back to article WDLabs goes Pi-eyed and sees triple

WDLabs has introduced a Raspberry Pi storage subsystem with three drive products and multiple OS project spaces. The Brit-designed, credit card-sized computer is hot stuff – some ten million have been sold since the first generation's release in 2012. WD's PiDrive Foundation Edition products combine microSD card and USB drive …

1. Buzzword

Correction

The capacities are 375GB, 250GB, and 64GB. The middle one is not 350GB!

1. batfastad

Re: Correction

Thanks. That caused me a WTF as well.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

And it most likely blows across all three

The Pi is a nice piece of kit until you try to use the USB in earnest. As in storage, uvcvideo or god forbid a combination of them and or networking (which is also off USB).

I tried building a "DIY Time capsules", "outbuilding servers" and/or CTTV systems out of one of my spare Pis. The moment I tried attaching a decent drive to them they no longer survived receiving the weekly backup (situation was OK with older slow drives). Ditto for running USB 3G modems. Ditto for trying to run the wifi as an AP (as it is over the same broken USB). Ditto for trying to run any serious storage/network load while having a USB uvcvideo. And so on.

If you really want storage on an Arm Soc - get a Banana. I have not had a single issue once I replaced my "USB in use" Raspberries with tropical fruit and relegated the Razzies to duties which do not involve strenuous USB exertions. When you do not need to use the USB, the Pi shines by the way - I have systems with 6+ months uptime doing motion using the built in camera and/or stuff via GPIO.

3. DrXym

esata

Maybe WD should bung a bit of cash / support at RPi to add esata support and not one which goes through USB under the covers.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: esata

That would be tricky as the SOC only offers USB and GPIO.

Pi needs a new SOC or a bigger overhaul of the BCM2837 to get round these USB 2 constraints.

But it was never intended for many of the tasks that people try and make it fit to.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Warranties

2 years for spinning rust but only 1 for the solid state?

I thought solid state was being sold as more reliable?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like