncan Mac makes a great point, and is exactly what I was wondering.

I could do better for less money from my home VDSL connection.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

You just got featured on the frontpage of HN/Slashdot - now you need 1000x as much capacity for a couple of days. Better hope that ebay seller does fast delivery of your 1000 laptops

You have a SAAS product that needs a lot of power on a saturday, or the last day of the month or peaks at Christmas. Or you want to roll out a new version without having to build a duplicate data center for the switch-over

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Nicely put but you didn't go far enough. One cost is Capex and the other is OpEx.

As IT director you can gain kudos by cutting your CapEx.... Never mind the increase in OpEx...

The mantra seems to be "The only place to do computing in the future is in the Cloud".

Just watch those content free Microsoft Cloud adverts. Quite why they are played to Joe Public is beyond me. They have no idea what cloud really is (or importantly is NOT).

For an SME, (as I did have my own SME at one time) the certainty of expenditure was the name of the game. Predictable Cash-flow. Both OpEx and CapEx have their place (but see my last paragraph)

The industry seems to want you to move to a Pay Monthly model. Be it Servers in the cloud or for software (Adobe CS). you never own anything but keep paying for it. Just like that High St shop called Brightside...

I prefer to have kit that I own and I can touch. It is an ASSET. Something in the cloud where you pay monthly is a LIABILITY. Different sides of the Balance Sheet.

Just my (worthless) 2p on the subject.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

These providers are not cloud services - they are VPS. It is a different niche.

They have "sysadmin" uses - small web systems, mail hosting, mail relay, ticketing systems, vpn concentrator, etc - all the stuff you would run on an SMB server.

You can get every single one of the elements somewhere else, often for free, but you cannot get the integration. For example - I can find a few places which will host a ticketing system for me, but none of them will integrate it correctly with my mail flow and other stuff. Also, the baseline prices for an instance will be several times higher than the cost of a small VPS.

Running these applications on a VPS requires permanently attached static IP address. With their dynamic IP address attachment via API and pricing of IP per hour Amazon totally missed the what are these VMs used for.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Isn't the IP price per hour for when the IP is not attached to the VPS?

So, set it up once and leave it attached. No extra cost. Doesn't seem too complicated?

3. phuzz Silver badge

"using an onsite server means that your data is not exposed to the NSA and whichever US companies they feel like selling it to"

That's understandable if you live in the US, but if you live in a country with more draconian legislation (eg the UK), you might want to keep a VPS running as a VPN endpoint etc.

4. Number6

I find it useful because it's got a static IP address, I can use it for VPN services and as an endpoint for my mail server (which redirects to my home system via other means where the ISP blocks port 25). It's a convenient remote web host, too, and a useful launch point for when I want to poke my own system from the outside. I used to host my websites with a provider who gave me an ssh shell as part of the package. With the VPS I get the whole machine to do what I want and host as many websites and back-end databases as I want.

However, it does mean you're responsible for your own security, so a bit of care in setting it up is required.

5. TotallyInfo

"Unless you have a very intermittent large demand - why use a cloud service?"

You are not comparing like-for-like pricing. To have a fair comparison, you need to take into account space, HVAC costs, server hardware costs and depreciation, capital costs, network & security management costs and doubtless quite a lot more that I've missed.

Certainly in the UK, I can get a VPS and perhaps even a public Cloud service running for far less even than the cost of electricity for an equivalent server - let alone the other overheads.

3. Martin Summers Silver badge

Being a digitalocean customer I was interested, until I read Amazon could screw you on uncapped costs. Limited their appeal? Immediately and terminally for this product I would say.

4. Ole Juul

No worries

Amazon isn't going to destroy anybody.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Amazon isn't going to destrioy anybody

That is their whole modus operandii. They want to put all other retailers and service providers out of business.

5. OchaiThenoo

I've been using DigitalOcean for a couple of years. I have a permanent mail server and can spin up a CentOS LAMP stack for testing then destroy when finished. I know exactly what my costs are and that was the single most attractive selling point.

I messed around with AWS last year to see what the fuss was about. A couple of hours was all that was needed and I thought I had switched everything off. Still got billed £50 at the end of the month.

6. CAPS LOCK

At INTRODUCTION this may not be a rival for the existing players, but...

... observation leads me to think that, down the road, repeated, savage price cuts will be the order of the day. Time will tell, but I wouldn't bet against Amazon on this one.

7. David Roberts

Virtual and real servers?

How much is it to rent the equivalent in a bog standard server farm (if there is such a thing these days)?

Say you aren't into development but just want a web server, mail server and VPN end point?

I can see the flexibility in a virtual server environment, and the potential economies for the provider, but is this now the best route to an emtry level hobby server?

1. TotallyInfo

Re: Virtual and real servers?

"Say you aren't into development but just want a web server, mail server and VPN end point?

I can see the flexibility in a virtual server environment, and the potential economies for the provider, but is this now the best route to an emtry level hobby server?"

Nope, the best entry point - in terms of cost - for a web service is still a shared server. Followed by a VPS from a low cost provider. Costs can be insanely low, especially if you can pick up a special offer.

For most individuals, public cloud for running web services is never going to make sense while costs are balanced as they are. Where they begin to make sense are when you need a highly variable workload - e.g. you need to scale up periodically. Or where you need a large "virtual datacentre" for specific workloads.

8. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Which OSes are supported?

The article says Amazon Linux AMI, Ubuntu, CentOS, FreeBSD, and Debian, the Amazon features page says only Amazon Linux and Ubuntu.

9. WibbleMe

Digital Ocean has the upper hand in these areas (for the moment)

An extra core

IPv6 (15 of them in a range) but only one IP per droplet even AWS does not do this to the best of my knowledge.

Proven Stability

East to use DNS

Automatic PTR/rWHOIS settings

UK Server center as opposed to US (for the moment for LightSale)

Supports many more containers types

Supports Centos container that you can convert to Cloudlinux and WHM/Cpanel

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like