back to article Power 'issue' fells UK web registrar's servers

A power outage has felled servers running UK domain name register and web host Names.co.uk and simplyhosting.com. Names.co.uk apologised Tuesday morning for what it called an issue in an “isolated area of our UK data centre." The outage struck at 9am UK time. Websites and email services for what Names.co.uk reckoned were a “ …

1. Paul 164

Doesn't seem so isolated

I received a server down alert at 8.35am this morning and the server we have with them is still offline.

Their portal briefly came back online 30 minutes ago which said everything was online, but the server was still inaccessible. Now accessing the portal is timing out.

My boss is now understandably fuming and we're receiving hassle from pissed off clients.

2. WonkoTheSane
    Big Brother

Pebkac?

Looks like the NSA/GCHQ sniffer install had a TITSUP.

3. Paul 164

They've now resorted to copy-and-paste replies on social media! Great way to piss your customers off who are requesting more info and a possible ETA!

4. orangepeel

EUKHost had an eerily similar issue today.

http://euk-status.com/2016/11/15/network-issue-with-one-of-our-dc-zone-2/

5. andyheat

Not so isolated

I'm hosted with Memset who have a DC in Reading. Based on the similarity with Names/Simply, I'm guessing they are colocated in the same DC.

If that's the case I find it hard to believe it was an "isolated" incident to a "small number" of Simply's customers.

Memset's status page is quite informative:

"An area of Reading experienced a power failure earlier this morning which affected both the primary and secondary power feeds to the data centre. Issues transitioning onto generator power resulted in power loss to our entire estate. Currently all power has been restored to the data centre and we are working to resolve any outstanding secondary issues affecting a small number of customers.

We will issue a full report once our internal investigation is complete."

6. indigomm

Lost potential clients?

If you lose clients as a result of an outage to your hosting, then you need to look at how you are hosting your site and your backup plans. We're way, way, past the days of building solutions and just hoping they don't fail. It's *your* responsibility to examine the products each provider has and work out the solution that can provide the reliability that works for your business. And yes, we got hit too but our critical services all kept running without anyone noticing.

7. batfastad
    Coat

Small number of customers...

So 100% of their userbase then? :p

Seriously, these are in the same bucket as 123-reg and Fasthosts for me.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

7PM and still many servers offline - the worst part of the whole situation is the complete lack of concrete information about what's happening. If we knew the extent of the outage and could perhaps gauge the expected duration we may well have been able to bring services back online from backups instead! That may not be a bad idea now, 11 hours in.

9. Styx
    Mushroom

Servers Still Offline

We started today with 5 of 5 servers down so I know this has at least affected 151.236.x.x, 31.193.x.x, 94.76.x.x and 213.229.x.x

And.. 2 servers we have within 213.229.x.x are still offline.

1. Styx

Re: Servers Still Offline

2 servers offline for 24 hours and the most detail we've had in any feedback is "we're looking into it" (as of 12 hours ago).

They seem incapable of even identifying what the problem is.

I dunno what to think... other than... I clearly need a new hosting solution! :(

10. HomerJ

Server also still offline

Server in the 213.229 range here - offline since 8.35am making that 15h30m downtime, still no clue what's actually gone or going on or been given an ETA.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like