back to article Outlook outage outrage

An unknown issue affecting Microsoft's free email service Outlook has left users' email clients borked. The apparent outage is being widely complained about on sites such as Down Detector and Down Today, where many users have claimed they have been unable to access their accounts through email clients for as long as three days …

1. Alister

AD authentication borked

The error I was getting mentioned something to do with Federated Trust issues.

The exact error was:

Error="AuthFailed:LogonDenied-FederatedStsUnreachable"

when trying to log in to POP using a hotmail.co.uk account, which suggests an issue with AD domains and the Trust between them.

As mentioned in the article, I set up an alias on my account using the outlook.com domain, and using that I was able to connect and retrieve mail as normal.

1. Halfmad

Re: AD authentication borked

Hope they have Microsoft Premier support at Microsoft otherwise they *******s won't help. :)

2. djstardust

Pigeons

Far more reliable, although they do small quite bad and shit all over the place.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Re: Pigeons

although they do small quite bad and shit all over the place

Which one?

2. macjules

Sounds like a typical day at Redmond if you ask me

1. Pigeon

Ere, steady on you lot.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Are you saying that my lovely, plump, speckily pigeon called Speckled Jim is not a suitable messaging platform? I'll have you court-marshaled.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Are you saying that my lovely, plump, speckily pigeon called Speckled Jim is not a suitable messaging platform? I'll have you court-marshaled.

*Burp*. Too late..

1. Diginerd
              Coat

^... SHOULD read RFC2549 ("IP over Avian Carriers with Quality of Service").

"Unintentional encapsulation in hawks has been known to occur, with decapsulation being messy and the packets mangled."

More pigeon carnage here: - https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2549

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unable to access my Hotmail account via Thunderbird here

It's been 3 days.

4. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Joke

On the 'Outlook' for a 'Lookout'

for a Exchange of Id's that it is working again.

Lookout is certainly living up to its pretty shoddy reputation.

5. gv

Welcome to the Cloud

Where all your data is safe and secure, and accessible whenever you need it.

Allegedly.

1. fidodogbreath

Re: Welcome to the Cloud

What's the issue? The "relevant ad" servers are running great. From M$' perspective, the Cloud is working as intended. TATSUP, if you will.

6. batfastad

Free

So just ask for a refund.

1. fidodogbreath

Re: Free

Your cloud system is not working. Can I please have my privacy back?

7. aregross
    Thumb Up

"Free

So just ask for a refund."

I chortled at that, Good Job!

8. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Devil

msn mail still working via thunderbird

hmmm... my msn mail address is still working via thunderbird.

maybe it's the mail clients? Or maybe it's the UK servers and it's not affecting the USA?

1. cambsukguy

Re: msn mail still working via thunderbird

Hotmail.co.uk works fine, haven't seen an issue.

But then nor has my hotmail.com partner, in the UK at least

1. Geoffrey W

Re: msn mail still working via thunderbird

3 MSN USA accounts here. 2 work fine, 1 fails to authorise using Thunderbird. I suspect its a problem with a single server, or group of servers. If the account uses that server to authorise then no go. However, setting up an alias for the account, as mentioned above and in article, worked and can access all mail again, though original email address still fails.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MS hasn't responded yet?

Maybe they can't get your email!

*Runs away before someone smacks me*

=-D

10. Pazl

Just Hotmail?

Just a mail problem? Have not gotten a weather update from the MSN weather app since Sunday, and Microsoft Store only started working for me bout noon Tuesday.

11. psychonaut

they left out....

thanks to psychonaut for tipping us off...

12. Nai

Technically the "I am getting the same problem which, for me, was due to the "<username>@hotmail.com"" was not strictly correct, because it was actually my spouse's @hotmail.com address that was no-longer able to collect emails via IMAP. (Not sure whether SMTP was similarly failing, as no emails sent). I was already using @outlook.com credentials but in an otherwise identical configuration. So it was an educated guess as to what was probably going wrong, and the educated guess at a fix did indeed solve spouse's email collection probem.

13. ecofeco Silver badge

I NEVER get tired of saying this

How's that cloud thing workin' for ya?

14. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

And this is why I don't trust anything cloudy... it may have borkage in it...

Sure, on paper it looks great - no physical server or hardware to worry about, no email admin to pay, no licence fees to worry about...

...until cloud services bork horribly, and you cannot send/receive any emails...

...and lose a multimilliondollar contract.

Now suddenly a dedicated server with email software and a dedicated email admin looks cheaper compared to the money you've lost...

Face it, you don't need somebody to be present 24x7x365 at the email server. The server itself can sit on your premises, but you can contract somebody to come and check its health once every week or so. Same with the hardware, there are many options out there. Purchasing a server outright may not be in your best interest, you can perhaps lease a server (and get a new server every 2 years this way).

But if your business aren't reliant on emails (small home office etc) then cloud is the best bet, although keep in mind it will be wibbly and wobbly.

1. psychonaut

get it hosted

by someone who isnt a total cock.

use a local, small sized, dedicated hosting firm. hosted exchange is bloody lovely if it s looked after by the right people.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They certainly are doing some stuff with accounts and identity generally.

Have a look here: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/enterprisemobility/2016/09/15/cleaning-up-the-azure-ad-and-microsoft-account-overlap/ It looks innocuous but it's caused nightmares for a number of corporates. It seems to have been poorly planned with no though for unintended consequences.

I bet this is related in some way.

16. lglethal Silver badge
    Flame

OK only semi related but...

Who was the stupid git who thought it would be a good idea to replace the standard Hotmail login screen (you know enter username and password and then hit send), into 2 different pages. First you have to enter your email address, send that off, load new page, enter Password, send that off, and then you can load your email.

Who in the world has said, "you know that using a single page to enter your email credentials. thats a Problem, we should change that! Lets add a second loading page, because thats what the world really Needs!"

Muppets...

1. Geoff Heaton

Re: OK only semi related but...

Maybe they thought that's what you need for 2 step authentication! :)

17. Diginerd
    FAIL

Azure... Aptly named

Blue sky & no cloud!

- Xposted from other thread

18. PeterM42
    Facepalm

MicroCRAP strikes again....

Lookout/Coldmail fails again - and we are surprised?

NO!!!! MicroCRAP are heading for the history books as they flounder around, failing to test and bringing out CRAP products. I tried helping someone with a Windows 8 - RT machine the other day - IT'S PATHETIC! How anyone could pass that for release/sale is beyond me.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like