back to article Comcast is the honey badger of ISPs – injects pop-ups into browsers, doesn't give a fsck

As an ostensible courtesy to internet customers now facing 1TB monthly data caps, Comcast has begun notifying those approaching their quotas through popup browser windows. But the way it delivers those messages – injecting web code into the customer's browsing session – undermines online security, said iOS developer Chris …

1. David Kelly 2

I think WOW is also using this technique

I have received suspicious pop-ups claiming to be from my ISP: WOWway.com.

Suspicious because they were injected in non-WOW sites, but was accurately informing me of pending termination of support for my older DOCSIS modem.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I think WOW is also using this technique

WOW! Such inject! Very popup! Much suspicious!

2. MNGrrrl
    FAIL

More than a security problem

It's not just a security problem: There's more than just web browsers using http. Any automated tool that pulls over HTTP could potentially be broken by this sort of injection because it is expecting the remote end to respond the way it always has -- without injected code. It may have hardcoded offsets, etc. The average person (cough, or even more inept, the average lawmaker) of course doesn't ever think about this but most of the communication on the internet is automated, not interactive. We're wiring in toasters, cameras, cars... we're wiring in all our public utilities infrastructure too. And a lot of the time, those things are accessed over http -- you think your wifi box is the only thing with that? Try again: The chemical factory four blocks from where you live probably has similar web management interfaces. Or the sewage processing plant. The internet of things is here, and the most common cause of failure isn't hackers or terrorists -- and it never was. Failure usually doesn't come to the screams of "Death to America!" or "Gimmie your money, bitch!"... it's to the quiet sound of "Oops."

-

Network neutrality isn't about bandwidth or protecting competition and all that jazz... it's about protecting the integrity of the communications themselves. When you start screwing with the content, you're making assumptions. Comcast is assuming that only web browsers live on port 80. Engineers know better.

-

Enlightened engineers are hoping the world comes to its senses and bans this sort of thing before something bad happens. Which is adorable. The more practical of us are just waiting out the inevitable death, destruction, and mayhem that's going to happen eventually, because we know that lawmakers are like children: No matter how many times you tell them not to touch the hot stove, they're not gonna listen, so you just sit back and let them burn their hands... not because you hate the kid, but because that's just the nature of what a child is.

-

So, a word of advice: If Comcast serves internet in your area and you live next to the sewage processing plant, invest in a pair of rubber wading boots.

1. fangster

Re: More than a security problem

BT uesd to do this (maybe they still do?) everytime a new version of their (never used) BT Broadband helper tool was available. It knackered all the automated ticketing systems etc. in my business (rack in my basement at the time!). I couldn't figure out what was wrong until I tried to use a web browser and it came up with the nagging page.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Facepalm

If it you downloaded that web helper tool, you deserved it for that...

(If they hijacked the router themselves when you never signed up to it, then you deserve it fro going with BT... unless they were the only choice. ;) )

2. Sven Coenye
      Coat

"We're wiring in toasters, ..."

Not a problem here. The warning will be burned on the panis pop up display....

3. JustsomeBlokeinAz
      Coat

But but but!!! STANDARDS they sputter.... I couldn't say it any better than you did.

3. Florida1920

Terabyte Territory

Lucky me. I live in a capped area. Fortunately, I only seem to be using about 1 GB/day (Thanks, uBlock Origin!). The penalty for watching too many cat vids is severe:

You have two courtesy months to exceed a terabyte of usage without charge. After using these two months, if you exceed your data usage plan you will be charged $10.00 for each 50GB of additional data provided, but charges will not exceed $200 each month, no matter how much you use.
    Reviewing past months' usage makes me think they only count bandwidth via your home/business connection. I was hitting their local hot spots regularly before this month, and the amount of bandwidth they report doesn't reflect that.

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: Terabyte Territory

Ha!

I get 60 Gbyte per rolling 30 days... Even half a terabyte would be luxury. Naturally Flash is blocked and I don't watch online video.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"But ur points are fair. (see next tweet)"

Twitter has to die.

RFC 6108

Seeing this bulshit in an RFC hurts my brain. The web needs to go HTTPS only. Also they didn't even mention contents security a policy (which would have to be stripped), or "cache-control: no-transform".

1. quxinot

It's possible to use Twitter without sounding like an illiterate teen.

I assume, at least.

5. Halcin

"As Dzombak observes, content injection doesn't work with HTTPS websites..."

And when will El Reg' become an https website? :P

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I prefer to leave it be so I know when I've hit my data cap :)

2. Sir Runcible Spoon
      Trollface

"And when will El Reg' become an https website? :P"

Why don't you just set up a mirror site and run https there?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Also their junk code probably breaks XHTML+XML pages, and document.write can be disabled using the new features-policy header.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wave Broadband in the SF Bay area is doing this also- not for data caps reasons, but as pure adware. And this is for a business account.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Guess I'll just have to poke my head out of the VPN trench now and again to see if we've tripped the limit. All. content here is through a VPN because of Comcast's other rude behaviors, DNS aside. That's the next hack on the list now. [My machines are off net, now. Go ahead, hack my tablet.] Gods above below, this sucks. Multiple Netflix, multiple subscriptions, are used to death here and they dont do business and residential on the same property, or so they tell me

9. Lee D Silver badge

PlusNet used to block all your web access if it noticed port 139 unsecured.

That's much more reasonable and much more an impetus to action.

However, with SSL etc. all that happens is sites like Google (many people's home page) will just fail to load with a security error if tampered with in that way.

How about ringing your damn customers or sending them an email?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Who uses their ISP email?

If someone rang me claiming to be from my ISP I'd tell them to phish someone else. See TalkTalk.

Not defending Comcast, but it's not easy to get in touch with customers.

1. John H Woods Silver badge

"Not defending Comcast, but it's not easy to get in touch with customers." -- Dan 55

Yeah if only they knew my address...

... but seriously, the PAYG data providers have sussed this. You hit the cap, everything stops working and you get redirected to the page where you can purchase more.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Ok, not easy to get a message quickly to the account holder before the limit is reached...

2. Adam 1

> and you get redirected to the page where you can purchase more

Which absolutely shouldn't be possible if security is done right. You can't serve a 302 when MitM a HTTPS connection unless you can convince my browser to trust the certificate you sign the page with. And with HSTS you can't even get my browser to talk HTTP even if you type it into the address bar if the server is known to support HTTPS. (Try to visit Google over HTTP)

And if you use a VPN, your ISP has exactly zero ability even for this sort of farting around. Send an SMS or email. Hardly rocket science.

2. Kernel

"Not defending Comcast, but it's not easy to get in touch with customers."

Both ISPs (and three separate accounts) I've used here in NZ give you the option of sending alerts to either/both of an email address of your choice or by SMS to a cellphone of your choice - it's not that difficult to make it happen.

3. EveryTime

"Not defending Comcast, but it's not easy to get in touch with customers."

That reminded me to login and pay my bill.

Half of the email messages in the account were obvious spam. Somehow sent to an email address that should be known only to Comcast and myself. Most of rest were Comcast marketing, even though I opted out of everything possible.

Even if the spammers were guessing by looping over every possible email addresses, Comcast should have been able to stop them before they guessed my username. So there is obviously an internal leak that resulted in a list sold to spammers.

And the Comcast originated marketing... I opted out of every list. But that doesn't keep them from sending it.

Any problems Comcast has with reaching me by email is because they have abused that path in the past. And apparently they plan on continuing that abuse.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Updraft102

I use my ISP's email... you mean this isn't how it's done anymore either?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Copyright violation?

By injecting code into the HTML, Comcast is effectively changing the contents that a web server is sending to the browser. Do they have permission from the copyright holder to do that? I'm betting they don't, which means that Comcast are probably infringing someone's copyright.

Sorry, is that a queue of lawyers I see?

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: Copyright violation?

Imagine issuing a DMCA takedown to Comcast and it working????

Then announce that you are standing for President.

You will get voted in by a landslide even in deep-red or deep-bluse states.

All my US friends hate Comcast with a vengance. In many areas, there is no alternative.

We can thank ourselves lucky that we have at least some modicum of choice here in Blighty.

11. Mage Silver badge

Inserted Adverts

I've noticed this on the supplied browsers on Android, but not on Firefox.

Also inserted adverts in Apps.

Mobiles have tiny screens compared to laptop. It's evil.

1. Antron Argaiv Silver badge

Re: Inserted Adverts

Comcast has been inserting ads into cable programming ("Spotlight") for years.

12. frank ly

Virgin Media were more 'sophisticated'

About two years ago, I started getting an extra tab opening in my browser. It was apparently from Virgin Media (my ISP) telling me my account filters were set to 'family safety is on' and I had to visit the website and sign in if I wanted the 'family safety' filter turned off. I thought this was strange because about two years before that, I'd told them over the phone to turn all filters off when I took out a new contract. So, I closed the tab after swearing a bit at the interruption.

After a week of this, every time I started the browser, I phoned their technical support to ask what was happening. Some new law regarding 'protecting children' had been enacted and my verbal statement of two years previously was now no longer enough. I had to make a definite recorded choice to allow dangerous filth into my home. So I did.

They could have explained this on the injected tab but no; it was, "this is how it is, you have to do something."

13. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

Dumbass f*cking morons everywhere trying to ruin the WWW.

Tired of it.

14. ecofeco Silver badge

Thank god for No Script

Thank god for No Script. It was the only way I could stop those goddamn pop ups.

Have I mentioned "fuck American companies" lately? Yeah, fuck American companies.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My god its 2016, who's on a capped connection in this stone age?

1. Don Dumb
      Flame

It isn't 2016 here.

@AC - "My god its 2016, who's on a capped connection in this stone age?"

The vast majority of UK internet users

Although whether most people *understand* their usage is limited is a different matter of course.

I'm currently shopping around to see if I can get a better deal on broadband, I have FTTC and no Virgin availability. The competition seems to be fierce *IF* you don't mind a double digit GB limit. Once you look at 'unlimited' usage, there is little to differ between providers. And of course, unlimited, rarely means that*.

I can't work out is why so many people want really fast Fibre but accept limits so low that that they could conceivably burn through their monthly limit in barely more than an hour.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Phorm? Is that you?

I'll get my coat....

17. That_Guy

The second I see any injected notification I'll dump cc faster than you can say dwindling customer base.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What could possibly go wrong?

Next: A pop-up of Dear Leader accompanied by the Workers Anthem

19. Howard Hanek
    Happy

Block Comcast Content

Very simple if your adblocker permits personal user filters.......

20. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Telkom is also doing this thing here in Sunny South Africa.

But only if you're using a capped account, and you're using an HTTP stream.

Which is both a good thing, and a bad thing... good to know when you're nearing your cap, and bad because of coitus interuptus things.

21. springsmarty

I have no graceful way to moderate traffic

TCP/IP just wasn't meant to be metered and this post is just me venting. Comcast claims my home uses 1.8 TB per month and that is more than 99% of their customers. I have no easy way to verify either claim. I have a lot of tech, three teenage boys, my spouse, and me in this home.

I called them and asked how I am supposed to comply. They asked what I am doing to use the internet. Do I game? No, but my three boys do. Do I watch Netflix or YouTube? Occasionally and the rest of my family does. Where is the data going? Is it Evernote updating multiple instances? Is it because if TiVo updates? Is it because I stream audio from my server? Is it Windows updates of multiple machines? Is it WebEx I use because I work from home? Is it synchronizing corporate email?

Just dropping this new cap on my home and telling me that it's OK because they made a data meter available is complete crap.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like