back to article FBI drops bombshell, and investigation: Clinton still in the clear

The FBI's backed away from its almost-unprecedented (and much-criticised) intervention in the US Federal election, announcing there's nothing to investigate in the “Anthony Weiner e-mails”. The news has broken in a Tweet from Jason Chaffetz, chairman of the House Oversight Committee. FBI Dir just informed us "Based on our …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Neat. Throw a spanner in the works - and then try to claim credit for proving there was no substance to it.

Mud sticks. Probably too late for people to change their early vote again.

The tweet from Jason Chaffetz, chairman of the House Oversight Committee, did not spell out that there was nothing to find previously or now. How many voters will have made the assumption from that wording that something had been proved previously - viz confirmation bias?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Comey realized he was going to be destroyed by the Clinton/Obama axis (and was already being publically lynched by the corporate media), so being the weak Obama toady he is, he lost what little spine he'd collected and folded like a sleeve.

So nothing has actually changed (apparently), and we are still witnesses to a major criminal coverup that puts to shame anything Nixon tried.

2. Brian Miller

Early vote??

Clinton is running against Trump. What could Clinton possibly do to get one of her supporters to switch to voting for Trump?

IT angle: when your employer wants you to set up an illegal server, just say no for their own protection.

1. Jim 43

Re: Early vote??

When a cabinet member tell you to do something, you fucking do it or you're gone. You'll be fired two words into "I'm refusing for your own protection".

1. W4YBO

"When a cabinet member tell you to do something, you fucking do it or you're gone. You'll be fired two words into "I'm refusing for your own protection""

I'll bet that the IT guy that invoked his Fifth Amendment rights (against self-incrimination) during the House hearings now wishes that was the case. We'll be hearing from him again.

2. Brian Miller

"When a cabinet member tell you to do something..."

#1, in the Army, we were trained not to follow illegal orders. If not following an illegal order costs me my job, then so be it. The paycheck isn't worth the prison time. #2, if you are fired illegally, you can always sue them. #3, you'll be a shoo-in for the opposition party IT group.

3. You aint sin me, roit

Re: You'll be fired two words into "I'm refusing for your own protection".

However, they have to hear you out if you use your IT lawyer skills...

"For your own protection, and for a variety of reasons including, but not limited to, state security, I'm refusing."

If you are an IT professional you'd be more flexible, while covering your arse...

"A secure email server would be preferable. If you insist on an insecure server then I can do it but I'll need confirmation that you specifically requested an insecure system. In writing."

If you are an IT salesman you'd quickly see an opportunity...

"How about a secure email server... costs a bit more, but peace of mind is well worth the extra expense."

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Brian Miller

You're right that there's almost nothing Clinton could do to get one of her supporters to switch their vote to Trump, and the same is true for Trump's supporters, of course. Maybe not quite reaching the level of shooting someone on Fifth Avenue, but pretty close...

What moved the polls after Comey's bombshell wasn't Clinton supporters abandoning her, it was people caught in the middle who hate BOTH candidates, and are voting based on "who sucks less". He caused some of those voters in the middle to go from "Clinton sucks less" to "Trump sucks less". Now that he's said they looked at everything and there's nothing there, most of them will probably go back to their former position. Of course, some will have cast early votes for Trump, or might not listen to the news very often and not hear about Comey's takeback before they vote so undoubtedly the whole thing was a pretty big net win for Trump - if nothing else it allowed his handlers to convince him to stay on message for the last couple weeks and not keep bringing up stuff like how he's going to sue all his accusers.

I imagine if Trump wins a squeaker there will be a lot of recrimination about how the whole thing was handled - though Clinton winning by a comfortable margin seems most likely. What it probably accomplished was taking "Clinton landslide" off the table, and increases the chances that republicans will be able to hold the senate. That's certainly still up in the air, but a couple weeks ago it looked like they had little hope there.

3. dan1980

For once I have some sympathy for Comey.

From the outside, it looks to be a bit of a rock-and-a-hard-place affair as it's easy to imagine the response had they kept it quiet.

The 'open government' side of me thinks they did the right thing in saying that what they were doing. If a politician is being investigated by federal law enforcement then I want to know. Deliberately keeping this information (just the simple fact that it is happening) from the public because it is close to an election make me uneasy.

I have serious doubts whether those who were intending to vote for Clinton would have been dissuaded by this.

Regardless, Comey's announcement of it was a mess.

2. Afernie
    Megaphone

Hatch Act, politically motivated violation of.

Won't it be interesting to see if the rules apply to Comey?

1. Ole Juul

Re: Hatch Act, politically motivated violation of.

Comey is just trying to navigate the political pressures. He doesn't really have the level of control that many outsiders think he has.

2. Wibble

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatch_Act_of_1939

"The Hatch Act of 1939, officially An Act to Prevent Pernicious Political Activities, is a United States federal law whose main provision prohibits employees in the executive branch of the federal government, except the president, vice-president, and certain designated high-level officials of that branch,[1] from engaging in some forms of political activity."

Staggering abuse of power from a civil servant at such a sensitive time.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

What? Staggering abuse of power?

Oh, I see, you're talking about Mrs. Clinton. Right.

You ARE talking about her crimes as an official, and the coverup, right?

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

> Staggering abuse of power from a civil servant at such a sensitive time.

It's not like the President himself could be admired emitting recommendations as to his own successor.

Very unseemly.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Are you really suggesting it is "unseemly" for Obama to publicly support Clinton? I guess you must have forgot about Reagan campaigning for Bush back in the day? The reason Clinton didn't campaign for Gore and Bush Jr. didn't campaign for McCain is because they were both quite unpopular by the end of their terms, and Gore/McCain didn't want their help!

It is a time honored tradition for presidents to campaign for their party's successor, or their party's congressional candidates, governors, etc. This is why the Hatch Act specifically exempts the president and vice president.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

It is time honoured, but not the way Obama is doing it. He recently stated that the GOP has to "answer" for letting Trump be their candidate. Now you may think that's so, but you can't deny that it's a low, personal blow against the opposition candidate. It is in no way positive campaigning.

Name a lame duck GOP President (in the last 100 years) who went personally negative like that during a bitter campaign for his successor. Better yet, let me try.

Lessee, there was Eisenhower. Nah, he'd never disparage a fellow service member like that. Hmmm, there's Nixon, but he never got the chance. Ford? Just a big dumb jock, wouldn't hurt a fly, and anyway he was running himself. Reagan didn't need to, nor Bush 1. Bush 2 did, but I don't recall him attacking Obama all that much, or at all really.

I guess that leaves Hoover and previous. Can't really say personally if they did this stuff or not, but I'd guess you have to go further back to find anything relevant.

So no, Obama is not following a GOP tradition, that much we know. As for the Democrats?

I don't recall even Bill Clinton engaging in this sort of behavior as President. Only Obama. Figures.

Thumb Down

Are you really suggesting it is "unseemly" for Obama to publicly support Clinton?

Yes I fscking do.

If Michelle O. cries before the mic that she is "shaken to her core" by Trump's boorish behaviour, that's ok. But Mister O. is jetting around on taxpayer dime and his job title commands that he stay a bit aloof.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Big John, I think you have to admit this campaign is unlike any others in terms of how low both sides have sunk in negativity. Many of the things Trump has said would have been disqualifying in previous campaigns where relatively innocuous statements about "binders full of women" or as simple as walking up and standing close to an opponent during a debate were endlessly discussed faux pas that moved the polls.

I don't ever recall a presidential candidate of either party suggesting that he'd appoint a special prosecutor tasked with putting his opponent in jail - something that happens only in banana republics, until now. I don't recall sitting senators - especially ones widely respected on both sides of the aisle like McCain - suggesting that they will not do their constitutional duty and will instead block the opposition's Supreme Court nominees for four full years. Is it really that surprising that the sitting president's discourse - even if it hasn't come anywhere near the level of others - has reached a new low as well? We can only hope this campaign is an aberration caused by Trump's presence, and it will mark a low level that will never be matched, rather than a new standard that will be exceeded once again in four years.

Most of my republican friends who are supporting Trump are holding their nose while doing it, voting against Clinton rather than for him. Some who refuse to support Trump are writing in their candidate of choice from the primary as a protest, believing that a President Trump will do much more to hurt the party, and believe that if it can recover and nominate someone without his baggage in 2020 they're looking at the prospect of a landslide victory over Clinton - something I thing is pretty likely and most democrats simply do not realize. They are as unhappy as anyone about how low things have sunk, but correctly put the blame on Trump as the instigator.

Of course I know a few who have supported Trump all along, and they have very different ideas about all these things. I have no idea which camp you fall into, but pointing the finger at Obama is pretty silly when what he's saying is hardly worthy of notice versus the outrageous statements being made by both sides - let alone the far worse wildly untrue crap supporters of both sides are sharing over Facebook, originating from alt.right and alt.left (dunno if that's a thing, but whatever the left equivalent is) sites that don't give a shit about truth, only serving red meat to their followers.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

> "I don't ever recall a presidential candidate of either party suggesting that he'd appoint a special prosecutor tasked with putting his opponent in jail - something that happens only in banana republics, until now."

It can happen in a legit republic if a candidate has been caught red-handed selling her office to foreign leaders for hundreds of millions in 'donations' to her obvious slush fund. That kind of political corruption, operating unopposed, is much more indicative of a banana republic, don't you think? Honest Americans don't really want to go down that road.

However, I agree that it's a bit harsh to prosecute the old lady. After all, at this point what difference does it make?

3. Mark 85

Someone in the DOJ said they apply to Comey in this case. Now that he's retracted with the "nothing to see here, ignore what I said last week", he should be charged.

Disclaimer: I dislike both prime candidates equally and the sideshow they've been running and calling it a campaign. The 3rd party candidates are a joke. These are sad and scary times for the Republic.

4. Eddy Ito
      Meh

@Afernie

Which portion of the Hatch Act would he have violated? In reviewing the actual law the only possible charge that could be brought against him falls under subsection (a) paragraph (1) "use his official authority or influence for the purpose of interfering with or affecting the result of an election;" and that's going to be pretty difficult to make stick. See that "for the purpose of" bit? Good luck proving intent unless you're so adamant about spending more taxpayer dollars for absolutely nothing when it's pretty clear he'll be out of a job in fairly short order. It seems pretty clear that all the Hatch Act talk is just defensive posturing and not actual consideration of bringing charges.

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Gimp

I'm feeling like Alex in "A Clockwork Orange"

I'm watching this election trainwreck while listening to Beethoven.

GARY JOHNSOOONNNNN!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm feeling like Alex in "A Clockwork Orange"

"I'm watching this election trainwreck while listening to Beethoven."

Strapped into your chair with your eyelids taped open? Some of the election rallies do remind me of the 1930/40s newsreels that Alex was watching.

Apparently the Rolling Stones are not very happy about their music being used in some rallies. A fast tempo William Tell overture might have been more appropriate.

1. frank ly

Can't the Rolling Stones and other artists bring injunctions against unapproved use of their music?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

That depends on who owns/controls the copyright and/or distribution rights in, in this case, the US. The major labels try to insist that musicians assign them all rights in their music which of course the newer artists find hard to resist if the alternative is no contract. I don't know what the Stones' excuse is though - maybe they haven't been able to get back control of their older material, or maybe they don't really care ?

The CD I'm listening to at the moment has on the sleeve: "... accepts no reason for artists to assign the copyright interests in their work to either record company or management by virtue of a 'common practice' which was always questionable, often improper, and is now indefensible"

1. WonkoTheSane

I rather suspect that the only thing an artist can do if their tune is used by a politician they don't like, is to VERY publicly endorse the other one.

4. Dazed and Confused

Just another

attempt to get the focus back onto this story. They don't care whether there is any smoke, any fire or anything at all. They just want the story in the headlines to cut the number of headlines about their own candidate.

1. veti Silver badge

Re: Just another

Yep, both sides know that every time people talk about their candidate, they remember how much they hate them, so they do everything they can to get people to talk about the other candidate.

My working assumption at this point is that Comey is being blackmailed by the Russians.

In any other year, I would have laughed that thought off as ridiculous. But right now? Looks really quite plausible.

1. fajensen

My working assumption at this point is that Comey is being blackmailed by the Russians.

Nah - Comey has Boss Problems. Loretta Lynch, not Putin.

The Department of Justice are the people who decides if charges should be brought based on the evidence collected by the FBI, the FBI are not the ones to make that call. Yet, they do.

Probably Loretta Lynch doesn't want to get involved at all either way. So she places Comey as the bullet sponge - If Hillary wins, the case is properly closed, if Trump wins, that "fuckup Coney was helping Hillary".

Win-Win for Loretta.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> "They don't care whether there is any smoke, any fire or anything at all."

Who you gonna believe, Comey or your own lying eyes?

5. DuncanL
    Headmaster

Are all those typos in the original? That's a pretty poor official communication if so.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

It was written by Pepe the Deplorable Frog!

6. Pen-y-gors

Job vacancy

If Wilma Clintstone wins, I think Corney will be spending Nov 9th loading the contents of his desk into a cardboard box.

Big Brother

Re: Job vacancy

I think he has just sent the message that if that should happen, a fat,disagreeable infodump may hit the MSM.

The FBI is not Hoover's child for naught.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Only, the MSM will just sent it back marked "Not interested."

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Microsoft has no interest in political news. Satya Nadella is flattered that the MicroSoft Monopoly is receiving requests to break out fake news, but would rather have that come out as an Xbox game.

> Only, the MSM will just sent it back marked "Not interested."

I am sure the international press will be glad to open the package.

7. Updraft102

Of course she's still in the clear. All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Covering his own ass?

Trying to fix the issue that might land him accountable under the Hatch Act.

PS: When did El Reg get infested with the alt-right 4channers?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Covering his own ass?

The Hatch Act is only applicable in the opinion of people employed by Hillary. The rest of us know it's not right to cover up a candidate's crimes, regardless of the current date.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> "PS: When did El Reg get infested with the alt-right 4channers?"

You mean all the people disagreeing with the Truth as dispensed by Hillary the Good? And you can drop that alt-right crap. It's a made-up pejorative of the left's, designed to isolate anyone you disagree with into a little box with a neat label on it.

You really like labeling people, it appears.

1. MrDamage Silver badge

> "It's a made-up pejorative of the left's"

Really? Given that it was Richard Spencer who minted the term, thats not much of a "leftist" source of the term.

Perhaps you should perform a hypocrisy check on yourself, given how you accuse others of "You really like labeling people, it appears.", which was immediately proceeded by claims that the term "alt-right" was a "made-up pejorative of the left's".

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Exactly what label did I use on someone. Please elucidate.

2. fajensen

You really like labeling people, it appears.

Tribal people NEED labelling to exist - otherwise they wouldn't know how to think. Multicultural society is basically a tribal society therefore labelling is on a rise.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It appears you are writing a letter of resignation,

Clippy can help, here are some links to templates...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The smell of Weimar

It is strong!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The smell of Weimar

And way down south there's very recently been an arson strike on a black church, complete with the words "Vote Trump" scrawled in spray paint on the offended building. That counts as a "Reichstag", right?

Windows

Black Churches are Parliament Buildings, now?

No, that show was 9/11. It's been some time.

History always repeats as farce. And Hillary is not Hitler but she will wreck things tremendously.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

At the moment it seems the 1930s are more likely to be revisited in the UK than the US.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The prior conclusion they drew was that Clinton broke the law and had been mishandling classified information, but they weren't going to bring charges because lol reasons. Now they've concluded that Clinton and Weiner both broke the law and were mishandling classified information, but they're not going to bring charges because lol reasons.

The madman and the criminal continue to fight it out for the most powerful seat in the world.

1. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
      IT Angle

I'm glad

its between a criminal and a madman.

The criminal will just steal your stuff, the madman will steal your stuff and expect you to smile while he hacks off your limbs with a chainsaw....

A lot of my US friends are voting clinton.. mainly because Trump the president is way to scarey

And come on GOP.... you should be wiping the floor with clinton.... if you'd had the balls to put up a sane candidate in spite of your tea-party alt-right KKK lets put the clock back 50 yrs wing

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm glad

Yeah GOP, what's with the feisty candidate? He's hitting baa-aack! Where's the usual spineless jellyfish, like McCain or Romney? Didn't you know that if you tried to pull a real fighter on us, we would have to declare total war? This is all YOUR FAULT!!! You deserve to have our media friends jump ugly on yo nasty self!

1. Blank Reg

"fiesty"? IS that code for insane, inept, narcissistic, delusional conman?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

It's like when Obama said “If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun.” At least he fights, while the typical GOP candidate campaigns from the fetal position so the press won't call him a meany. Yet they always do anyway. You would thing the GOP would get the message, but they are part of the machine, as is Hillary.

Only Trump stands outside it, and is still standing, despite the bulk of the power elite being arrayed against him, in fact dog-piling on him. The only reason that could happen is because of the Dem candidate's many many negatives. The biggest one is that she's the establishment personified, corrupt to a fault and beyond any real accounting.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

I misspoke. There is a real accounting, and it happens in two days.

2. itzman
            Headmaster

No, its mis-spelled, that's all.

Should be 'feisty'

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

I almost made that mistake myself...

12. cd

The funny thing is how the Republican Party is enabling progress in the US, in spite of itself. Dubya was so bad we elected a black president for the first time to replace him, 'rump is so awful we're looking seriously at a female president.

Regardless of polarity, these are good hurdles to get over and long past due.

Let's not forget how the Reagan administration punished Geraldine Ferraro and her family for running for VP.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge
      Devil

Bingo

If someone told me 16 years ago that USA has a black president and the next candidates are a woman and someone who divorced twice and is now married for the third time to an ex page 3 model I would have told him to go check his meds.

Anything people say, Dubia should get a monument. He was so monumentally bad that USA political life advanced a couple of centuries in a blowback response.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Re: Bingo

I'm sure he's married the model only once...

13. ChubbyBehemoth
    Coffee/keyboard

2016 The year of idiocracy

I can only hope that sanity prevails and the US elects the dishonest candidate over the raving loon who likes dictators and questions why have the bombs and not use them, shouldn't we give them to others as well. That should settle any question you might have had regardless of political colour.

There are two other sad nitwits as well you might contemplate, but they seem to have been informed by their own social media to disregard everything that goes beyond their incredible small world view.

This year whatever happens next will go down as the year that idiocracy really started to get a hold of world politics. The whole concept of giving representative power to mull things over and come up with a decent compromise to get to a solution that nobody really likes, thus showing it is the right solution, has come under increased pressure from the peer groups staring at the genitals of their own tribes only and by lack of information fearing the possibly bigger ones outside their groups. "Is your girlfriends name Wendy?" "No man,... Welcome to Jamaica and have a nice day."

Rather than being a force for good communication, social media seems to have enforced the tendency to go tribal and only talk to people that agree with you, while shouting into the void of others and not taking note of what they shout back at you. Probably because you already blocked their messages.

So here we have it,.. the peer groups creating content relating to their own limited views do such in such massive quantities that time to handle anything beyond that and replying to the next batch of emojie in kind is lacking to obtain an informed position on anything beyond that. Add to that the behaviour of advertisers who reinforce that and we can understand how we got into this unholy mess.

So the question is. How to open up these peer groups to a wider world view and break through the social hermit tendencies as displayed in the political narrative of western democracy?

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Re: 2016 The year of idiocracy

> "I can only hope that sanity prevails and the US elects the dishonest candidate over the raving loon who likes dictators and..."

Whatever Trump is, he's no unstable nut. But you keep that belief close to your heart while you (regretfully no doubt) root for the world's most brazen major criminal to be in charge of the world's mightiest nation. It will help a lot I'm sure.

Abe Snake for President

14. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

Correction, El Reg. There was nothing new related to Hillary Clinton on the laptop concerned

All they found were Huma Abdenin's personal emails and emails that they had already had seen that Huma Abedenin had sent to Secretary Clinton. So Secretary Clinton is off the hook, even if she did have 30K emails deleted, the content of which we do not know.

Anthony Wiener on the other hand may still be incriminated by the emails found on the laptop. The FBI hasn't announced anything yet related to that or an actual indictment of ex-Congressman Wiener and his wiener.

And Huma Abdenin might get in trouble for making false statements, if she did in fact tell the FBI that she had turned over all Clinton-related emails before they found the new trove of Clinton emails on the laptop. That gets into a lot of legalities that I don't know about though, plus I'd need a confirmation that she really did make the alledged statement to the FBI.

15. jake Silver badge

Isn't it funny how this nonsense ...

... brings out the wing-nuts in droves?

It would be absolutely hysterical if it wasn't an actual election involving the future ownership of both SCotUS and the care & handling of the biggest superpower on Earth's nuclear arsenal.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Isn't it funny how this nonsense ...

This is normal.

Any major political upheaval brings the wingnuts in droves. During my youth I did some time as the person responsible for the order and security at a national student anti-austerity strike. Basically - the guy who orders the gorillas drafted from the waterpolo and volleyball team (extra experience in martial arts desirable, but not essential) what to do with disruptive individuals and what containment strategy to apply to them (inclusive of government provocateurs on special branch payroll - they make for the best step counting experience).

Containing, isolating and removing these used to be the normal strategy. What Trump, Farage, etc have done is to specifically try to harness these.

Based on personal experience - that is a recipe for disaster. During a protest (or any political event) there are some people which you need to quietly and gently nudge off the premises and people who need to be taken to the back stairs to count 3 flights of steps with their backside. If you do not, you get the likes of Gilmore junior and company subverting your protest - as it happened during the last student protests in London (that one is a "golden standard" on how not to run a protest).

In any case, we will see tomorrow as it does not matter will Trump win or lose. The collection of assembled nuts is past the critical mass and it will go nuclear straight after that.

16. This post has been deleted by its author

17. kevinonh

RE: "There was no smoking gun in the e-mails, because there was no gun."

Wrong. The DOJ has determined that there is no smoking gun. There were numerous crimes, but the DOJ will not prosecute because Sec. Clinton is a protected person and is above the Law.

There is a basic issue of fairness. Other (e.g. U.S. Navy Officer Kristian Saucier) people have gone to prison for actions less serious than this. The NSA employee that was recently arrested is facing prison, and the DOJ is attempting to have him held without bail. But the Law doesn't apply to Hillary.

Some in the FBI wouldn't let go of the investigation because it is the right thing to do. This letter by Comey signifies that the DOJ has a handle on the trouble-makers and has applied the necessary pressure. The next step after the election is for President Obama to pardon Hillary.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon