back to article Is that you, HAL? AI can now see secrets through lipreading – kinda

AI surveillance could be about to get a lot more advanced, as researchers move on from using neural networks for facial recognition to lipreading. A paper submitted by researchers from the University of Oxford, Google DeepMind and the Canadian Institute for Advanced Research is under review for ICLR 2017 (Conference on …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm sorry Dave

I can't let you do that

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm sorry Dave

... quietly puts pig's head back into the fridge.

2. Ole Juul
    Coat

security?

Londoners saw this coming and developed cockney, which is effective to this day.

1. Joe Werner Silver badge
      Happy

Re: security?

... and 5 million Norwegians have 4.5 million different dialects. At least. (plus two different written forms of Norwegian, plus several Sami languages).

3. Dr Scrum Master

"What was that, Sooty?"

"You don't have any lips but I can still understand your squeaking."

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lipstick

I wonder if wearing lipstick that doesn't "stay within the lines" on your lips would mess it up?

1. Autonomous Cowherd

Re: Lipstick

Potentially. I wonder if you've come across CV Dazzle - a similar concept for facial recognition... https://ahprojects.com/projects/cv-dazzle/

2. David 164

I suspect that it would take so much lipstick that the people who will try this will stick out like a sore thumb anyway.

But it would be hilarious seeing drug dealers going around town wearing make up for fear that a camera just might be lip reading them.

1. You aint sin me, roit

Assuming "spatiotemporal visual features" means "how your mouth moves when you talk", rather than detecting ripples in the space-time continuum, ventriloquist clowns should be OK.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Time to start learning Navajo, I reckon ...

6. Pat Harkin

"sentence-level sequence"

I don't really think those are sentences. It's just five goes at picking a word from a known category./ I'd love to see how it gets on with "Soon 1 in blue put moon", which I'm now imagining in a Frank Oz voice.

7. Richard 31
    Paris Hilton

Orville will be safe...

Or at least the twonk he sits on.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Orville will be safe...

I guess being dead would have a lot to do with that ...

8. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Well, what with all the VR headgear and smog masks us MegaCity dwellers will wear...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like