back to article Three to appear in court over TalkTalk hack

Three men are due to appear at the Old Bailey charged with various offences linked to an investigation into the mega TalkTalk hack a year ago. The investigation was launched in October 2015 by the Met's Falcon Cyber Crime Unit following the hack in which 157,000 of its customers' personal details were accessed. On Tuesday, 15 …

1. John Arthur
    Mushroom

Three to appear in court over TalkTalk hack

Am I the only one to think that the operator Three (3) is to appear in court?

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Re: Three to appear in court over TalkTalk hack

No - I read the headline in exactly the same way, and assumed some inter-company shennanigans

1. Kubla Cant

Me too!

1. JetSetJim
          Coat

Me Three

1. Dan Wilkie

Me Seven!

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Orange.

1. Kubla Cant

To make it even worse, another Reg story today has the headline "Three Mobile, two alleged hackers, one big customer database heist".

My brain hurts. Time for the pub.

2. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

And to add to the confusion, in other news this happened... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38022309

3. Alan J. Wylie

I await the headline

"TalkTalk to appear in court over Three hack"

4. Calleb III

"working" as intended by the author...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Poor show

Not only were they comprehensively hacked, but they were done over by a small group of total amateurs.

What sort of sloppy operation gets done over by a few stupid kids?

1. Captain Scarlet

Re: Poor show

Those that "care" deeply about the security of customer data only after it has been stolen from them.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

One where there's no penalty for failure and security is only seen as a cost.

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

One where there's no penalty for failure and security is only seen as a cost.

...and where is the court case against the TalkTalk executives that did not permit/push for the investment needed to prevent simple hacks like the ones that opened up TalkTalk?

3. Alister

they would have got away with it too if it wasn't for those meddling kids!

4. Mark 85

Well... at least they were arrested. Over here, all the TLA's and the hacked company spout is "Russians" or "NORKS". <sigh>

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"three to appear in court"

"Three men ... " - damn, not Dido Harding answering for failure in her responsibilities to customers then.

1. Zulu 10

Dido Harding was at Oxford with David Cameron which is, I suspect, why she wasn't taken to task over this at the time it happened.

I wrote to my MP this morning asking how long it will be, and how bad things will have to get, before they start making CEOs, CIOs etc personally responsible.

Doubt I'll get a reply, but you never know...

1. You aint sin me, roit

Asked if the affected customer data was encrypted or not, she replied: "The awful truth is that I don’t know".

The awful truth is that as a Baroness, a Conservative life peer, the wife of a Conservative minister and a personal friend of Call Me Dave, she doesn't give a toss because she knows she's bombproof.

4. Captain Badmouth
    Thumb Down

Only male defendants?

There is at least one woman who should be appearing alongside them!

Beaten by ac above.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is it only me that thinks...

... that TalkTalk should face at least the combined punishment handed out to these fools, failure to secure your data should be seen as leaving the window open to burglars. Yes a crime was committed but TT virtually invited them in

If TT had their priorities right then no one would be wasting tax payers money fixing a problem that should never been allowed to exist.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: Is it only me that thinks...

But that's the point. It is the tax payers money. So nothing for them to worry about.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like