back to article Netflix and spill: Web vid giant kills password masking in tests

Netflix is testing a new feature that, for some subscribers, shows their passwords in plain text as they are typed in – and potentially when folks revisit the site. The temporary design tweak, which Netflix says is supposed to help fat-fingered users correctly enter their passwords, does not star out characters as they are …

1. Phil Kingston

Wouldn't a checkbox (off by default) before the password entry box indicating whether the password should be displayed satisfies all requirements?

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

It's what every site who has implemented this does. Then they can switch it on for everyone and those that need it can tick the box. Quite simple really. Not even sure why this very minor feature tweak is news.

2. Bradley

I can confirm there is a button for password masking, but it's off by default. My recent Netflix login used this new password box and I lived to tell the tale.

2. Privatelyjeff

If your Netflix password is the same as your email/bank password, then you deserve to be hacked.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

moar secure

so "hunter23" for bank password, got it!

2. CustardGannet
      Paris Hilton

Netflix password the same as your email/bank password ?

Surely no-one on the planet is that stupid.

Paris, cos her (ahem) accounts are wide open for anyone to access. Allegedly.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

re:If your Netflix password is the same as your email/bank password

*shrug*

if your bank lets you access funds with only a password, you have bigger problems than that.

My bank (Nationwide) mandates a 2FA login with a card reader, and further mandates any new transfers out of my account are subsequently re-validated with 2FA.

1. d3vy

Re: re:If your Netflix password is the same as your email/bank password

@Anon

Not a fan of card readers for 2FA, easy to leave behind when you need them..

TSB does 2FA in a few different ways,

On my personal account I have a password and some memorable info, I have to enter the password on every access then 3 random characters (decided by TSB) from my memorable info.

To transfer money out of the account I need to set up new recipients, doing this triggers a call to my mobile which confirms with me that it was me setting it up before allowing me to transfer money out.

My business account does the same, with the added rule that after a recipient is added you cannot transfer to them immediately. The business account also requires a code from a card reader to be entered for every transfer to an external account (This is a pain in the arse as I dont carry the card reader with me so cant always make payments when I am away from home)

3. getHandle
    Facepalm

As bad as Amazon video on my TV

Where the pin number is obscured but you have to move the cursor around a grid of numbers to select them. So now the kids know exactly what the pin number is simply by watching where the cursor is when the next blob appears. Genius!

1. John Robson Silver badge

Re: As bad as Amazon video on my TV

Proper Amazon box doesn't move it round a grid.

Took me a moment to realise that you meant a TV implementation - which TV is so badly broken?

1. Pat Harkin

Trying to do a secure password implementation on a system which has no keyboard and a display which (by design) is visible across the room is a nightmare. I can't think of a secure way of doing it.

1. David Roberts

Finger print reader on the remote control.

Simples!

2. Simon Harris
          Coat

Use the Up/Down buttons on the controller to enter the binary codes for the characters in the password.

It might not be very secure, but who watching is going to be arsed to decode the password?

Hmm... come to think of it, who's going to be arsed to enter their password like that in the first place!

3. Cuddles

"Trying to do a secure password implementation on a system which has no keyboard and a display which (by design) is visible across the room is a nightmare. I can't think of a secure way of doing it."

Perhaps some kind of device with a numerical keypad could be used to control the TV remotely? I wonder what it might be called...

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Beat me to it, up vote :p

2. Ben 47

I'm not sure about other TVs but my 2014 Samsung TV's main remote doesn't have a number pad on it. It does come with a second one that does but the Smart TV system really expects the main one.

Not sure if Samsung even bother with the keypad one now.

4. John Robson Silver badge

The FireTV stick and box show 0-4 mapped onto the direction and click keys on the remote and 5-9 if you press the 'option' button.

If you watch you get to know which half of the number space each number is in.

This massively reduces the search space - 5^4 rather than 10^4

That's still 625 codes given a 4 digit PIN

5. Jim Mitchell

@Pat Harkin

Some modern TVs let you plug-in and use a regular USB keyboard.

2. d3vy

Same as the on screen keyboard used on the xBox for entering credentials for anything...

The kids now know the pin for buying things in the store, my live account login and the logins for netflix etc...

4. User McUser

So I guess I'm the only person on the planet who refuses to let my browser remember passwords?

Obligatory XKCD link.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like