back to article Six weeks after first ever profit warning Capita does what Capita does

Capita has taken the knife to the business, cutting out an entire layer of management and slicing and dicing the divisional structure, six weeks after its first profit warning. The blundering integrator and outsourcing giant said it will fold the current units into six; private and public sector partnerships; professional …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So They've Done a Toblerone on Themselves?

I used to work for this bunch of cowboys in tech support and quite frankly I am amazed it's taken this long for them to start losing money when I consider how they do business. I got out as soon as I could.

A big part of the problem is that the idiots who outsource to them haven't got a clue themselves, and they can't see the damage it is doing to their businesses as customer after customer gets half-assed support which is only interested in the number of calls handled and not the number of problems solved.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: @FergusMac

bit cheeky I know, but do you know how they generate the datamatrix for PIP forms.

I can read the one on my wifes form with any barcode software. It's recognised as a 40x40 datamatrix type TEXT

<NI number>*<NI suffix>*<claimant postcode>*<8 digits>*<4 digits>*<2 digits>*<(presumably) destination postcode**000

However, all the (admittedly free :) ) datamatrix generation software produces a different looking code (although it scans to be exactly the same data as the original).

since I want to print this bad boy on the bottom of every page, I don't want to risk it failing because it's not the "Capita" code.

(I know it's Capita - we're in the Midlands).

Alternatively, does any El Regger know of a tool to read in a photo, and REPRODUCE the data matrix it shows ??

Thanks in advance, guys.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: @FergusMac

Unfortunately not. I worked much farther down the chain than that.

2. Wensleydale Cheese

Data Matrix FAQ

Dunno if this helps, but it has lots of useful looking links:

Data Matrix 2D Barcode ISO/IEC 16022 FAQ

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Data Matrix FAQ

TX. That was the site which is generating the "correct" (but looks different) code.

It's gone from being an oddity, to something I'm curious about ... I wonder if there's some sort of leeway in the spec which allows random/noisy squares to be printed, and ignored - almost like a datamatrix fingerprint ?

If so, my second thought - of an app to *reproduce* the code would be the kiss of death it it's some kind of noddy copy-protection scheme ?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So They've Done a Toblerone on Themselves?

Amen to those comments! They are exactly that, glorified bean counters only interested in call and email volumes! They have also dropped the salary of support staff to minimum wage, which means that in the majority of cases, support teams end up with ex burger flippers handling support issues

#yougetwhatyoupayfor

Also the b*stards made an entire ITES team redundant in December 2016 just in time for Christmas.

2. Anonymous Custard
    Trollface

Timelines

So we can summarise that it takes 6 weeks to hire management consultants and for them to recommend cutting out enough staff to cover at least half of what they're being paid for the recommendation?

Has to have been a rush job though, as they've failed to do the usual trick of cutting back on those who are keeping the promises rather than those who are making them and then walking away leaving the mess behind (and then blaming those who curiously failed to produce the promised silk purse from the supplied pigs ear, and that it took twice the promised time as there's a curious lack of people available to work on it).

3. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Why don't they just have one unit?

Called Fuck Ups 'Я' Us

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why don't they just have one unit?

Careful what you wish for. My company pension administration has just been moved from Crapita to A N Other set of grasping, incompetent Goons. They (the new Goons) misreported my potential pension payments (for this year) to HMRC. The effect would have been to tax ALL my pension at 40%, and according to the Notice of Coding, I would still owe HMRC nearly £1,000 at the end of the Tax year. Fortunately the 'agent' at HMRC quickly spotted what the new Goons had done wrong.

4. Sam Therapy

Nowt useful to add but...

Thought I'd join in the collective kicking they're getting here.

Having worked for 'em years back, I can confirm they're a total shower of bastards.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not sure why this crowd are still in business.

The GP records fiasco is another story that will run and run. They have offered to run the service for 40% less than the NHS and TRANSFORM it at the same time. Unfortunately for GPs they have made a complete hash of it.

6. hoola Silver badge

Managment

And those at the top who are leaving, pushed or whatever will all be going with a tidy lump from the profit, 90% or of which has come from the UK Tax Payer.

The trouble with all the outsourcing & cloudy stuff is that the very same management consultants that say it is all cool, go in at the top level of an organisation with some funky Powerpoint slides and smart talk that everyone believes. The next thing is it is all signed and sealed and before the disaster strikes, those in senior management have gone and joined some other Public Sector outfit. And so the wheel goes round and round.

Those in Finance and IT then and up have too look after the resulting pile of poo that has been left.

7. PeterM42
    Facepalm

You have misspelt again...

...its spelt CRAPITA

8. cantankerous swineherd

unbelievably john lewis outsourced customer service (over the phone) to these twats.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Absolute Shower of Shit Capita

I worked for these knob jockeys up until a few years ago in a public sector acquisition. I was hard working, happy to get on and make strides for the 'business' it had become.

Sadly, these idiots haven't got a clue, they don't give a toss about people and only end up cutting of their nose to spite their face. Good riddance to them, I hope they end up in the gutter where they deserve to be!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like