back to article Japan investigating defence network break-in

Japanese defence officials are investigating a reported penetration of the country's high-speed Defence Information Infrastructure (DII) network. The attacks, which Bloomberg attributes to a possible state-based actor, took place in September but have only now come to light. The DII network is shared by the country's Defence …

1. Ole Juul

Is this their first time?

Invite the white hats or sink. They'll learn.

2. Brian Miller

It's the ones you don't see...

They found out about one. How many more are there? Also, which part of, "don't hook those together," did they miss?

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

DII?

Maybe somebody thought it has to do with democrats....

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Why do Defense networks insist on being accessible via Internet ?

The need for security being what it is, I think that any Secure Defense network should only be accessible via dialup.

Speeds today are quite reasonable and should be adequate, and having to phone in to a defense server means that you are eminently traceable, virtually eliminating any outsider attempt because of the very real risk of the door being beaten down in minutes and your ass being hauled off for a possibly very long time.

In addition, you could seal off international calls, thus ensuring only people physically in your country could attempt the call, therefor ensuring that your police forces are fully capable of putting down any spurious attempts.

It would indeed have to be one hell of a state actor to attempt anything at that level without insider knowledge.

So why does super-important defense information keep being under threat from any pimply-faced miscreant with an Ethernet port ?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Why do Defense networks insist on being accessible via Internet ?

In the "Cuckoo's Egg", a tale is told about how attacks were made using dialup....

BRING BACK THE GOOD OLD TIMES!

2. herman

Hmm, 75 baud Baudot RTTY would sure limit the damage.

3. Daza876
      Pirate

hmm... Whether its connectivity via Ethernet, PSTN, satellite, microwave, laser or wet string to a hacker its just connectivity and where there's a will there's a way :)

5. Julian Bond
    Trollface

"state-based"? That'll be 4chan then.

1. herman

Yeah, I guess state-based means somebody in his mom's basement in the You Knighted States...

6. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Well, if I'll ever start a hacking group I'll name it SBHG - state based hacking group.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like