back to article The Naked Product Launch: 30 seconds to sell a robot

Previously, you made it clear that most of you think that test harnesses are a GoodThingTM. Ready for launch: zarro boogs found Getting ready to crowdfund a product is not quite like shipping or releasing a normal product. We did find and kill at least the most critical of the bugs that I agonised over last week (hurrah) …

1. Dr Stephen Jones
    Facepalm

What is Radbot's true purpose?

I have a theory is that this series of self indulgent, content-free advertorials is a new kind of torture weapon devised by the CIA, as a retaliation against Vladimir Putin's bot army. All I can say is "Go CIA!", but please stop inflicting it on us guinea pigs here.

1. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

Re: What is Radbot's true purpose?

Short version: It's an electronic TRV (Thermostatic Radiator Valve) head, designed to do what the likes of Hive do, but without the expense and data slurping, but with per-room control. The idea is that a "normal user" (ie the ones who haven't a clue what a time clock is supposed to do or how to program it) can fit these on the existing valves and instantly get the benefits. The only "complicated" bit of the install is connecting the (optional) relay interface to the boiler so the TRVs can signal when the boiler needs to run and shut it down when not needed.

Longer version: Head over to http://opentrv.org.uk/principles/ where the philosophy is explained.

1. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

Re: What is Radbot's true purpose?

A thumb down for that, Really ? Would the person responsible care to give me a clue why ?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Woosh

Downvoted because that went right over your head, Mr Sensitive.

The device's true purpose is obvious. Why we are subjected to very low quality advertorial every week is less clear.

2. israel_hands

What the fuck is this? Is that "comic" at the start supposed to be funny? Or to tell a story? I'm genuinely puzzled at what the shit is going on here.

I wish I hadn't bothered clicking every image in the comic, but I had to see if there was going to be a punchline. Or anything to justify the effort that went into producing it.

As for the rest of the article? It's like a Steve Bong column played straight. With a shit comic at the start. Or like being stuck in a lift while two of the clones from marketing dribble on about some twitter bullshit campaign they're planning.

3. Warm Braw

To crowdfund a product is not quite like shipping or releasing a normal product

Which is why a crowdfunded project would probably have to offer significant advantages over a normal product that is shipped and released already, other than simply being "open".

1. PerspexAvenger

Re: To crowdfund a product is not quite like shipping or releasing a normal product

Don't forget "gratuitously late", which is the value-add I've had for most of the KS projects I've backed thus far...

4. teknopaul

wtf

I'm lost wtf is this about, stupid cartoon thing does not work in Opera mini, my reg reader of choice. Wasnt really worth the effort to swap to firefox.

Can you put a not news/skippable nonsense logo on these in the future?

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Re: wtf

Well, it's labelled "Radbot". By all means skip that.

Register readers' heating problem is to dispose of the thermal excess from the servers in the basement, so none of us use radiator heaters. Well, I do, but I have little interest in ever turning them off.

5. Evil Auditor Silver badge
    WTF?

wtf++

Can't really add anything to the comments already posted here. It's just one more WTF?

But then again, neither did this article add anything. I just wonder if that's the official English translation of "Lorem Ipsum" including a suitably meaningless illustration.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon